Sponsored

Lift Recommendations? 37s -44 Offset Wheels

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum so bare with me if something similar has been posted already. I'm a new owner of a JLU Sport Granite & I cant wait to start getting the mods going. I need options and help choosing a few things that I've already started shopping for but I want to make sure everything fits. I'm also open to opinions on the "look". I'm not sure what lift kit to get so I def need help with that. I'm not a off roader, mostly mall crawling but I want to know my lift is still capable if i want to hit some trails!

This is sort of the look i'm going for:

https://www.butlertire.com/gallery/Jeep/Wrangler/Jeep_Wrangler_with_22in_Dropstar_654_Wheels/10873

20'' Offset -44 Dropstar Wheels
https://www.tirebuyer.com/wheels/654BM Deep Concave/p/WV292000593

37" Nitto Trail Grappler
https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/Trail Grappler M/T/p/TV154000339#specs

Lifts I'm considering (Not limited to) These were recommended to me but they are pricey :( If this is overkill then by all means let me know. It's hard to find lifts for JL because mine isn't a Rubi so I need an extra inch.

3 in lift
https://fabtechmotorsports.com/product/3-trail-system-w-stealth-shocks-k4117m/

3.5 in lift
https://www.metalcloak.com/JL-Wrangler-Suspension-Lift-Kit-3-5-RockSport-p/7631.htm

What tire carrier options are there?

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
I’ll tell you what I know, take it for what it’s worth. I listened to my wife and had 20’s with 35” tires put on my JKU. I didn’t regear and within a year my transmission went out. After putting a new tranny through Jeep I regeared to 4.10 which I find still not adequate. I imagine with your set up you will need to regear, but that’s my opinion. I think the look you’re going for is very aggressive and more for street use, it’s going to look good though.

I imagine a good 3.5” lift is what you’ll need to clear, maybe a 3” if you change fenders. Keep us posted on what you decide, I actually like seeing people do what others don’t, that’s why I spent thousands on repairing my rig for my wife’s infatuation with 20’s. Mind you we aren’t young and hip haha

OP
OP
ImTheCameraGuy
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
I’ll tell you what I know, take it for what it’s worth. I listened to my wife and had 20’s with 35” tires put on my JKU. I didn’t regear and within a year my transmission went out. After putting a new tranny through Jeep I regeared to 4.10 which I find still not adequate. I imagine with your set up you will need to regear, but that’s my opinion. I think the look you’re going for is very aggressive and more for street use, it’s going to look good though.

I imagine a good 3.5” lift is what you’ll need to clear, maybe a 3” if you change fenders. Keep us posted on what you decide, I actually like seeing people do what others don’t, that’s why I spent thousands on repairing my rig for my wife’s infatuation with 20’s. Mind you we aren’t young and hip haha
Yes, I will speak to a tech on the re gear as i'm sure it will be needed. Thanks for the tips!

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Good lord. I think that I just tasted lunch......from yesterday.

Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I’m assuming you think it’s a “sick” setup if you ask me. Lol
If you really want to hit the trails, and I assume you do with trail grapplers (might want to consider ridge grapplers or some other hybrid terrain tire), stick to a 17" wheel and 35" tires on a Sport. You want more tire to wheel so you can air down. 37" tires are asking for trouble on Sport axles/brakes, especially if you're going off-road. A -44 offset is really going to increase your scrub radius adding stress to steering components and making it more difficult to steer off-road. Stick to something in the +0-12 range.

OP
OP
ImTheCameraGuy
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Not really offroading, but if I run into any issues I’ll just deal with it and keep y’all posted.

doug_outlawoffroad

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU (Black)
Ok....so.... I have a Sahara with 3.45 gears and run 37s. I will tell you this, without certain mods, the Jeep will feel 100% different on 37s. I installed an iDrive module, and that helps immensely for the low and power feel, but I have still lost 8th gear completely and most of 7th. A regear will correct this, and I will do it, but I have not had any "mechanical" issues yet and I do wheel my Jeep. Even with 35s on it, I lost 8th and this will effect the life of the transmission as it is always working harder to keep everything going down the road. I will be gearing to 5.13 and installing RCV front axles, for what its worth.

OP
OP
ImTheCameraGuy
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Ok....so.... I have a Sahara with 3.45 gears and run 37s. I will tell you this, without certain mods, the Jeep will feel 100% different on 37s. I installed an iDrive module, and that helps immensely for the low and power feel, but I have still lost 8th gear completely and most of 7th. A regear will correct this, and I will do it, but I have not had any "mechanical" issues yet and I do wheel my Jeep. Even with 35s on it, I lost 8th and this will effect the life of the transmission as it is always working harder to keep everything going down the road. I will be gearing to 5.13 and installing RCV front axles, for what its worth.
Def considering the regear soon! any idea what that would cost?

doug_outlawoffroad

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU (Black)
Def considering the regear soon! any idea what that would cost?
At the moment, Dana is the only company with anything out and that, of course, means more money. Expect to pay $1800-$2000 for that install, at the moment. I have a front set from Revolution here at the shop but the rears are still in testing, so another month or 2 there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ImTheCameraGuy
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
At the moment, Dana is the only company with anything out and that, of course, means more money. Expect to pay $1800-$2000 for that install, at the moment. I have a front set from Revolution here at the shop but the rears are still in testing, so another month or 2 there.
All in all I can drive around but it will just feel slower. I wont be doing any hardcore wheeling so nothing to worry about there if I'm just cruising.

doug_outlawoffroad

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU (Black)
All in all I can drive around but it will just feel slower. I wont be doing any hardcore wheeling so nothing to worry about there if I'm just cruising.
I wouldn't do that for too long. That setup will take a toll on the transmission and driveline, for sure.

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m assuming you think it’s a “sick” setup if you ask me. Lol
I love customized vehicles and I certainly appreciate that you want to make your Jeep your own. I just really hate to see it done in such a way as to reduce the capabilities of the vehicle being customized. Just my opinion. The wheels and tires look cool I guess and I’m happy that you love them. I hope that you never get too close to a curb or they are trashed.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
few things the larger tires and more offset add more stress to your ball joints and knuckles and 37s might be too much for street use, but all this shit is still so new that you can guess but really no know fully knows

for a lift i would say stick with a budget boots will keep the stock springs and shocks you are not going to push the suspension and most kits historically make the ride worse or dont have a long life

i think the most bb i have seen is 2.5" so that extra lift try and find take off rubi fenders or get the mopar kit or look for a tube fender kit (will look more ba) to get that extra clearance
Sponsored