Sponsored

Lifting and car seats

mackerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Firecracker JLUR
I would like to do some light-moderate trails in my new JLUR and am an avid camper, but would also like to have a few kids in the next few years and the Jeep is my daily driver. what impact does a 2.5" with 35" tires have on putting kids and car seats in the back, does the extra few inches make a big difference?
Sponsored

Snowjeep

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Ridgeline
I would like to do some light-moderate trails in my new JLUR and am an avid camper, but would also like to have a few kids in the next few years and the Jeep is my daily driver. what impact does a 2.5" with 35" tires have on putting kids and car seats in the back, does the extra few inches make a big difference?
I don't have a JLUR yet but as parent and with some knowledge of how cramped the back seating area still is in these vehicles, just the thought of having to try to get an infant seat in and out of that space even in a stock JLUR makes me think you will need to be a super patient person. Infant seats are a pain in the ass even in minivans where you can actually walk into the vehicle to lock them in to place. There are more reasons why the Wrangler isn't a good fit for kids to be riding in but you probably already know that. In the end it will be a headache no matter what, just make sure you get a good side step installed to help you in the process.

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
I have a lifted JKUS and a JLUR in order. Sure there are minivans and SUVs but the practicality of those over the JLUs arenā€™t worth it to me. Iā€™ve had kids 2-4 years in age in my Jeep and itā€™s wasnt too bad, they eventually crawl into it themselves.

I also venture to state they will love the trails, and with the top off theyā€™ll have a great experience. Maybe itā€™s my selfish mind finding any benefit to children for my desires, or maybe Iā€™m actually correct and if kids had a vote theyā€™d pick the Jeep !

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Did it with my JK. However, it really sucks if you have to be the one buckling them in. I didnā€™t do the lift and tires until they could both do at least that much. Climbing up and over them would have been a consistent nightmare.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I have a lifted JKUS and a JLUR in order. Sure there are minivans and SUVs but the practicality of those over the JLUs arenā€™t worth it to me. Iā€™ve had kids 2-4 years in age in my Jeep and itā€™s wasnt too bad, they eventually crawl into it themselves.

I also venture to state they will love the trails, and with the top off theyā€™ll have a great experience. Maybe itā€™s my selfish mind finding any benefit to children for my desires, or maybe Iā€™m actually correct and if kids had a vote theyā€™d pick the Jeep !
I have 2 sons, ages 2 & 4. I do agree that while your kids are still in infant seats (up to age 9 months or so), it will be a bit of a pain to lift the carseat up to the dock. But once they are old enough to actually sit in a normal carseat (one that you just leave in your backseat), its fine. My 4 year old can climb up himself, and my 2 year old isn't bad to lift. I actually kinda prefer it to my Cherokee, because the higher seat height means I'm essentially latching them in at normal arm level instead of bending over.

So summation - pain for the first 9 months (but its never really easy). No problem after that. I drive a Moab on factory 32's. And my 5'3 wife is able to strap them in just fine. If the Jeep was 2.5" higher it might start to get higher than she'd be comfortable doing. So it's a tough call, and partially depends on how tall you are.

Sponsored

gcnd06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BW JLUR (lemon'd), 2019 SG JLUR
I have an infant seat in the center of my stock JLUR. It doesn't fit comfortably behind either of the driver or passenger seats. It's a pain in the ass to get baby in and out. My 5'4" wife can't do it at all.

With that said, it's totally doable, just not nearly as easy as a normal vehicle.

I assume it will be much easier once the little one can be forward facing.

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
I have an infant seat in the center of my stock JLUR. It doesn't fit comfortably behind either of the driver or passenger seats. It's a pain in the ass to get baby in and out. My 5'4" wife can't do it at all.

With that said, it's totally doable, just not nearly as easy as a normal vehicle.

Did you get the leather package with the center console? Iā€™m intrigued to see how your car seat fits with that protruding console headrest

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I have a 4 month old and a stock JLUR. I have the base in the middle seat, safest spot in case of side impact from what I understand. I am 5-10 and I have no issues putting it in and out..takes just seconds.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
I would like to do some light-moderate trails in my new JLUR and am an avid camper, but would also like to have a few kids in the next few years and the Jeep is my daily driver. what impact does a 2.5" with 35" tires have on putting kids and car seats in the back, does the extra few inches make a big difference?[/QUOTE]
They always do buddy.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Joking aside - I have a JLUR, Mopar lift and 35s... and a little guy that is 2 months old.

That being said, it's really not that difficult putting his car seat in and out, even my wife can do it, and she's 5'8. I think it's actually better because you don't have to bend over to get him out or in like you would in a regular car.

My issue is MY SEAT! I am 6'2 so the driver's seat is all the way to the back and lowered and all that (just I can fit comfortably)... I had to adjust my seat so his car seat could fit in the middle. No biggie, I'd take being cramped any day so he can be comfortable :rock:

Sponsored

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Interesting. My experience is completely different to yours and I also have an infant seat in the center. I am 6'2 though - but we have the Mopar 2" lift and 35s...

Wondering if the brand matters? Mine is the Britax B Safe 35.

Also I don't have leather seats.

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
1st off for light to moderate trails you prob dont need a lift and bigger shoes. Go out on the trails you wanna run 1st,and see if its even necessary.

And from my perpsective my wife and I come from a world of 2 doors(lifted and stock). Shes 5'2" on a good day. We have 5 kids ages 14 to just turned 1. Getting an infant seat and infant in a 4 door is friggin cake lifted or not compared to our ole YJ n TJ(still own one). But were not the normal kinda people either. Weve always laughed and smiled getting our kids in and outta jeeps,and they love em too and have grown up with them there whole lives.

YMMV ;)

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I don't have a JLUR yet but as parent and with some knowledge of how cramped the back seating area still is in these vehicles, just the thought of having to try to get an infant seat in and out of that space even in a stock JLUR makes me think you will need to be a super patient person. Infant seats are a pain in the ass even in minivans where you can actually walk into the vehicle to lock them in to place. There are more reasons why the Wrangler isn't a good fit for kids to be riding in but you probably already know that. In the end it will be a headache no matter what, just make sure you get a good side step installed to help you in the process.
With my 6 year old and 3 month old kids, I find the JLUR to be pretty easy to deal with. The front passenger seat is moved forward to accommodate th infant seat, but it is easy to get the seat in and out without any fuss. Iā€™ve owned several vehicles since Iā€™ve had children and I find the JLUR just as easy as both full size crew cab trucks Iā€™ve had as well as the full size sedan. The wife has a new Acadia Denali and I constantly rub my pant leg against the rear tire getting the baby in and out. No issues with the Jeep. I actually live the cargo space in the Jeep too. Works well with a bob stroller and everything else that comes with the kiddos. The 6 years old loves it. Sheā€™s used to the Jeep life and gets in by herself.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
It is easier putting them in a lifted jeep.
Rear facing baby seats will be a little cramped, try to get the smallest one you can find.
But once you turn them to front facing, there is plenty of room.
I have 1 front facing for my son 3.5 yrs old, and my daughter is in a booster now.
For awhile I had 1 front facing, and 1 rear facing in my 2000 Cherokee, that was cramped, but was easy to put the baby seat in, lifted 4.5 on 33s.

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
Interesting. My experience is completely different to yours and I also have an infant seat in the center. I am 6'2 though - but we have the Mopar 2" lift and 35s...

Wondering if the brand matters? Mine is the Britax B Safe 35.

Also I don't have leather seats.
So you also agree the leather seats might prove difficult because of the center console?
Sponsored