First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
I sold my factory wheels and tires over the weekend and had to install my new set of 35's
315/70R-17 Toyo Open Country AT3's on Fuel Vectors, before lift is installed
After looking at the results I kind of like it as it is. There is no rubbing at all so it rides nice.
I have a 3 inch lift kit all ready to be installed, Springs, shocks, control arms , track bars, complete. Just waiting for some good weather. But the current set up is growing on me. need some opinions on whether I should do install it or not. Let me know what you think, Thanks

IMG_1595 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1596 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1597 - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_1600 - Copy.jpg
Teraflex leveling kit. Gives it just enough.

Reactions: RJ7

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Opinions on the AT3? I worry about them being aggressive enough for light mud but I like their weight and 3 peak rated along with a 35x11.5 option.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Personally, I'd take a little rubbing over messing with the suspension any day. Plus that thing just looks mean and bad ass. Leave it be.
I guess coming from a yj the stock Rubicon 7.3" of front shock travel is good and "not worth messing with"? At the very least every JL would benefit from better/longer shocks. I don't know where the idea that the stock suspension is great, let alone that it can't be easily improved for very little cost came from but it's just not true in my experience. No you don't need 3" of lift to run 35's, but shocks and improved caster via front lcas will make every Rubicon better even at stock height. Add in the bump stops so there's no rubbing and it's now better on and off road.

Sponsored

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
I guess coming from a yj the stock Rubicon 7.3" of front shock travel is good and "not worth messing with"? At the very least every JL would benefit from better/longer shocks. I don't know where the idea that the stock suspension is great, let alone that it can't be easily improved for very little cost came from but it's just not true in my experience. No you don't need 3" of lift to run 35's, but shocks and improved caster via front lcas will make every Rubicon better even at stock height. Add in the bump stops so there's no rubbing and it's now better on and off road.
I've yet to experience any lift or suspension modification on any vehicle that doesn't cause problems at some point. My stock JL suspension is just fine. It's taken me everywhere I wanted and then some, a thousand miles from home and back, without some cobbled up combination of parts.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I've yet to experience any lift or suspension modification on any vehicle that doesn't cause problems at some point. My stock JL suspension is just fine. It's taken me everywhere I wanted and then some, a thousand miles from home and back, without some cobbled up combination of parts.
I guess if you don't know better you don't know better? Better shocks and appropriate caster will be better period. Does that mean stock is bad, or so bad it has to be done? No, stock is still better than the yj, tj, or jk. I've yet to hear 1 person who put the Mopar lcas for a total cost of $70 not say theirs handles better. Better shocks are better than the factory shocks wether you go budget rancho or bilstein or full 2.5 fox adjustables. Nobody who has done it that I've ever talked to or seen on this forum disagrees. The OP has the parts, even if he doesn't want it taller, using a couple of the parts will make it better.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
3 in lift and 35s will get over 99% of the named trails in the US and if you don't play in the 7s and above trails 2-2.5 is more than enough with a GOOD set of 35s.

IF you remember when 10 in lifts were Popular raise your hand...

BenjaminWheelie

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Willys Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I sold my factory wheels and tires over the weekend and had to install my new set of 35's
315/70R-17 Toyo Open Country AT3's on Fuel Vectors, before lift is installed
After looking at the results I kind of like it as it is. There is no rubbing at all so it rides nice.
I have a 3 inch lift kit all ready to be installed, Springs, shocks, control arms , track bars, complete. Just waiting for some good weather. But the current set up is growing on me. need some opinions on whether I should do install it or not. Let me know what you think, Thanks

IMG_1595 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1596 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1597 - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_1600 - Copy.jpg
I really like how it looks right now but I feel like testing the current set-up on some trails would give you a better feel if the lift kit would be beneficial for you or not.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
I guess if you don't know better you don't know better? Better shocks and appropriate caster will be better period. Does that mean stock is bad, or so bad it has to be done? No, stock is still better than the yj, tj, or jk. I've yet to hear 1 person who put the Mopar lcas for a total cost of $70 not say theirs handles better. Better shocks are better than the factory shocks wether you go budget rancho or bilstein or full 2.5 fox adjustables. Nobody who has done it that I've ever talked to or seen on this forum disagrees. The OP has the parts, even if he doesn't want it taller, using a couple of the parts will make it better.
I guess "don't know better" goes both ways then. I'm not going to have a knowledge competition with you. I do agree that the factory setup is better than all previous generations.
The op seems to be polling the forum based on looks without lift. Therefore it's likely the op isn't a hardcore wheeler like yourself needing every extra mm of travel.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I guess "don't know better" goes both ways then. I'm not going to have a knowledge competition with you. I do agree that the factory setup is better than all previous generations.
The op seems to be polling the forum based on looks without lift. Therefore it's likely the op isn't a hardcore wheeler like yourself needing every extra mm of travel.
Bilstein 5100s for 1-3" lift fit with no lift and factory bump stops. Almost 3" more travel in the front, a massive 35% increase over stock. 4" in the rear, 40% over stock. All for $400 and 0 downside? But if we pretend it's a few mm, I guess you have a point. The lcas are mopar, moving caster from low 4⁰'s to the 6⁰ range for the cost of a tank of gas? You'll have to describe to me anything that's not a positive there? That difference is 100% on road. Anyone and everyone that has done it describes noticeable improvement. Again, your opinion may differ, likely based on full lift kits raising cog, making suspension geometry worse, etc. but these changes do none of that. Aside from a few dollars out of the wallet, it's all gains and no losses in my experience.

SmallCrawler

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I like the idea of lifting it but not 3in. I would think half that would be more proportional. At least that is my plan. I am putting on a 1.5in Clayton Overland lift soon. Just moved up to 315s and while I think it looks okay, I want more flex. This is with no weight in the back.

5A3B7CCF-AA25-4CA7-AE2F-76CDBF690FE2.jpeg
AF976C9D-7DB9-4985-B6A1-6E81254CF7DD.jpeg
dragoneggs makes a good point about weight. Here is my soft top Rubicon with 315s packed with gear, steel bumpers, winch, etc. As you can see, there's not much room left in the wheel wells. Count me in the "lift it" column. Hoping to lift my Jeep this spring.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit or no lift kit That is the question IMG_0339~photo

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
Do you run extended bump stops with limited up travel or do you not flex it out ever? There's no way those tires don't run bad off road if you have stock height bump stops.
I most definitely will rub. I should have mentioned how I use my Jeep; camping and light trails.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I think those are the operative words... getting the right suspension 'kit' from a reputable company for your build/needs... and it properly dialed in, is key.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
I like the idea of lifting it but not 3in. I would think half that would be more proportional. At least that is my plan. I am putting on a 1.5in Clayton Overland lift soon. Just moved up to 315s and while I think it looks okay, I want more flex. This is with no weight in the back.

Are these pics prior, or after your 1.5" Clayton Overland kit??

Good lookin Jeep BTW 😉
Sponsored