Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
^. Was just thinking of a means to lift that spare tire........a small accessory tubular affair that would attach to my High Lift Jack and lift said tire to the mount. Reg USPTO. ;).
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have 37s on a heavy bead lock wheel. I just pick it up and put it on. I often wondered how others do this out on the trail as they are heavy.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I carry a 3” drop hitch for trailers that I put in sideways (90* off). Roll the tire up on that , align the holes and 2” lift. Only have done it once in a parking lot but it made the process less lift intensive.
My tire combo weighs 86#. Light compared to most others.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
For get about it...
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting heavy spare tire by yourself back onto tailgate tire carrier JL spar

hard enough just to get my 37 on the cargo floor.

Sponsored

MtnRubi2020

First Name
Jeff Libby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
My system-and it works...as long as you have a winch... I run the synthetic rope up over the engine hood then over the top & down...attach the spare and then hoist it up to the carrier...I am 73 years old and having had back surgery I need whatever help I can get. The amount of distance the rope goes over the Jeep when under hoist is very short - no damage ever from this process - to me or the Jeep!

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
My system-and it works...as long as you have a winch... I run the synthetic rope up over the engine hood then over the top & down...attach the spare and then hoist it up to the carrier...I am 73 years old and having had back surgery I need whatever help I can get. The amount of distance the rope goes over the Jeep when under hoist is very short - no damage ever from this process - to me or the Jeep!
clever. I like it. I guess in a pinch a ratchet strap could provide a similar capability

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE, 2018 Tesla X LR
brilliant, can you put a video or photos of the process?

Sponsored

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I don’t have a hard top anymore so converted the hoist to a hook. I can use a strap to hoist the tire up.
D3E7BBA0-E8C3-4868-87EE-33BCE818B9FA.jpeg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
In my shop I use my hydraulic cart.

In the wild I figured I'd have a second person or stash it in the trees and retrieve it later (shrug).

Off-Road Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2dr ; 2019 Winnebago Navion

Photo or Video PLEASE !

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Before I settled on the Kuat + bump step solution, I was still recovering from a shoulder injury, the result of a downhill collision with another skier during a Sierra blizzard.

I couldn’t lift the spare tire by myself without a great deal of pain in the shoulder. So I had to have an alternate solution.

I used a hitch extender with a tread plate from MaxxHaul and a SUV dog ramp rated for up to 200 lb dog from Pet Gear, their tri-fold ramp which is made of plastic, has a non-slip (feels like coarse grit sandpaper) surface and folds into the size of a carry-on suitcase. It has a tendency to shed grains of sand from its non-slip surface if it slides around the carpeted surface of the back of the Jeep so it is best to secure it so that it sits on its edges rather than flat.

The elevation of the tread plate is 2” lower than with the Kuat + bump step combo but it was a lot less strain on my shoulder to lift the tire four inches up from the tread plate onto the tailgate tire carrier compared to lifting the tire from the ground onto the tread plate.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting heavy spare tire by yourself back onto tailgate tire carrier D3E7BBA0-E8C3-4868-87EE-33BCE818B9FA

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting heavy spare tire by yourself back onto tailgate tire carrier D3E7BBA0-E8C3-4868-87EE-33BCE818B9FA

This is amazing.
Used to read Pickup Van & 4WD. They had a flat in a 4X4 in the middle of nowhere.

Point is....How in heck does one person change a tire when they're this heavy? Particularly if the ground you're on won't support the weight? And thank heaven we don't have lug bolts as my Mercedes have had. '74 SL was the first, long ago. I had trouble even then.

I've watched Chris Schontz (sp?) go everywhere in his Rubi. Venture4WD How would he change a tire safely when he needed to? Shuddered when he dropped it on its side in Quebec....
Sponsored