Lift Kits vs Leveling Kits

acoz8

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Is it possible to level my jeep with a lift kit or do I just need a leveling kit on its own. If I choose to go with just a leveling kit what kind of downgrade in performance will I see?
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible to level my jeep with a lift kit or do I just need a leveling kit on its own. If I choose to go with just a leveling kit what kind of downgrade in performance will I see?
The answers are Maybe, Maybe, and Depends. :LOL:

How do you use your JLU? Street only, combination street with moderate trails and/or extreme rock crawling?

What are you trying to accomplish with a leveling kit and/or lift? Get rid of the front rake? Level it after adding a heavy front bumper/winch?

Are you getting larger tires and concerned about rubbing while offroad?

There are several questions and things you need to decide and communicate before someone else can provide helpful information.

OP
OP

acoz8

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
The answers are Maybe, Maybe, and Depends. :LOL:

How do you use your JLU? Street only, combination street with moderate trails and/or extreme rock crawling?

What are you trying to accomplish with a leveling kit and/or lift? Get rid of the front rake? Level it after adding a heavy front bumper/winch?

Are you getting larger tires and concerned about rubbing while offroad?

There are several questions and things you need to decide and communicate before someone else can provide helpful information.

Thanks for the insight! I use my Jeep for road driving and moderate trails, not extreme rock crawling. I'm not concerned about rubbing because I already run 33 inch tires. And I want to get rid of front rake and get my sport up to a rubicon height. I'll be getting a bumper/winch as well.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the insight! I use my Jeep for road driving and moderate trails, not extreme rock crawling. I'm not concerned about rubbing because I already run 33 inch tires. And I want to get rid of front rake and get my sport up to a rubicon height. I'll be getting a bumper/winch as well.
Glad to help!

With what you shared, a Rubicon takeoff suspension could be a good option for you. Many of us with Sports / Saharas have installed them and gained 1" to 2" on the JLU. Depending on the specs of the Rubicon suspension (there are a few different options), leveling spacers are also utilized to tune/level the desired end result.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have to agree with Htfan above. Rubicon takeoffs will provide a just noticeable amount of lift, without going high enough to make you start thinking of 35's. It's also a very cost efficient approach. If you decide on this route, look specifically for a set taken off a Rubicon that came from the factory with steel bumpers, hardtop, and tow package. That will fetch the upper end of that small bump in height and will get the spring rate that will work nicely when you add that bumper/winch weight.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
As noted the Rubi take-off will be your most economical option. You'll get a slight lift, although IIRC you'll still have a little rake. Maybe not as much as a Sport or Sahara, but I don't think it will be completely level. Anyone who's done it able to clarify?

Regarding aftermarket kits.
Some aftermarket lifts will level, while others raise the front/rear evenly so you keep the stock rake (which is what I opted for). You can also order leveling kits that will leave the rear along, and bring the front up a bit to level it.

For your described use, I don't think there's really any negative effect you need to worry about with any of the options. For those of us who don't venture beyond moderate trails, we don't have to worry too much.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Some do use a small spacer in the front with a Rubicon take-off suspension. Especially if they add a steel bumper and winch. I would recommend trying the suspension first and if there is too much rake just add a spacer.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I'm part of the group that installed the Rubicon suspension and then decided to add front leveling spacers shortly after.

I should mention that I also added the Mopar lift front LCA's at the same time. This provides some additional much needed castor. I'm very satisfied with the lift height (1.5") and ride stability.

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
I'm part of the group that installed the Rubicon suspension and then decided to add front leveling spacers shortly after.

I should mention that I also added the Mopar lift front LCA's at the same time. This provides some additional much needed castor. I'm very satisfied with the lift height (1.5") and ride stability.
What size tires are you running with this setup?

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
What size tires are you running with this setup?
Currently running 32" K02s. It's my daily driver so I was concerned about impacting mileage and performance with larger tires.

Sponsored

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
Currently running 32" K02s. It's my daily driver so I was concerned about impacting mileage and performance with larger tires.
Thanks. I have the same concerns with mine. It’s great in its current stock form but I’d like a more aggressive look. But not ready to sacrifice its daily drivability. You pretty happy with your setup?

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I have the same concerns with mine. It’s great in its current stock form but I’d like a more aggressive look. But not ready to sacrifice its daily drivability. You pretty happy with your setup?
Yes! Very happy with this setup. No noticeable impact on gas mileage or responsiveness. The 32" K02s are only slightly taller and wider than stock.
Sponsored