Sponsored

Lift / suspension suggestions? Mopar vs AEV vs.. ?

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
I just spent the night putting the AEV lift on my diesel Rubicon and I can confirm that you have to cut that bolt shorter to get it out. Fortunately I saved the bolts from the plastic bumper take-off and there was one in there to use as a replacement. The instructions say you might have to lower the exhaust to get it out, but I just couldn't see a way to get my hand in there to release the exhaust to get to to drop down. It literally was just hitting the top of the heat shield but it was enough to make it jam up.

Everything on the passenger side of the Jeep was a pain in the ass.

I ended up choosing the AEV lift mostly because I have a 200# winch and bumper on the front and the stock suspension was sagging almost 2". AEV is designed for both the diesel and the heavy steel bumpers. That wasn't just marketing, my Jeep now sits level and I regained the upward travel I lost with the bumper swap. I still have a mess of bolts to torque before I can take it for a test drive, let's hope it's as good as people say.
How did you reinstall the bolt, did you go in from the hole on the outside of the frame?
I’m still up in the air between AEV, mopar, and teraflex.
Im still waiting on my Jeep to be built but it has the steel bumper group and I plan on running a winch. Also plan on having a rhino rack and a 37” spare tire on the back so the aev springs are probably better in my case. What to you think about the AEV drop brackets, are they built well and do you think they can take a hit?
Also let us know how the ride is when you get everything together, I’m interested in how the shocks perform.
Sponsored

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
How did you reinstall the bolt, did you go in from the hole on the outside of the frame?
I’m still up in the air between AEV, mopar, and teraflex.
Im still waiting on my Jeep to be built but it has the steel bumper group and I plan on running a winch. Also plan on having a rhino rack and a 37” spare tire on the back so the aev springs are probably better in my case. What to you think about the AEV drop brackets, are they built well and do you think they can take a hit?
Also let us know how the ride is when you get everything together, I’m interested in how the shocks perform.
Yep, I put the bolt in through the hole in the frame and reused the flag-nut on the engine side. The drop brackets are pretty serious. They are heavier than you would expect stamped steel to be, quite thick and lots of braces welded inside. You wouldn't want to drop it on your face while under the Jeep. I'd consider them to be able to take a rock pretty well. No different than the rear shock mounts, which are rock magnets for me. I doubt you could bend them without destroying the entire frame. You might eventually wear them down if you scrub them enough. For $300 replacement cost I'd consider them sacrificial and just replace them (or buy adjustable arms) once they get too worn down.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I just spent the night putting the AEV lift on my diesel Rubicon and I can confirm that you have to cut that bolt shorter to get it out. Fortunately I saved the bolts from the plastic bumper take-off and there was one in there to use as a replacement. The instructions say you might have to lower the exhaust to get it out, but I just couldn't see a way to get my hand in there to release the exhaust to get to to drop down. It literally was just hitting the top of the heat shield but it was enough to make it jam up.

Everything on the passenger side of the Jeep was a pain in the ass.

I ended up choosing the AEV lift mostly because I have a 200# winch and bumper on the front and the stock suspension was sagging almost 2". AEV is designed for both the diesel and the heavy steel bumpers. That wasn't just marketing, my Jeep now sits level and I regained the upward travel I lost with the bumper swap. I still have a mess of bolts to torque before I can take it for a test drive, let's hope it's as good as people say.
I know this is a big ask but would you be able to take a picture of this problem bolt? Even bigger ask - do you know what size bolt can serve as a replacement? I won’t have a plastic bumper to take off.

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I know this is a big ask but would you be able to take a picture of this problem bolt? Even bigger ask - do you know what size bolt can serve as a replacement? I won’t have a plastic bumper to take off.
It's an M12 x 1.50 x 88.5 Class 10.9 bolt. Part 6512084AA. I don't know if this is unique to diesels thanks to the exhaust location, or if all Jeeps have this problem. It's pretty clear the bolt went in before the engine, lol.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift / suspension suggestions? Mopar vs AEV vs.. ? E487498E-AC4E-416D-AE44-5626DB44A15D_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift / suspension suggestions? Mopar vs AEV vs.. ? 3D0B10F2-5A41-4B9F-8826-C1DD3C2EB188_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift / suspension suggestions? Mopar vs AEV vs.. ? A53F8C76-15C1-4333-9214-D55747B5CE5A_1_105_c

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
@SalC YOU are the man! Thank you very much! I hate having to make parts runs to finish an install, or worse, wait until the next day when things open. ; )

Sponsored

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
AEV Update: Finally got the Jeep put back together and took it for a test drive. Here are my observations (and my wife's, who drives a Sahara).
  • The ride is back to level, after losing a couple inches of hight from bumper/winch swap. Measuring from the ground to the bottom front of the fenders (just below the DRLs)
    • Stock Rubicon - 34"
    • My Jeep before - 32"
    • My Jeep with AEV lift - 36"
  • Short ride observation of side roads and a quick 75mph run down the highway is that the ride quality is at least equal to stock, with a feeling of more substantial spring rate. Not harsh at all, but no longer squishy and swimming.
  • The correction brackets are the star of the show, here. The steering is more stable, and easier to manage. It also corrected the slight pull to the right, without the aide of an alignment. The wife said that it drives more like her Sahara, where it used to have a heavy feel to the steering.
  • 190 lb-ft is an insane amount of torque when the Jeep is only on stands. LCAs be damned!
So far I'm very happy with the results, definitely worth the price and fairly easy to install at home with a handful of tools. Took about 7 hours total, which could have been a lot shorter if I spend $50 on an impact wrench. Trail tests this weekend!

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
AEV comes with a bracket. That, and the Mopar LCA and I was dead nuts on castor.
I’m seriously considering going that route as well. I already have the mopar lift lca installed and the one thing I don’t like about the AEV kit is the control arm relocation brackets. I have a lot of added steel weight, ( front, back, sides, and belly). I really like the enduro sport package but I think it would not respond well to the additional weight by reputation.
Am I correct in my understanding of what you did?

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just purchased my first Jeep and I am having a great time so far! I have been on a few trails and decided it was time to lift her.

I have been looking around and found some local shops that gave me some good information but wanted to see what the communities opinion was. As I'm sure a lot of you guys have a lot more experience in this then I do.

Something that should be noted is this is my daily driver for about an hour commute. So performance on road is just as important to me.

So far I have looked at the Mopar 2" lift and the AEV 2.5" DualSport RT Suspension System.

I have heard that AEV is a more complete kit and drives excellent on pavement. On the other hand the Mopar needs some things but stays in warranty.

I am open to other kits. My budget is trying to stay under $2000.
I like this guys reviews....

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I’m seriously considering going that route as well. I already have the mopar lift lca installed and the one thing I don’t like about the AEV kit is the control arm relocation brackets. I have a lot of added steel weight, ( front, back, sides, and belly). I really like the enduro sport package but I think it would not respond well to the additional weight by reputation.
Am I correct in my understanding of what you did?
I'm not sure I get it. Those brackets hardly added weight IMO. Beadlocks, 37s, winch and real steel bumpers...list goes on of things that drarfed that weight. A few pounds for a solid drive, I'll take it.

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm not sure I get it. Those brackets hardly added weight IMO. Beadlocks, 37s, winch and real steel bumpers...list goes on of things that drarfed that weight. A few pounds for a solid drive, I'll take it.
Nah, I’m sure they are insignificant weight compared to the other fat. I am being obstinate about the installation of the brackets. The driver side frame lca area is getting very crowded with the full LOD destroyer set and the EVO exhaust loop skid. I only have the longer mopar lca now so that was what I was planning to use.
I think I understand what you did now. You used both the brackets and the mopar lift lca. Is that correct?

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Nah, I’m sure they are insignificant weight compared to the other fat. I am being obstinate about the installation of the brackets. The driver side frame lca area is getting very crowded with the full LOD destroyer set and the EVO exhaust loop skid. I only have the longer mopar lca now so that was what I was planning to use.
I think I understand what you did now. You used both the brackets and the mopar lift lca. Is that correct?
Yes, both used. It drives great.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR