Lifted Suspension Issues - Need Advice

Lobowolf

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Diesel JLUR
Hoping some of you with suspension experience can help me. I have a 2020 JLUR Eco Diesel. Installed the lift myself (never again 😀). It's a Rock Krawler 3.5" No Limits Mid Arm Lift. I've taken it to 3 different shops for alignment. It still does not ride well. Feels like the back end sways to me. Last alignment shop that is a 4x4 shop said it is normal for a lifted jeep. Took it to a different 4x4 shop after that to regear, they called Rock Krawler and spoke to Jeremy who said I have the wrong track bar in the rear. Problem is, I don't see a different track bar on thier website or anyone else's. Feels way to weird and a little dangerous to be normal. It looks to me like the rear axle is too far back, which is causing the coils to bow and the rear track bar to hit the gas tank and exhaust. Thoughts?

Second issue that may not be an issue but annoys me to look at it, is the front sway bar links are always twisted to the passenger side. My front axle is about 1/4" off and alignment shops all said it's ok, that little bit doesn't effect anything. Thoughts?

Appreciate any feedback. I'm slightly ignorant when it comes to suspensions, but great with tools, which is why I did the lift myself. With that said, feel free to educate me about any of this.

20210225_100549.jpg

20210225_100749.jpg

20210225_100751.jpg

20210225_100522.jpg

20210225_100538.jpg

20210225_100857.jpg

20210225_101015.jpg

20210225_101003.jpg

20210225_101120.jpg

20210225_101851.jpg

20210225_101902.jpg

20210225_101813.jpg
Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Wow ... that's a mess. I'm assuming you did not take any measurements, or pictures, before you started swapping pieces? Frame of reference is vital when tackling a new project.

Rock Krawler has a pretty good reputation so my first inclination is you have some parts in the wrong places. The rear coil doesn't look like it's even seated (could just be my eyes though). LCAs/UCAs could be in the wrong places. Springs could be upside down or on the wrong ends. Could be you were sent/ordered the wrong kit.

My personal suggestion: Take it back out and reinstall the factory parts. Then call Rock Krawler and confirm you have all of the correct parts. Insist they identify each piece by part number and confirm that you do in fact have that part number in your possession.

Once you have all the correct parts, and I'm leaning towards you don't, watch some install videos (i.e. more than one) on how to install that specific kit. Again, frame of reference is vital.

Installing a lift kit is not rocket science and anyone handy with tools should be able to accomplish it. Steering geometry on the other hand is challenging, but still not rocket science.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

WOOOOW never seen rear coils that bowed even on full articulation. some thing here is reallllllly off. its like you have the control arms in the wrong spot. the rear axle is pushed back way to far. and your caster looks really bad. from the pictures. spring is not seated correctly either. I would have the shop pull it all out and start over with checking all the part numbers and all that fun jazz. Im sorry your going through that trouble seems like RK might have sent the wrong kit

4LOWYO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 TJ Sport
Did you adjust the control arms to a spec given by RK? There is a chart on the forum, I believe it was Clayton that provided it, that is a pretty good reference for control arm length.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lobowolf

Lobowolf

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Diesel JLUR
Wow ... that's a mess. I'm assuming you did not take any measurements, or pictures, before you started swapping pieces? Frame of reference is vital when tackling a new project.

Rock Krawler has a pretty good reputation so my first inclination is you have some parts in the wrong places. The rear coil doesn't look like it's even seated (could just be my eyes though). LCAs/UCAs could be in the wrong places. Springs could be upside down or on the wrong ends. Could be you were sent/ordered the wrong kit.

My personal suggestion: Take it back out and reinstall the factory parts. Then call Rock Krawler and confirm you have all of the correct parts. Insist they identify each piece by part number and confirm that you do in fact have that part number in your possession.

Once you have all the correct parts, and I'm leaning towards you don't, watch some install videos (i.e. more than one) on how to install that specific kit. Again, frame of reference is vital.

Installing a lift kit is not rocket science and anyone handy with tools should be able to accomplish it. Steering geometry on the other hand is challenging, but still not rocket science.
Thank you for replying. The only video I could find for this lift on a JL was a 2.5" lift. Which I watched over and over and over. Actually had it on my laptop and the paper instruction for my lift next to it constantly comparing as I installed. Originally, I was sent the wrong rear coils and had to wait over a week while the jeep sat on Jack's waiting to receive the correct coils..

whiskey jack

First Name
marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
I'm no expert at all, but looks like your rear uppers are too long and its pushing your axle back and tilting it. Your pinion angle must be horrendous.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Rear track bar looks backwards. Hard to tell from the pics, looks like wrong rear uppers as stated before and or wrong lowers, would need part numbers to confirm. Also the twisted front sway links are not a big deal, the joints are orientated the same way so you can just twist the whole thing back straight. The rear is for sure a mess.

nevermind track bar looks oriented right according to the zerk. Its just wrong one. You didnt mix up front toback right?

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Stingray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Rear springs do not look properly seated as stated above. Are your rear lower control arms properly adjusted? Not trying to be an a** but did you accidentally install front lower control arms on rear?

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would remove all the parts find someone that can help verify you have the correct JL parts like stated above, I wouldn't drive it like that the springs look upside down.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for replying. The only video I could find for this lift on a JL was a 2.5" lift. Which I watched over and over and over. Actually had it on my laptop and the paper instruction for my lift next to it constantly comparing as I installed. Originally, I was sent the wrong rear coils and had to wait over a week while the jeep sat on Jack's waiting to receive the correct coils..
Dude you need to start over with your control arms. I have the same lift, here’s some rear measurements: set your uppers to 17-3/4” center to center of connecting bolts, and the lowers to 20-1/4”. Try that and see how it does. Unless the diesel has different connecting points, then disregard this message..lol.

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Calling @Roky that a cleanup is needed in this thread.....

EDIT: Service is good, he was cleaning it up before even called ;)

You should be on the RK payroll....

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
WOOOOOAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

That rear pinion angle is crazy, something is way off on measurements. You are measuring center of hole to center of hole in a straight line, correct? The recommendations in the book are just starting points, fine tuning has to happen and yours needs some fine tuning for sure.

Jeremy is correct on the rear track bar, you have RK06692 which was superseded by RK06692B when the diesels came out. RK06692 DOES NOT FIT DIESELS.

Double check the rear spring correction pads as there are 2 holes on the axle that they could be put into. The thickest part should be towards the rear.

I would expect ride quality to be absolutely terrible with the springs going anywhere but straight.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Yikes........
Sponsored