Sponsored

Lifting 2018 JL and Warranty Coverage

WotanDietz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I have a 2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport with basic 3 year/36k warranty and 60k power train warranty. I want to lift my Jeep 3.5 inches and throw on some 37 tires. My question is will this void my stock warranty? Didn't know if I should wait until warranty expires or smartest way to approach this. Thanks,

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG
Sponsored

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Usually you just void any warranty on parts you replace. So if you add a lift, any future suspension issues will not be covered.

Also, I hope you plan on modifying a little bit more on that sport if you're going to put 37s on it.

OP
OP
WotanDietz

WotanDietz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Joe. I still haven't got all the details of what will have to be modified but looking into it.
Extreme Terrain tells me that my tires will extend 2 inches from fenders so I'll have to remove/modify those.
Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated. Brand new to this so know very little but learning.

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
You're definitely going to need to re-gear to handle tires of that size on a sport.

KPersCO

First Name
KP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon, '13 WRX Wagon
Occupation
Engineer
This was one of the questions I asked when we talked about the warranty during purchase. I was told as long as the lift is under 4" you're good. But Jeep Cares should be able to verify.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i wouldnt put 37's on the dana 30 front axle myself. thats alot of extra weight on a very small axle tube. might wanna look at a dana prorock 44 or the mopar performace dana 44 axle set to beef them up enough for those tires. thats my 2 cents. you could go the route of the mopar 2" lift and thats going to bring the sport up over 3" and you'll be able to run 35's. or you can swap to highline rubi fenders to clear the 37's with that kit. your also going to need a big offset wheel or wheel spacers

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
if you going to put 37 on your sport, you need to re-gear that will cost you arm and leg, You going to replace those fenders and at least minimum of 2 inch lift . We talking about $6k to $7k just to upgrade to 37. Should bought a Rubicon instead. I also read somewhere it will void your warranty right away if you put 37 on it. 35 you can get away .

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
The harsh truth...Unless you have the dealer install a Mopar lift, if you roll up with 37s and a 3.5 inch lift Jeep can deny your warranty and unless your some billionaire or have a huge following on Instagram or YouTube, you probably won't be able to fight it. Now you could roll up on a 6 inch lift 40s and have a window regulator replaced under warranty but you might run into issues with your powertrain warranty. You really just have to know your dealer and trust them. In reality, most of us don't worry about a lift voiding our warranty (even if we don't use the Mopar lift) because most dealers aren't aholes about it.

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
You can never go wrong talking to the dealer that you are servicing your Jeep with. I'd be forthcoming with the information and do the conversation via email so you can have a record. I did that with my TRD Tacoma and there were no issues. They said that parts directly affected by the lift and tires will be scrutinized when it comes to warranty, I never had an issue with that, and there was a bunch of warranty work done. The service manager actually said that they like when people lift them because it is a good ad for them. They did specify a max lift height of 3" would be supported.

I put a 2" lift and 35's on my JLUR the day after I bought it. never talked to the dealer about it, but bought everything off of them. It has been to the dealer a BUNCH of times for warranty work, and the lift and tires have never been mentioned. This included looking at a rear noise and steering quirks.

From following the forums, not only for jeeps, it is clear that there are modified-friendly service departments, and service departments that love modifications as a way to deny any claims. Do your homework.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
I have a 2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport with basic 3 year/36k warranty and 60k power train warranty. I want to lift my Jeep 3.5 inches and throw on some 37 tires. My question is will this void my stock warranty? Didn't know if I should wait until warranty expires or smartest way to approach this. Thanks,

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG
So I have a funny feeling you're not going to be doing any real hard wheeling. I'm just guessing mostly dirt/muddy trails and stuff like that. If that's the case get yourself the Rancho 3.5" sport lift at Northridge 4x4 for $643.83 and that includes shocks. If you have an automatic trans you can get away with 37s but you'll want gears down the road. If you have a 6 speed and you don't ever plan on gears stick with the 35s. Why did I suggest you go with the Rancho lift? Because I think you're just looking for a sweet looking ride to drive around and that's fine. The Rancho offers what you'll need for not a lot of cash. If you're planning on really tearing it up wheeling then forget the 37s all together, you should have bought the Rubicon with the bigger axels to go along with 37s. Your fenders will be fine with 35s or 37s, just some very minor trimming if any at all. This will make for a sweet little beach cruiser and you'll be happy. Some people here forget that not everyone is looking to go out rock crawling or running it hard. Either way build what you want and be careful of a lot of what some people say on message boards. Also most of us never build it the perfect way the first time. When I ordered my JL I started ordering all the parts for that "perfect build". Yeah I did a pretty good job and knew what I was doing after owning a few Jeeps and still I found myself buying more parts and changing them. Truth be told that part of the fun with Wranglers, always making changes and building what you need and want, not what some other knucklehead tells you to. Also the warranty, go to a dealer who has a lot of lifted and tricked out jeeps. These guys usually are super cool and won't mess with you or your warranty. Hell I have a 4" lift and 38s and my dealer swapped out the steering stabilizer under warranty during an oil change and I didn't even ask him to look at it. Picking your service dealer is very important. Enjoy!

Sponsored

OP
OP
WotanDietz

WotanDietz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of great advice, thank you all.
I guess I won't be doing 37's and regearing, too much money for me lol.
I'm not looking to do serious off road, more around my island/ beach.
I'm going to look into lifting my jeep with the Rancho 3.5 and going with 35's.
Also checking with dealership I bought it at about warranty being an issue.
Next time I'll look at a Rubicon if I have the $.

OP
OP
WotanDietz

WotanDietz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey y’all, I went with Mopar 2.5” lift, 35” Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ p3 tires with Pro Comp wheels. Also put on a Red Rock front bumper with Smittybuilt winch. So stoked .
Question with Tires, off-road I would drop to 20 psi but everyday blacktop driving what is a good psi?
Wheel says 50psi max load. I was wondering what is most efficient psi for tire health.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting 2018 JL and Warranty Coverage B9745A6B-13D2-4CFB-828F-F4A4931E7072
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting 2018 JL and Warranty Coverage B9745A6B-13D2-4CFB-828F-F4A4931E7072
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting 2018 JL and Warranty Coverage 85AF125F-9B49-4FF3-B33D-86570CDED326
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting 2018 JL and Warranty Coverage 85AF125F-9B49-4FF3-B33D-86570CDED326
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting 2018 JL and Warranty Coverage 83DEB831-8F5F-4E4E-BA16-68BCF82495DC
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifting 2018 JL and Warranty Coverage 83DEB831-8F5F-4E4E-BA16-68BCF82495DC

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Eighteen months ago my local Jeep dealer made a stink of the 2-inch Mopar lift and 35-inch tires on my 2018 JKUR to get out of having to do unrelated warranty work on it --i.e., a squeaky driver seat and a loud rattle on the A-pillar. We got into an argument to the point that I refuse to take my Jeep there to this day.

Thing is, FCA pays dealers lower rates for warranty work. If your dealer is too busy or simply doesn't want to bother with warranty work, it will make an issue of any significant modifications to get out of its obligation.

Is it legal? Probably not. Are all dealers like this? Certainly not. But the chances that a Jeep dealer will make an issue of an aftermarket 3.5 inch lift and 37 inch tires are not insignificant.

I am keeping my JLU Sahara largely stock and I take it to another dealer 30 miles away. These Jeeps have too many finicky electronics to have the warranty voided.
Sponsored