Sponsored

Lift kit needed for 35" tires on Sahara?

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Rubicon axles are 1.5" wider
You will need +25 wheel offset on non rubicon Jeep to have your wheels sit the same in relation to the frame.

I do agree that -12 offset on Rubicon looks bad and even with lift you can cause damage to flares with enought articulation.
Yes I agree if you want the wheels to sit in the same relationship to the frame as they do with the Rubicons. There is also no argument with that the JLs needs a 1.5-2” lift to not contact the tire to the fenders.

My intended point was that one does not necessarily need “spacer” to fit and run 315 “35s” with stock rims on a JL to avoid “frame” contact. The JL axels are .75” shorter on the ends (1.5” overall shorter) compared to the JLR axles. At full wheel lock, stock ride heigh, with 315s “35s” on stock rims the JLRs have slightly more then 1.5” of space between the closest points of contact with the wheels. Remove the .75” differences and there is still plenty of room between the closest contact points.

*Given this might no be enough extra room for some because of regional needs and concerns.

Below are from my JLUR with 315 “35s” on stock rims at full wheel lock. It is clear that even with the .75” shorter axles ends of the JL that one should have sufficient room for 315 “35s” on non JLR Wranglers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit needed for 35" tires on Sahara? C109D6BB-20BE-4148-8AAD-DAB0C036A267

Tire turned inward toward sway bar.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit needed for 35" tires on Sahara? 8FA30826-EA56-4CB1-93D1-517CF5A16118

Distance from tire to frame

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit needed for 35" tires on Sahara? 167FB1BC-887A-4531-9FA2-2AEA685A07E0

Distance from tire to lower control arm.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit needed for 35" tires on Sahara? 6E91B272-728C-4594-8E31-294EFCB74D77

Shown with tires straight on my JLUR. The tires stick out past the flares ~.5” . The JL with its tires siting inboard by .75” with stock rims and 315 “35s” fit more flush with the flares. Granted this is not the “look” some want but that is not my point.

I will endeavor to take the same photos of my friends with a 2019 JL Sport and 2020 JLU Willys(this we know has the rear gen3 D44 like the JLRs). Both are running 315s on stock rims, though both now minor lifts to clear the fender so the result may be skewed slightly.
Sponsored

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So i solved part of the reason for the sluggishness after an oil change by myself.

lo and behold the classic dealer overfilling of motor oil. Didn’t check my service sheet last oil change and only realized yesterday they filled 6.5 quartz.

it was time for my oil change anyways and i emptied the drain for almost 30 mins and then refilled up to 5 quartz. Engine within 5 mins immediately felt more nimble.

called FCA and filled a complaint. I’m keeping my receipt just in case i run into any engine issues in the future. Thank god it didn’t blow any gaskets.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Oh no!!! Couldn't you have used another example? :CWL::CWL::CWL:

What's your background? Are you an engineer or something? Your answers tend to be technical.
LOL. Ah, but the monstrosity... I mean angry eyes, described it perfectly.

And, yeah, Mechanical Engineer. I've done some automotive stuff, but mostly one off type work.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I agree if you want the wheels to sit in the same relationship to the frame as they do with the Rubicons. There is also no argument with that the JLs needs a 1.5-2” lift to not contact the tire to the fenders.

My intended point was that one does not necessarily need “spacer” to fit and run 315 “35s” with stock rims on a JL to avoid “frame” contact. The JL axels are .75” shorter on the ends (1.5” overall shorter) compared to the JLR axles. At full wheel lock, stock ride heigh, with 315s “35s” on stock rims the JLRs have slightly more then 1.5” of space between the closest points of contact with the wheels. Remove the .75” differences and there is still plenty of room between the closest contact points.

*Given this might no be enough extra room for some because of regional needs and concerns.

Below are from my JLUR with 315 “35s” on stock rims at full wheel lock. It is clear that even with the .75” shorter axles ends of the JL that one should have sufficient room for 315 “35s” on non JLR Wranglers.

C109D6BB-20BE-4148-8AAD-DAB0C036A267.jpeg

Tire turned inward toward sway bar.

8FA30826-EA56-4CB1-93D1-517CF5A16118.png

Distance from tire to frame

167FB1BC-887A-4531-9FA2-2AEA685A07E0.png

Distance from tire to lower control arm.

6E91B272-728C-4594-8E31-294EFCB74D77.png

Shown with tires straight on my JLUR. The tires stick out past the flares ~.5” . The JL with its tires siting inboard by .75” with stock rims and 315 “35s” fit more flush with the flares. Granted this is not the “look” some want but that is not my point.

I will endeavor to take the same photos of my friends with a 2019 JL Sport and 2020 JLU Willys(this we know has the rear gen3 D44 like the JLRs). Both are running 315s on stock rims, though both now minor lifts to clear the fender so the result may be skewed slightly.
Thank you for this explanation. I currently have +30 17x8 wheels with 285/70/17 tires on my Sahara. I was looking to move to 35s with spacer lift and was worried about clearance on full lock. Based on the above explanation, i might be ok with a regular 35x12.5 same don't have to restrict to 35x11.5 which is near to the 285mm width tire i already have?

Based on just math +25 should have been the ideal case (should have gone with AEV pintler/borah).. but i love my rims (Black rhino warlord) and want to keep them the same

Scoobiedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Thank you for this explanation. I currently have +30 17x8 wheels with 285/70/17 tires on my Sahara. I was looking to move to 35s with spacer lift and was worried about clearance on full lock. Based on the above explanation, i might be ok with a regular 35x12.5 same don't have to restrict to 35x11.5 which is near to the 285mm width tire i already have?

Based on just math +25 should have been the ideal case (should have gone with AEV pintler/borah).. but i love my rims (Black rhino warlord) and want to keep them the same
I know this thread is a bit dated. I just started a conversation with Shots to avoid posting, but now that I've read to the end and seen this post... it reads as if I posted it. I have the same wheels... Rhino Warlord and love them. I'm wanting to go to 35s and would like a little bit of a lift, but nothing crazy. Did you ever make the move and get 35s?

Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I know this thread is a bit dated. I just started a conversation with Shots to avoid posting, but now that I've read to the end and seen this post... it reads as if I posted it. I have the same wheels... Rhino Warlord and love them. I'm wanting to go to 35s and would like a little bit of a lift, but nothing crazy. Did you ever make the move and get 35s?
I have been running BFG 315/17/70 C for over a year now. I had to do one washer each side on the turning stopper bolt to eliminate a slight rub at full lock. Additionally I have JKS adjustable lower control arms that have a pronounced inward bend for further clearance when swaybar disconnected off road.

A few weeks back, I installed Mammoth off-road 1.25" hub centric wheel spacers which puts me at 17x8+0 wheel equivalent (or 17x8+12 equivalent on wide track axles).

This is to follow what jeep did with XR. A 1.5" lift needs increased track width for putting CG and roll center back to stock spec. I am able to corner much harder and it takes a bit more angle off camber to trigger pucker factor

Tyler88

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Do you HAVE to get a lift kit added on a 2020 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara if you put 35" tires on it? Also will you need to regear/calibrate anything if adding the 35's?
I have a 2018 JL Sahara that I got from the dealer already lifted, It has been pretty good except around 30k miles and 3 years of ownership there was a clicking noise coming from the rear axle and I took it to the dealership and said it was a bearing that worn out, it was covered under powertrain warranty but I guess just be mindful of it since mine is still on the stock Sahara axles and diffs so just watch it if lift it.

Scoobiedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I currently have 285/70/17 ... measuring about 11.5" wide and 32" tall, as they are now at about 32 psi.

My first step on the running board step is at about 15". If I add a 2-2.5" lift kit and the 35" tires... will that first step be about 4-4.5" higher (19-20" to first step), considering the lift + added tire height?

I estimate they'll extend about another 5/8 - 3/4" outside the fender, assuming I use these same wheels.

Technically speaking... I suppose the tire comparison chart should be accurate:

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit needed for 35" tires on Sahara? 1688747616146

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit needed for 35" tires on Sahara? 1688747072495

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift kit needed for 35" tires on Sahara? 1688747096629

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
For driving around town, you can absolutely get away with 35’s and no lift. If you prefer the stuffed fenders look, all you NEED even to wheel it is bump stop extensions to keep the tires out of the fenders when stuffed. No you don’t NEED to regear or recalibrate either. All that being said, I don‘t think any of that is optimal. I think you could get by with the gears, but at the very least I’d want to recalibrate for tire size. I think every wrangler is limited by the factory shocks as they are just too short even at stock height with no additional bump stop. I also don’t like wheeling with the sway bar connected so disconnects are a must. I also think the Jeep is very limited on break over angle without some lift. If I were building a Sahara for 35’s I’d probably start with the AEV 2.5” dual sport kit as it does a good job of addressing geometry changes of adding lift, addresses speedometer/tire size calibration, and includes bilstein shocks which I am a fan of their ride. From there I’d add sway bar quick disconnects and run it. You’ll definitely lose some acceleration with the 3.45s but it would be tolerable. From there I’d keep my I on the member market place for a deal on some rubicon or even better xr axles as I’d have a hard time sinking regear money into a Dana 30. Those axles would gain you gears, lockers, strength, and a bit of track width and can often be found for the same price as regearing the Sahara axles.
Sponsored