Lifting heavy spare tire by yourself back onto tailgate tire carrier

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I found that the Kuat hitch accessory riser combined with the MaxxHaul composite material hitch step are the perfect performance and geometry for getting my 35” spare tire back onto the Teraflex Alpha HD spare carrier.

I squat down on the passenger side of the vehicle and roll the tire towards my belly. I grab the outer rim of the wheel with my left hand and the inner rim with my right hand.

I stand up while pressing the tire treads against my belly and get the tire up onto the hitch step. Once the tire is balanced on the hitch step I can shimmy it into the right position so that the lugs in the tire carrier would be well aligned with bolt pattern on the wheel except that the tire is about 2” too low with respect to the tire carrier’s lugs.

I approach the tire and bear hug it with my knees slightly bent and lift the last two inches onto the tire carrier.

The Kuat is designed for hitch mounted accessories and cannot be used to tow. But it and the plastic hitch step are small enough to keep permanently inside my vehicle without taking up too much space.

I enjoy going off road for the sake of going off road, only rarely. My primary reason for owning a Jeep is to get to places deep in the forest away from other people. I treasure the solitude.

It was important for me to find a system that I could reliably depend upon to change out a spare tire while alone in the woods. Had to scour many websites and read a lot of product dimension information before I found this specific combination of two products that fit the bill.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting heavy spare tire by yourself back onto tailgate tire carrier D44C69B4-45C6-46E4-AEBC-716A4CB1A82E

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting heavy spare tire by yourself back onto tailgate tire carrier 997FD046-6AEB-4D60-9A55-74A390ECE75D
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before I settled on the Kuat + bump step solution, I was still recovering from a shoulder injury, the result of a downhill collision with another skier during a Sierra blizzard.

I couldn’t lift the spare tire by myself without a great deal of pain in the shoulder. So I had to have an alternate solution.

I used a hitch extender with a tread plate from MaxxHaul and a SUV dog ramp rated for up to 200 lb dog from Pet Gear, their tri-fold ramp which is made of plastic, has a non-slip (feels like coarse grit sandpaper) surface and folds into the size of a carry-on suitcase. It has a tendency to shed grains of sand from its non-slip surface if it slides around the carpeted surface of the back of the Jeep so it is best to secure it so that it sits on its edges rather than flat.

The elevation of the tread plate is 2” lower than with the Kuat + bump step combo but it was a lot less strain on my shoulder to lift the tire four inches up from the tread plate onto the tailgate tire carrier compared to lifting the tire from the ground onto the tread plate.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting heavy spare tire by yourself back onto tailgate tire carrier 0B3C3299-BC75-4B52-91FE-D900CE566D8D

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting heavy spare tire by yourself back onto tailgate tire carrier 610551A9-01D2-4A4E-8A85-A05F3FFEE43A

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting heavy spare tire by yourself back onto tailgate tire carrier B8FCD226-E083-4E07-8D2C-685DEE28419A

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
That seems like a great solution. When you get into the 37” combo they start getting heavy and 40s are miserable. I cheat now and use a forklift to mount them. Hopefully this can help save someones back

brett

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My 37” on a beadlock wheel sure sucks to get on the carrier. What I do is lift it up and set an edge on the bumper, with the tire angled back towards me to clear the tire carrier. Then I readjust my grip position and bear hug it into place.

I’m 36, and I know this method won’t work for me forever!

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 37” on a beadlock wheel sure sucks to get on the carrier. What I do is lift it up and set an edge on the bumper, with the tire angled back towards me to clear the tire carrier. Then I readjust my grip position and bear hug it into place.

I’m 36, and I know this method won’t work for me forever!
+1 for the Rubicon’s steel bumper.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I do not want any kind of cheating method for getting my spare on the back. I lift up my 35" like doing a bicep curl with my hands lifting 2 of the spokes.

By doing it the LEAST practical way, using the most strength, I have convinced myself that I CANNOT increase my tire size:)

I need every trick in the book to keep me from making more changes.

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
I used an 8" board, roll the tire up to a folding platform to hold it, about bumper height. then sit on the platform and get the tire up on my knees. Getting old isn't fun.

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not want any kind of cheating method for getting my spare on the back. I lift up my 35" like doing a bicep curl with my hands lifting 2 of the spokes.

By doing it the LEAST practical way, using the most strength, I have convinced myself that I CANNOT increase my tire size:)

I need every trick in the book to keep me from making more changes.
that’s one kind of life hack. after hiking or wading or scrambling over a moraine field all day the last thing I want to do is risk a back injury before having to drive 1 or 2 hours out of the forest to get back to pavement and then drive 6 hours on the freeway to get home.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Completely agree. So we are in agreement that 35” is perfect:)

Seriously, if i had to swap it on the trail, i am going to do it the easiest way possible. (Offer a buddy a six pack to do it for me)

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
If I ever have to change mine on the trail, I'm praying my wife has one of those superhuman strength when somebody is about to die events that you read about. Working so far but I haven't had a flat.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The easiest way to get your spare back onto the carrier is to get the tire up and rested on a hitch extension or bumper then rotate the tire so the holes in the wheel line up with bolts on the carrier. squat down facing the tire and tail gate and place your hands flat against the tailgate behind the spare with the bottom of the tire resting on your forearms. with your palms firmly against the tailgate, lift the tire with your forearms as you stand up a little, and when the holes line up with the bolts, the tire just falls right onto the bolts. way too simple

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
I have a Heavy Duty aluminum draw bar that I leave on my jeep at all times. I have a Rock Hard Patriot rear bumper with a swinging tire carrier. Nice kit.....and my steel bumper can take a lick. Also the draw bar is quite stout.....and has a 10,000 tow rating. I put it on so it "kicks up" instead of down and I do not mount a ball on it. It serves very nicely to protect my spare tire. If anyone rear ends me....they are gonna have some damage....and the angle will drive their vehicles nose down....away from my spare tire. I like it.

I'm now 73 years.....and when I lift my 35 Nitto Ridge Grapplers with Method wheels.....I think I am lifting about 110 lbs. At this point I am able to muscle the tire/wheel combo onto that draw bar.....then regrip.....and lift it onto the studs. It's about all I can do.....but at this point it is a solution. Not sure what a woman or someone of less stature would do? Or, not sure what I will do in the time to come.......maybe a product idea for someone?: A spare tire lift that mounts to the receiver?

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I ever have to change mine on the trail, I'm praying my wife has one of those superhuman strength when somebody is about to die events that you read about. Working so far but I haven't had a flat.
well if you tell your wife you have to buy a dog ramp as a service accessory for your vehicle she might want to leave you on the trail or a nursing care facility for those who are suffering cognitive decline. I’m only middle aged but I do believe I heard the word “ridiculous” instead of “demented” from the little lady when the Amazon package arrived.

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Completely agree. So we are in agreement that 35” is perfect:)

Seriously, if i had to swap it on the trail, i am going to do it the easiest way possible. (Offer a buddy a six pack to do it for me)
My 35‘s are manageable at 104 lbs. Easiest option in most cases may be to carry a can of fix-a-flat and slowly drive back to civilization. I don’t typically air down but I do bring an air compressor.
Sponsored