Sponsored

Lift kits: What is everyone running? How do you like it? (2.5"-3.5")

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
If their is a similar thread, I didn't see it. Just wanted to see what all is out there before I buy! I'm very indecisive. Post pictures!
2020 JLUR with 2.5 AEV Dual Sport lift and 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 20" Fuel rims Very happy with the AEV lift and tires.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kits: What is everyone running? How do you like it? (2.5"-3.5") 1623065178657

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kits: What is everyone running? How do you like it? (2.5"-3.5") 1623064700233
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kits: What is everyone running? How do you like it? (2.5"-3.5") 1623064765410
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nice pics. For all it's supposed greatness, you will never see a new Bronco Flex out, not in the same world as this. Why Jeep? Just flash this pic and 'nuff said.
Thanks brother, and I totally agree..... nice try ford, here’s a participation trophy......🤣

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Dynatrac 2" lift supplemented with Yeti steering linkages and front track bar with relocated Fox ts stabilizer, Yeti front sway bar links, Synergy rear track bar, and all 8 Synergy control arms.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kits: What is everyone running? How do you like it? (2.5"-3.5") 1623064765410
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kits: What is everyone running? How do you like it? (2.5"-3.5") 20210607_102230

Inspired by Roky, here's my update from post #20. 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger with 6-packs. The only 2 synergy parts that will stay, are the brackets on both ends of the rear track bar. Everything else, suspension wise, has mostly been swapped to "the gold standard".

I'm not done. A busy work season is causing parts to pile up. Once we're past the height of summers heat, I will continue. There's still some parts from my 1st setup that need to be switched over. I've been sitting on Metalcloak bars to replace the SteerSmarts front track bar and the Synergy rear track bar. The rest of the pile is functional upgrades:
-RPM Performance 2.5 ton 2" solid aluminum tie rod and drag link, to replace the SteerSmarts linkages
-Reid Racing cast iron knuckles
-Dynatrac HD ball joints
-RCV 2-piece front axle shafts and outer seals
-RCV rear shafts
-Adams 1350 rear driveshaft
-RockJock Antirock front and rear sway kits

Things I'm currently contemplating:
-Not going with a 2nd set of 38" Pat's, and not wanting to go smaller, the Mickey Thompson Baja boss m/t's are grabbing my attention. But I'd have to make the jump to their c-rated 40x13.50's.
-4.5" springs to fully exploit the 6-packs total travel.

As always, open to anyone's thoughts.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
20210607_102230.jpg

Inspired by Roky, here's my update from post #20. 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger with 6-packs. The only 2 synergy parts that will stay, are the brackets on both ends of the rear track bar. Everything else, suspension wise, has mostly been swapped to "the gold standard".

I'm not done. A busy work season is causing parts to pile up. Once we're past the height of summers heat, I will continue. There's still some parts from my 1st setup that need to be switched over. I've been sitting on Metalcloak bars to replace the SteerSmarts front track bar and the Synergy rear track bar. The rest of the pile is functional upgrades:
-RPM Performance 2.5 ton 2" solid aluminum tie rod and drag link, to replace the SteerSmarts linkages
-Dynatrac HD ball joints
-RCV rear shafts

-Not going with a 2nd set of 38" Pat's, and not wanting to go smaller, the Mickey Thompson Baja boss m/t's are grabbing my attention. But I'd have to make the jump to their c-rated 40x13.50's.

My thoughts are you better start installing before parts start to rust sitting there :LOL:. Your setup looks great the way it is. Not sure you need to go 40s but you know everyone on here will support the change and start pushing you to the next mod with 8 lugs ;)

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My thoughts are you better start installing before parts start to rust sitting there :LOL:. Your setup looks great the way it is. Not sure you need to go 40s but you know everyone on here will support the change and start pushing you to the next mod with 8 lugs ;)
Hahaha! I got some puzzled looks, when I hooked up a new dehumidifier in the garage about a month ago.

And yeah, I look at it as an investment. Someone in the marketplace will score a great deal on a set of beefed up and well maintained 44's, which probably won't sit long enough for the ad to hit page 2. Lol

And I can't blame others. I'm just as big of an enabler. :like:

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hahaha! I got some puzzled looks, when I hooked up a new dehumidifier in the garage about a month ago.

And yeah, I look at it as an investment. Someone in the marketplace will score a great deal on a set of beefed up and well maintained 44's, which probably won't sit long enough for the ad to hit page 2. Lol

And I can't blame others. I'm just as big of an enabler. :like:
Lol. Dehumidifier - thats funny.

You are correct, never see page two. Matter of fact, they will prob be sold before you take them out haha.

Enablers abound

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Our JLUR was delivered a few months ago and I’ve had several suspension lifts and parts on since then. I’ll go through what we had so far.

First was a Mopar 2” lift which gave about 3” actually. I had MT Baja Boss 37s and Black Rhino 17x9.5” with -18mm backspace.
That lift was pretty good on its own but felt too soft and swayed too much when turning.

I then went with the 2” lift from Dynatrac. This was the most comfortable lift I think I’ve ever had. But I wanted bigger tires on the JL and this lift was very much maxed out with 37s.

Then I started adding and changing out components to improve things or to see what difference they would make.

I added and/or changed to the following which is what I currently have.

- BFG KM3 39s
- Dirty Life DT-1 17x9” with -38mm and 3.5 backspace
- Synergy front 4” dual rate springs
- Synergy rear 3” dual rate springs
- Falcon SP2 3.3 adjustable shocks
- Rancho adjustable front UCAs (this made the most and best difference to my steering so far because my caster was up to 9 degrees, drives fantastic.)
- Steer Smarts adjustable front track bar
- Rancho adjustable rear track bar
- Rear Rancho track bar relocation bracket
- Metalcloak front sway bar end links
- Teraflex Alpine front adjustable LCAs

I think that might be it for suspension type of components.

I also have in my garage waiting to install
- Rusty’s aluminum steering kit
- Steer Smarts sector shaft brace

Each one of these components was either an improvement or made no noticeable difference over the Mopar lift system. I am very happy with what I have so far.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Our JLUR was delivered a few months ago and I’ve had several suspension lifts and parts on since then. I’ll go through what we had so far.

First was a Mopar 2” lift which gave about 3” actually. I had MT Baja Boss 37s and Black Rhino 17x9.5” with -18mm backspace.
That lift was pretty good on its own but felt too soft and swayed too much when turning.

I then went with the 2” lift from Dynatrac. This was the most comfortable lift I think I’ve ever had. But I wanted bigger tires on the JL and this lift was very much maxed out with 37s.

Then I started adding and changing out components to improve things or to see what difference they would make.

I added and/or changed to the following which is what I currently have.

- BFG KM3 39s
- Dirty Life DT-1 17x9” with -38mm and 3.5 backspace
- Synergy front 4” dual rate springs
- Synergy rear 3” dual rate springs
- Falcon SP2 3.3 adjustable shocks
- Rancho adjustable front UCAs (this made the most and best difference to my steering so far because my caster was up to 9 degrees, drives fantastic.)
- Steer Smarts adjustable front track bar
- Rancho adjustable rear track bar
- Rear Rancho track bar relocation bracket
- Metalcloak front sway bar end links
- Teraflex Alpine front adjustable LCAs

I think that might be it for suspension type of components.

I also have in my garage waiting to install
- Rusty’s aluminum steering kit
- Steer Smarts sector shaft brace

Each one of these components was either an improvement or made no noticeable difference over the Mopar lift system. I am very happy with what I have so far.
Pic?

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Have you upgraded any of the critical braking system components? Not just the brakes and pads? Extended the lines? 40’s are going to look great but you’ll need as much functional stopping power as you can get.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you upgraded any of the critical braking system components? Not just the brakes and pads? Extended the lines? 40’s are going to look great but you’ll need as much functional stopping power as you can get.
Only the PowerStop z36 heavy duty towing pads and rotors have been replaced. They added just enough extra bite to offset the larger tires. But still, it is what it is, so I drive accordingly. I maintain an ample following distance, and take advantage of sitting higher than most to read traffic out ahead.

The front and rear juice lines were long enough, after deleting all of their routing anchor clips. The fronts also got a frame side drop bracket and some light tweaks to the hard lines.

I'm probably going to hold off on a major brake system upgrade, until building up a set of 60's. I'm already putting more than I should into these 44's.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
20210607_102230.jpg

-Dynatrac HD ball joints
-RCV rear shafts

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the RPM steering. I'm seriously thinking of ditching my Synergy tie rod and drag link for the RPM stuff. Nothing really wrong with the Synergy, but the RPM parts look to be better for not much more money. Plus, I'll just put the Synergy stuff on my as yet unmodified 2019.

So get off your duff and get to work! Inquiring minds want to know.....

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I'm probably going to hold off on a major brake system upgrade, until building up a set of 60's. I'm already putting more than I should into these 44's.
That makes sense. I haven’t really looked but if a larger brake master cylinder and booster are available, if I were running oversize tires, I’d upgrade.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the RPM steering. I'm seriously thinking of ditching my Synergy tie rod and drag link for the RPM stuff. Nothing really wrong with the Synergy, but the RPM parts look to be better for not much more money. Plus, I'll just put the Synergy stuff on my as yet unmodified 2019.

So get off your duff and get to work! Inquiring minds want to know.....
I've had the SteerSmarts tie rod and drag link for nearly 40k miles now. They've held up great, but I like the idea of having versions that are a bit of overkill for the vehicle. Also, their touted "memory" is a plus seeing as how the tie rod is the lowest hanging fruit on the front end. Yet another reason, is that I'll be knocking the steering linkages off to do the rest of a front axle overall, so what the hell.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That makes sense. I haven’t really looked but if a larger brake master cylinder and booster are available, if I were running oversize tires, I’d upgrade.
Typically, the upgraded brake packages stick to the wheel ends. Larger diameter and thicker rotors with slots and cross drillings, which add both leverage and increased heat dispersion. And calipers made out of better materials, with larger pistons and more of them. The larger calipers will increase the amount of juice in the system, but as long as they are specifically designed for the application, there's no need to replace the master cylinder and booster. A universal caliper would be hit or miss, but one designed for the JL should be seamless fit to the length and volume per stroke of the factory master cylinder.

Teraflex has a kit that is about $2k, but I'd personally rather go with one of the brands (name escapes me) that are long established in the performance brake arena. Those go for $4-5k, which covers a loaded set of calipers and rotors front and rear. That's why I'd rather wait and put that into a set of 60's with 8 lugs.
Sponsored