Lift, Wheel and Tire Questions

csteffen24

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
We have a 2019, 4 door Sport S with the 2.0. It is not a daily driver and we bought it with the intention of mostly mild trail driving along with weekend adventure trips. We also intend to get a small camping trailer to tow behind it at some point. I am aware of the limitations of the front axle, gear ratios etc. and depending on where this adventure goes I will change/upgrade if necessary. We are going to put wheels and tires on it and this decision has lead me into the depths of the internet and this forum. I am basically trying to decide between two options with which are on a 17" wheel with Toyo Mts:

Option 1: I am considering running a 2" lift (I think the shop said Tuff Country) with 295/70/17. I feel like this is a fairly safe route that accommodates a little more clearance but should still do ok traveling on roads. My question is is this a good combo? Its a 33.5" tire. I am trying to avoid the small tire huge fender gap. Will a 35 work on this lift?

Option 2: 35s with a 3" Fabtech lift. I am a little hesitant to go down this road with the 3.45 gear. It looks great, just not sure if it is totally practical for what we are planning on doing. I am willing to go this route tho if 33s are splitting hairs and I will end up here anyway. Not sure about the 3" lift, might be a little much for me (2.5" is not available through the vendor I want to use).

We do quite a bit of moderate to difficult stuff in our RZR. I don't see us doing that kind of stuff in the jeep. I appreciate any advice. New to the JL world. Ive looked at numerous pictures and threads on here. I realize I am probably opening a can of worms, but hopefully my explanation gives us a starting point. Thanks.

Annnnd I just found the wheels and tires thread.... sorry about that, move if necessary.
Sponsored

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hi Chris, I run 295/70/17s on my 2dr, w/ a Rubicon suspension swap, perfect lift for that tire size, could run a bit taller but w/ the high gearing on the sport the tallest I may run in the future would be a 285/75/17.

You can find Rubicon suspension swaps for $150 or less on the site, might get lucky and find one nearby. Swap is easy and combined w/ the slightly longer Mopar LCAs you can even have a bit better steering that you currently have :)
Here's a thread on mine w/ before & after pics and the install of all the parts, the install would be the same w/ the 4dr.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

OP
OP

csteffen24

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
Thanks for the info. Is the Rubicon swap about the same as a 2" lift?

What I was ultimately getting at is are these good proportions 2"/33.5" or 3"/35s? each on 17s

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks for the info. Is the Rubicon swap about the same as a 2" lift?

What I was ultimately getting at is are these good proportions 2"/33.5" or 3"/35s? each on 17s
If you don't plan to go taller then the 33.5 the Rubicon swap works well, 35s you could run 1" spacers w/ the Rubi swap, or a new 2.5" lift. The Rubi setup gains from 1.5 to 2" based on the springs you get.
The Rubicons w/ 4dr and more heavy options like hardtop, steel bumpers, and tow pkg get you taller springs.

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
You really don't need 3" to run a 35" - Also, I get your apprehension about running a 35 with the 3.45 - but the updated 8speed transmission paired withe this does really well. I have historically always run a 3.73... so like you was nervous to run 35's on my Sahara... It does fine (I do also have the V6 and an upgraded D44)..

If it were me, I would run the 35 on a 2". I also stick with a CPly tire to go easy on my 48 yr old back~ Good luck!

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
2" MOPAR on 315 / 70 / 17 KO2 C-Ply - basically a soft riding 35" (though likely on the smaller side)

grill.jpg

IMG_3786 2.jpg
Sponsored