Sponsored

Lifting a Jeep in steps? Is it possible?

DJP1812

First Name
Dominick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Jeep Wagoneer, '22 JLUR 4xE
Interested in a 2 - 3" suspension lift for my '22 JLUR4xe. I'm currently thinking of getting the AEV 2"" Spacer lift to hold me over as I build out the rest of the Jeep. Then looking into a real 2 - 3" Suspension kit.

Is there another path I can take, like buying the suspension in pieces? The goal being to buy quality parts a little at a time. For example, should I get new extended sway links or Fox Shocks instead? I can build it as I go? Any insight is appreciated or links to other threads. Been searching but having to learn a lot at the same time.

Thanks!
Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
From a labor and downtime perspective, tear it down once and put it back together. I understand this is not what you want to hear. Just accumulate what you actually want the end goal to be, save the parts for one install, and avoid spending money and time on stuff that will just be replaced again later.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Could always just lift front/back as you have time/money ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting a Jeep in steps? Is it possible? 1661875210242

lol, but for serious, just build up the parts over time and do the job once. More cost/time effective to not put in a spacer, tear it out, put in a suspension lift. My MO is to usually build up parts slowly and then install all at once. Works out fine, just have to be patient about waiting.

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I bought bits and pieces on my lift, build thread in my signature. I bought the products in about a 3 month period while saving (tires and wheels last), then had everything installed at once. If you are handy and can install yourself, go for it whenever a new part comes in. Otherwise, if you are having a mechanic do it, I would wait until you have everything to be installed at once. I am very happy with my spacer lift as I really didn't want to go about a 3 inch lift, which most spring lifts do, even if they are listed at 2.5.

As soon as you do add spacers or springs, you'll want to make sure you get longer lca's, track bars to keep axles aligned and longer shocks. Otherwise, spacers only will give you a floaty ride and bad steering.

With good quality parts, you need patience. Do it right the first time.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Why do you want a lift? If its for serious rock crawling, than you can buy control arms first, than steering components, than springs, then shocks.
Here goes unpopular opinion. I have AEV spacer lift and longer control arms from mopar lift. It drives great, and its amazing off road. I did pretty hard trails like Trifecta in Moab and had no problems. Only thing limiting my articulation are my stock Rubicon JT shocks (same size as JL) and with current set up I can still add couple of inches longer shocks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting a Jeep in steps? Is it possible? IMG_4691

Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I had a whole plan drafted out how I would do it with adjustable control arms, track bars, end links, etc... In the end I decided to just say "yes it's possible." You'd just be less likely to have all one manufacturer in the end, which is really desirable since all those parts are manufactured to work together. That doesn't mean that it would be worse, but would just take more planning IMO.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You can do it in steps, if you stick to the plan. Add 2" taller springs and you'll have that done, but you may have caster issues (same with springs or spacers), then add control arms. If you want to add track bars, cool. You're done. All of that can be done in steps, but you'll have to live with the changes until you're finally done. None of the parts will require you to do the same work twice...well, minimally.

If you want more than a two-inch lift, I'd probably buy all the parts over time and do the labor once. Living with the caster and axle centering issues with a taller lift will be more dramatic, so just save the parts in a pile and install over a weekend.

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

I put my spacer lift on by myself because it’s very cheap. That allowed me to mount 37. I waited a few months for some extra cash and purchased the 3.5 MC game changer lift. You can definitely do it in phases but buy once cry once 😅
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting a Jeep in steps? Is it possible? BD33FF81-26ED-48D7-9067-663D0F56DE0E

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting a Jeep in steps? Is it possible? B6EA6C57-B93E-4325-A023-376457515838

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put my spacer lift on by myself because it’s very cheap. That allowed me to mount 37. I waited a few months for some extra cash and purchased the 3.5 MC game changer lift. You can definitely do it in phases but buy once cry once 😅
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting a Jeep in steps? Is it possible? B6EA6C57-B93E-4325-A023-376457515838

Just out of curiosity. What did you get with real lift that you did not have with spacers?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Interested in a 2 - 3" suspension lift for my '22 JLUR4xe. I'm currently thinking of getting the AEV 2"" Spacer lift to hold me over as I build out the rest of the Jeep. Then looking into a real 2 - 3" Suspension kit.

Is there another path I can take, like buying the suspension in pieces? The goal being to buy quality parts a little at a time. For example, should I get new extended sway links or Fox Shocks instead? I can build it as I go? Any insight is appreciated or links to other threads. Been searching but having to learn a lot at the same time.

Thanks!
Springs and spacers are simply two ways to establish ride height, springs don't make a kit "real". Either way you make the ride height change, the other components that you need are the same. You can droop out pretty far with stock springs and spacers without unseating, especially with the taller 4xe springs. That said, you are probably looking at a total difference of $350 springs vs spacers.

If you are piecing together, I highly recommend installing it yourself so you don't get clobbered with labor.

I've pieced together two completely different lifts on ours (first round the spring lifts were not available). It is cheaper to buy a complete lift kit, but it's not so much that I would wait. The big thing to look for is not buying the same part twice.

One important thing is knowing what you want to end up with. If you want 37, get 37s the first time. If you want a spring kit, get the springs the first time.

Ride Height: Pick springs or spacers so you can do it once
Shocks: with a 2-3" lift, you'll end up with less than 2" of droop if you don't change the shocks, or at least extend them.
Sways: You do not want to invert the sway bar. Extending the shock droop is what you are fighting here.
Caster: You only need one set of front control arms to adjust. Uppers OR lowers. Adjustable uppers are normally less expensive. Mopar lowers are the cheapest, but like I mentioned before, I don't recommend buying something you will replace later.
Bump: Unless you DIY hockey puck front bumps, you'll have to pull the springs, so put those in with the front springs/spacers if possible. Bumps will determine tire clearance, but also protect your shocks from full compression.

Sponsored

TEAMSLO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURD
This is not a recommendation, just the way I did it as I had sold my JT Mojave which I kept the 37s from.

Upon purchase, wasn't quite sure of the total direction so just purchased the Teraflex 2.5" spacer lift with shock extensions. This allowed me to put the 37's on and go wheeling.

Fast forward a month and I had recently ordered and installed the SP2.2 3.5 aDAPT shocks good for 2-4.5 inches of lift. The shocks obviously replaced the OEM shocks and Teraflex shock extensions. Ride is really nice, better than stock already, and now waiting on the full suspension to come in.

So in general, wasted a few hundred but at the time, just wasn't sure on the direction I was going and took a bit of time to free up some $$$

20220822_180134039.jpg

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

Just out of curiosity. What did you get with real lift that you did not have with spacers?
Basically everything…8 adjustable controls arms, front and rear adjustable track bars, new springs,
New shocks.

spacer lift just came with blocks and shock extensions.

Mc lift:
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting a Jeep in steps? Is it possible? ED1E0778-070B-4735-AF0F-E9CA60C23B6A

Spacer lift

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting a Jeep in steps? Is it possible? D221BF33-2FD9-4A1E-8BE1-23C77A2D8A95

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I meant ride wise or off-road capability. Was there a notable difference?
Like I said above I have AEV 2” spacer lift and its great of and on road. I can add longer shocks and I will have more than enough articulation with 315 tires.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Another thing, you only need to lift jeep and take the tires off for two things, front bump stops and the springs/spacers.

Every other item can be done one at a time, on the ground: sways, shocks, rear bumps, all 8 control arms, track bars.

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

Sorry, I meant ride wise or off-road capability. Was there a notable difference?
Offroad capability…Way more flex. The ride for me has gotten worse as I have lifted it. Stock was the best for me. Ik some people have different experiences though!
Sponsored