Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Try this
Let your 3.6 sit over night and then remove the oil filter
What you will see is almost dry oil filter
What you will not see is an oil filter dripping with oil
All the oil has drained out of the oil filter housing
What you're saying contradicts the data/flow charts posted above by @CarbonSteel ?
Sponsored

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Here are the instruction
It is fairly easy
Its one of the best things I have done to my Willys
I ask Jon at RPM extreme many question before I ordered it
I ask him if he had any module fail and he said NO
I will be installing one on my wife's Rubicon soon

IMG_1833.JPG

IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
I don't care about any data/flow charts
Like I said
Remove you oil filter after it has been sitting over night
You will be surprised on how empty the filter housing is (completely empty)

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I don't care about any data/flow charts
Like I said
Remove you oil filter after it has been sitting over night
You will be surprised on how empty the filter housing is (completely empty)
Try this instead:

1. Drain the oil out of the engine without pulling the oil filter.
2. Pull the oil filter.
3. More oil will drain out.

The oil galleries are not empty and that is where the additional oil comes from. The oil filter tip acts as an anti-drain back valve. The oil filter itself will not hold oil, but that does not mean that you are experiencing a dry start.

In addition, it is not the start-up that causes the camshaft and rockers to fail. EVEN IF there was a dry start, there is not enough load for a long enough period of time without lubrication to cause the amount of wear that wipes the camshaft lobes--there is still residual oil remaining on the surfaces.

To hear it explained in this thread, you would swear the engine runs for 10 minutes with no oil. ?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Seems like a waste of money to me. But I am skeptical by nature so probably not a good judge. If that would have actually fixed the failure for the cam and rockers I imagine Jeep would have figured something out.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
My 3.6 never exhibits cam/lifter tick upon cold startup, however it does develop a bit after about 45 seconds of running on that cold startup. I raise the idle up slowly to about 2500 and it disappears.... never to do it again until the next cold start cycle.

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
This^^^^^^^^^^^

over 200,000 miles on 4 pentastars, no lifter issue. Stock oem mopar oil. I did have light ticking on a 2013, eliminated with oil viscosity modifier from lucas. I do not plan anything special on my 23.

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Seems like a waste of money to me. But I am skeptical by nature so probably not a good judge. If that would have actually fixed the failure for the cam and rockers I imagine Jeep would have figured something out.
This^^. If there was a problem to begin with. We get so wrapped around bad things going on, when it's really the 1 in 1,000,000 who have the time to post an issue here. At the height of the 2013 block casting failures which they did admit and fix, they reported something like less than 1% failure rates.

These web pages are great for laying out issues folks have, and what they did to fix them. The external spin on oil filter is not a bad idea, but I do not see evidence it has stopped a problem.

My 23 runs pretty warm oil temps, upwards 230, when my 3 previous ran maybe 210-220. Worried? Meh, more like watching, and might change to 0-30/40 next summer.

Do mercedes owners have problems with their fancy cars? Heck yeah, lots. The exception is the dealer set bending over backward to fix. So, why waist their valuable richy time on a message board, that's for us poor souls.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
And there's the million dollar question...
What is the cause? ?
Design
Metallurgy
Engine load
Operating temperatures
Oil viscosity
Oil change interval
Use case
Air filter efficiency
Oil filter efficiency

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
This^^. If there was a problem to begin with. We get so wrapped around bad things going on, when it's really the 1 in 1,000,000 who have the time to post an issue here. At the height of the 2013 block casting failures which they did admit and fix, they reported something like less than 1% failure rates.

These web pages are great for laying out issues folks have, and what they did to fix them. The external spin on oil filter is not a bad idea, but I do not see evidence it has stopped a problem.

My 23 runs pretty warm oil temps, upwards 230, when my 3 previous ran maybe 210-220. Worried? Meh, more like watching, and might change to 0-30/40 next summer.

Do mercedes owners have problems with their fancy cars? Heck yeah, lots. The exception is the dealer set bending over backward to fix. So, why waist their valuable richy time on a message board, that's for us poor souls.
I’m not afraid of the Pentastar, but 3 of the 5 I’ve owned either had or started the tick. One of them twice, on different sides. I’ve just learned to get on the repair quickly so that the cam lobe doesn’t get damaged. I’m also not convinced there is a known fix. Some get it, and some don’t. It could come down to a tiny metal burr getting into the bearing during manufacturing.

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
You are Right
when you drain the oil first and then open up the oil filter housing you will get maybe 1/2 cup of additional oil coming out the drain plug
Far less then the oil filter housing holds
With the Baxter you now have two check valves
One in the Baxter adapter and one in the silicon anti drain back valve in the spin on oil filter (see picture)
How many time have you taken a spin on oil filter off a car and had oil spill out all over the place
Now let you 3.6 set over night and then remove the oil filter cap pull out the filter and you will see IT IS NOT SOAKED IN OIL . It not even dripping oil. The oil filter housing is empty

pur.jpg

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
over 200,000 miles on 4 pentastars, no lifter issue. Stock oem mopar oil. I did have light ticking on a 2013, eliminated with oil viscosity modifier from lucas. I do not plan anything special on my 23.
And that's another annoyance of the Pentastar. You can have noisy rocker arms that sometimes don't chew up the cams, but it's rare. It just depends on how well the planets are aligned.

Mine started getting noisier earlier this year despite oil changes every 5k. Only a couple of the rocker arms were toast and the lobes were just starting to show surface wear, but one actually looked like a manufacturing defect of the cam itself. However, you couldn't get a lot of these parts a year ago. Everything was backordered. I bit the bullet and replaced it all when the dealership managed to have everything in stock because I wasn't confident that would last.
Sponsored