First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
I have a 2018 Rubicon and I've been content without a lift but recently I've been thinking about upgrading to 35" tires and would like to do a minimal lift to accommodate that to avoid any rubbing issues.
What would be the best way to accomplish that?

Thanks
Sponsored

Beams37

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
If you're only worried about clearing them for the street or for the look, spacers are the cheapest and easiest way to do it. Most spacers also allow you to keep factory steering geometry.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I changed to 35s on my 2018 JLUR and was able to run 99% of the trails without any rubbing. I wanted a bit more body clearance so I went with a RC spacer lift. Got to say I'm happy with the results.

OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah mostly however I also want the look to be ok. Would a 2" leveling kit do anything to help with that!

OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I changed to 35s on my 2018 JLUR and was able to run 99% of the trails without any rubbing. I wanted a bit more body clearance so I went with a RC spacer lift. Got to say I'm happy with the results.
Did it hurt your highway gas mileage much?

Sponsored

Fredtp

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Stingray
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2018 Rubicon and I've been content without a lift but recently I've been thinking about upgrading to 35" tires and would like to do a minimal lift to accommodate that to avoid any rubbing issues.
What would be the best way to accomplish that?

Thanks
I used a Traxda 1 inch lift, worked perfect, lifted front 1 1/2 inches and back 1 inch.
Easy install good quality. I am putting on a Synergy lift soon so I will be selling the Traxda setup.

Jeep2.jpg

slipstream

First Name
Filip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2019 Ford Expedition, 2020 Tesla X
I put on 35" (K02) on the stock wheels on my JLUR and drove for a while with zero rubbing. So I would say if all you want is 35" just go for it. Lift (either through spacers or full kit) would only be needed if you want to gain additional ground clearance or improve suspension performance overall.

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
I have a 2021 Rubicon that is bone stock, aside of 35’s (315/70/17). Stock Rubicon wheels, no spacers.

I off road this jeep. I spent the day yesterday climbing all sorts of obstacles and had it at full flex both front and rear multiple times. ZERO rubbing. With 35’s and stock, it has been to Soldier Pass Trail, Broken Arrow Trail, Forest Road 361 from Highway 260 to Cherry Creek Road, multiple parts of 9513, and on all of these trails, no rubbing. I also do not baby this Jeep. I really do ride it hard.

It did rub one time however the stock tires would have probably rubbed as well. I was coming onto a deep rutted trail from a 45° angle, and about 4’ above the trail. I was going about 12 mph. Basically, I bombed the jeep, off camber, onto a very shitty trail. This caused the slightest rub. I am certain the bump stops were smashed pretty hard when this happened.

Before putting these tires on, I researched this for days. I have come to the conclusion that some rub, and some don’t.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
No idea what highway gas milage went to. I didn't correct the speedo or odo for the new tires so I register slower that actual and fewer miles. By the current odo, I'm still getting 15+ mpg overall. A part of each tank is in the desert, much of it in low range.

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
I just recently did the same thing. I have a 2018 JLUR and recently had to change tires after 42k miles on the original KO2s. I went with 35x11.50R17 Toyo AT3s. They are slightly narrower than the 315s or 35x12.50, so they don't stick out much past the fender flares, they don't rub anywhere and fit nicely on the stock Rubicon wheels. I installed Traxda suspension spacers 1.5" front and 1" rear and it looks great. I also added a Motobilt Hammer front bumper and skid plate which added about 50lbs over the stock plastic bumper. The Jeep sits almost level - about 1/4" lower in the front than the rear when measuring from the bottom of the rock rails front and rear. Without the bumper, it probably would have been even.

If adding just 1-1.5", there's no need to do anything else. I didn't even bother centering my steering wheel - it's barely noticeable. I plan to upgrade track bars, drag link and tie rod eventually, but not because of the lift. I just want to beef up the stock steering components.

I no longer do any hard core wheeling, so I limit my off road to loose gravel fire roads and mild trails with occasional shallow water crossings. The stock Rubicon springs and shocks are perfect for that. The spacers just give me back the wheel well space I lost with the increase in tire size.

I don't pay attention to gas mileage. I don't think I've calculated mileage or looked at the mileage gauge in any vehicle in over 20 years. I know my Raptor gets worse mileage than my JLUR, but my '85 CJ-7 is probably the worst of them all. If I were to guess, my JLUR gets maybe 15-16 MPG?

Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So looking at this package as a possibility. Would this give enough lift for some additional ground clearance?
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift Question Screenshot_20210307-093841-740

OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just recently did the same thing. I have a 2018 JLUR and recently had to change tires after 42k miles on the original KO2s. I went with 35x11.50R17 Toyo AT3s. They are slightly narrower than the 315s or 35x12.50, so they don't stick out much past the fender flares, they don't rub anywhere and fit nicely on the stock Rubicon wheels. I installed Traxda suspension spacers 1.5" front and 1" rear and it looks great. I also added a Motobilt Hammer front bumper and skid plate which added about 50lbs over the stock plastic bumper. The Jeep sits almost level - about 1/4" lower in the front than the rear when measuring from the bottom of the rock rails front and rear. Without the bumper, it probably would have been even.

If adding just 1-1.5", there's no need to do anything else. I didn't even bother centering my steering wheel - it's barely noticeable. I plan to upgrade track bars, drag link and tie rod eventually, but not because of the lift. I just want to beef up the stock steering components.

I no longer do any hard core wheeling, so I limit my off road to loose gravel fire roads and mild trails with occasional shallow water crossings. The stock Rubicon springs and shocks are perfect for that. The spacers just give me back the wheel well space I lost with the increase in tire size.

I don't pay attention to gas mileage. I don't think I've calculated mileage or looked at the mileage gauge in any vehicle in over 20 years. I know my Raptor gets worse mileage than my JLUR, but my '85 CJ-7 is probably the worst of them all. If I were to guess, my JLUR gets maybe 15-16 MPG?

Good luck.
Yeah I don't plan on major off-roading but trails but I like having the capability in case the desire or need arises.

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
I would stay away from body lifts. You want a suspension lift, not a body lift.

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
The reason I went with Traxda is because they were able to customize their lift height for the JLUR. Most leveling kits or small spacer lifts gave you 2" in the front and 1" or 1.5" in the rear. I thought that was too much, so Traxda made a 1.5" front and 1" rear specifically for the JLUR. Traxda is also all US-made steel materials and powder-coated for durability. Great quality and service from a US manufacturer. I think there may be other manufacturers that offer a 1.5/1.0 spacer lift, but I stopped looking once I got to Traxda.