Sponsored

Lift kit of JL Ecodeisel

Sledge1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Ecodeisel Overlander With RTT
Hi
My wife and I have a 2021 Rubicon Ecodeisel. We have roof top tent, fridge, solar generator—so some extra weight.
Wanted to get recommendations for a 2.5 inch lift kit. We mainly overland. But that sometimes involves a little rock crawling that is more than the stock Rubicon is comfortable with.
We are leaning toward the MetalCloak game changer. We are also looking at Nitto Trail Grappler in 35 inch.
Any thoughts?
thanks!
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I agree with this recommendation but can’t go wrong with metalcloak. I have it but way more invasive of a job than AEV which only takes a few hours.

I recommend you take a look at the AEV DualSport - they are intended to be loaded down. I put their kit on both the 2.0T and 3.0T and am very pleased with the results.
AEV 2.5in DualSport RT Lift Kit|Northridge4x4

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!
AEV all the way. Designed for exactly for what you have and want to do.

My rig weighs 7040 loaded. AEV handles it perfectly as it’s designed for weight yet performance.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit of JL Ecodeisel 3F7FB711-EDC3-4D61-B139-32A78049CF19

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit of JL Ecodeisel B9528C82-1649-4DA6-9028-D1C12A8445E9

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Hi
My wife and I have a 2021 Rubicon Ecodeisel. We have roof top tent, fridge, solar generator—so some extra weight.
Wanted to get recommendations for a 2.5 inch lift kit. We mainly overland. But that sometimes involves a little rock crawling that is more than the stock Rubicon is comfortable with.
We are leaning toward the MetalCloak game changer. We are also looking at Nitto Trail Grappler in 35 inch.
Any thoughts?
thanks!
I have JLUAD installed the MetalCloaks 2.5 dual sport lift kit. (night and day vs stock.) plan on expanding it in the near future to the full Game Changer. Peace of mind MetalCloak also has a lifetime warranty, with excellent customer service. Already did the front drive shaft upgrade strongly recommended not necessary unless you wheel it. I would stay away from TeraFlex having the diesel but would strongly consider the superb engineering of Clayton Lift IMO. If you wheel it and doing a tire upgrade always opt for the MTs. The 1st time you encounter snow, most important significant mud on the trail. unexpected downpours or lower elevations where the snow has melted, (including springtime) you will VERY happy that you opted for the MTs. Nitto is proven and a great choice. I run with the Patagonia's. 35's are adequate and does the job just fine. I opted for 37 because there "37s", "looks cool". Wouldn't regret not going bigger, but most importantly keeps the ground clearance when airing down. knew I would not need to regear nor worry about losing 8 gear. Another huge benefit of owning the diesel with the sweet 373 gears. I often wheel alone don't always have a spotter 37's help in those times. With a good spotter 35 should be fine but definitely get the MT's. A Jeep Wrangler Is is very capable, the Rubicon is the most capable. The number one thing anyone can do to lessen the off road ability is by not opting for MT's IMO. All trains is a perfect happy medium for your Tacos and 4 runners. The little extra hum from MT's should not matter in the scheme of things after all it's a Jeep Wrangler. They weren't built like the Bronco, Taco and 4runner for on road SUV quietness they were built for their offroad capability. Therefore will ALWAYS have a rougher,noisier ride. (as they should).

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sledge1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV all the way. Designed for exactly for what you have and want to do.

My rig weighs 7040 loaded. AEV handles it perfectly as it’s designed for weight yet performance.

That is one beautiful rig. Wow. Thanks so much for responding. We are somewhat new. Wife walked 19 months ago and said we are going to start camping once we get that new Bronco outer banks we ordered. Went to visit friends in colorado last may. Rented a sahara and went off roading. Wife looks over at me and says “how are we 56 years old and have never done this before”. Got home. Got the email from Ford saying “its our suppliers fault, not ours, but you wont see the Bronco till 2022…”ordered the JLU Diesel. Learned the jeep wave and havent regretted a thing. Went overlanding in Colorado in Late September. It was amazing. We are hooked.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I would check out Clayton. They make a great kit. I've had AEV and it is good kit if you do a lot of pavement and fireroads, but I wouldn't run their suspension kit for my jeep again; for my jeeping it is not adequate. If you really want to do rock crawling or more slow crawling up harder trails you gain big benefit from longer control arms, but this does negatively affect your pavement handling. Personally I don't corner hard and drive my jeep like a car on pavement, so kits like AEV don't benefit me. But offroad I like to be challenged as long as I'm not risking body damage and find better comfort and control with a mid-arm kit. I used to not mind maintenance, but with 3 young kids I don't have that time so I prefer a more OEM style maintenance which can sacrifice ultimate flex performance. A lot of kits that replace control arms require greasing of those joints every oil change, this isn't hard but it can take time so think about what you want out of maintenance.

Another thing to consider is vehicle weight. You mention fridge, RTT, etc. But more important, bumpers stock or steel? winch? tire size? Heavy bumpers and a winch can make a huge difference on how a suspension kit sits and handles.

OP
OP

Sledge1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would check out Clayton. They make a great kit. I've had AEV and it is good kit if you do a lot of pavement and fireroads, but I wouldn't run their suspension kit for my jeep again; for my jeeping it is not adequate. If you really want to do rock crawling or more slow crawling up harder trails you gain big benefit from longer control arms, but this does negatively affect your pavement handling. Personally I don't corner hard and drive my jeep like a car on pavement, so kits like AEV don't benefit me. But offroad I like to be challenged as long as I'm not risking body damage and find better comfort and control with a mid-arm kit. I used to not mind maintenance, but with 3 young kids I don't have that time so I prefer a more OEM style maintenance which can sacrifice ultimate flex performance. A lot of kits that replace control arms require greasing of those joints every oil change, this isn't hard but it can take time so think about what you want out of maintenance.

Another thing to consider is vehicle weight. You mention fridge, RTT, etc. But more important, bumpers stock or steel? winch? tire size? Heavy bumpers and a winch can make a huge difference on how a suspension kit sits and handles.
Great question. Yes on a winch. Probably warn10l evo. Looking at bumbers and leaning toward some aluminum ones that brad from trailrecon put on his JK. Cant recall rhe brand. I do love the metal cloak stubby though. Will do the goose gear full rear seat delete.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

We have a 2021 Rubicon diesel and I'd highly recommend the AEV kit. We where looking for a more overland type kit but something we could still have some fun in the rocks. The AEV kit rides amazing and handles great on the pavement. It also had OEM type maintenance which is very little. Had a blast last week in Moab and had no complaints.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit of JL Ecodeisel IMG_20211024_191129

OP
OP

Sledge1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have a 2021 Rubicon diesel and I'd highly recommend the AEV kit. We where looking for a more overland type kit but something we could still have some fun in the rocks. The AEV kit rides amazing and handles great on the pavement. It also had OEM type maintenance which is very little. Had a blast last week in Moab and had no complaints.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit of JL Ecodeisel IMG_20211024_191129
That looks awesome. Love the Sarge green. We went with white. Love it. But I am former military and the Sarge green was pulling at my heart. Thanks for the advice! Will let you know which way we go.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sledge1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the full Metalcloak 3.5 GC, along with the underarmor, fenders, bumpers and fender liners. I really like the system. It does everything I want it to do.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit of JL Ecodeisel 20210923_144936
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit of JL Ecodeisel 20210923_144936
That is outstanding. Pretty much what we are looking for. How do you like the metal cloak bumpers? Is there enough room to step on the side at the ends? What kind if winch? Beautiful. Just beautiful. We are so happy to be part of the Jeep community.

OP
OP

Sledge1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great question. Yes on a winch. Probably warn10l evo. Looking at bumbers and leaning toward some aluminum ones that brad from trailrecon put on his JK. Cant recall rhe brand. I do love the metal cloak stubby though. Will do the goose gear full rear seat delete.
Also what size tires did you out on ths rubicon? With the clayron and the tires whats your height to the stock roof and what the increas total over stock?

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
That is outstanding. Pretty much what we are looking for. How do you like the metal cloak bumpers? Is there enough room to step on the side at the ends? What kind if winch? Beautiful. Just beautiful. We are so happy to be part of the Jeep community.
I really like the bumper. You can step up onto the bumper ends if you want. The bumper ends have a slight pitch up. The winch is the Warn Evo 12k with the Factor 55 hook. I also have the MC rear bumper and love it. The bumper completely protects the sides of the jeep.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Clayton 2.5" lift kit coming in and I had my kings revalved to work with their springs. Looks like a solid kit with Metalcloak like bushings, better end links and "made for diesel." I wrote it with quotes because its really just the V6 lift but with 3.5" front springs instead of 2.5
Sponsored