Sponsored

Lift kit for a new Rubi- Mopar, MC or Dynatrack?

Amitfisher

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Hi all, and thanks in advance for your help. Newbie here, so sorry if these were asked before, I spent many hours on the forums and could not find answers to the below, or saw many diff opinions :)
Needs: first Rubi (!), JL 2021, 2.0 Turbo, arriving Oct’20. Road during the day, off road on weekend. Eventually want to do the Rubicon trail (I live in CA) but first want to build experience towards (so start with trial, move to rock climbing)
I’m debating which lift kit to add. I decided to go with 2’’-3’’ kit with 35’’ tires as I believe it will serve both purposes (correct? Is it the right decision?)

I looked at the options below, but open to suggestions:

1. Mopar 2’’. Like the fact that it is from Mopar (help keep warranty on the JL?) and has Fox shocks, but saw few posts on issues with springs. Also concerned 2’’ is too low (although I heard it is effectively 2.5’’?). Do I need to add new track bar to this kit?
2. Metalcloak. Heard good reviews, but concerned they do not have a version with Fox shocks (I don’t the RockSport option, and the 6Pak are too expensive?). Can I buy the ‘no shock’ version and add fox myself (on their website they say something like “we have adapted to our recommended shocks and...”. ). If so, which Fox to chose?
3. Dynatrack, look simple, also like they come with Fox, but did not see many positive reviews beside the sponsored YouTubes. Do I need to add track Bar’s here?

Anything else I should look at?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
1) you could run the 35s on the stock Rubicon lift.
2) if money isn’t a concern, I’d go MC and 37s :devil:
3) you’ll go 2” lift and 35s then I’ll say told you so :devil::devil:

OP
OP
Amitfisher

Amitfisher

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
1) you could run the 35s on the stock Rubicon lift.
2) if money isn’t a concern, I’d go MC and 37s :devil:
3) you’ll go 2” lift and 35s then I’ll say told you so :devil::devil:
Ha! So you recommend to go with 37’’ now? What about the road ride quality? Any concern with car warranty adding the 37’’?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Hi all, and thanks in advance for your help. Newbie here, so sorry if these were asked before, I spent many hours on the forums and could not find answers to the below, or saw many diff opinions :)
Needs: first Rubi (!), JL 2021, 2.0 Turbo, arriving Oct’20. Road during the day, off road on weekend. Eventually want to do the Rubicon trail (I live in CA) but first want to build experience towards (so start with trial, move to rock climbing)
I’m debating which lift kit to add. I decided to go with 2’’-3’’ kit with 35’’ tires as I believe it will serve both purposes (correct? Is it the right decision?)

I looked at the options below, but open to suggestions:

1. Mopar 2’’. Like the fact that it is from Mopar (help keep warranty on the JL?) and has Fox shocks, but saw few posts on issues with springs. Also concerned 2’’ is too low (although I heard it is effectively 2.5’’?). Do I need to add new track bar to this kit?
2. Metalcloak. Heard good reviews, but concerned they do not have a version with Fox shocks (I don’t the RockSport option, and the 6Pak are too expensive?). Can I buy the ‘no shock’ version and add fox myself (on their website they say something like “we have adapted to our recommended shocks and...”. ). If so, which Fox to chose?
3. Dynatrack, look simple, also like they come with Fox, but did not see many positive reviews beside the sponsored YouTubes. Do I need to add track Bar’s here?

Anything else I should look at?

Thanks so much!
The higher end fox 2.0 resi shocks are good but I don’t understand the desire for the regular fox 2.0? They are decent but not the end all be all. The key to the ideal ride, is to pair the coils with shocks. The rocksports are a fine entry level shock that perform great. When they need replacing you can order a set of 4 for $276.

from the options listed the MC is a no brainer. You’ll need to spend several hundred more on the Dynatrac to get it comparable to the MC options.

brett

CalPolyDM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Mopar lift and I like it, although, I was a good 1.5” off center after and went with the Synergy adjustable track bar to re-center the axle. I got far more than 2” in lift, although the rubicon is higher to start. My kit is the most recent and I don’t have the spring issues. Like yourself, I wanted to keep my warranty.

If you look at my pics, it’s a bit different compared to your ride. I’m running a 2020 sport S and also running 34’s. I didn’t want to worry about rubbing, wanted the tires to tuck under the fenders while running rubicon wheels. By going with the KO2 LT285/75R17, I was a couple inches narrower vs 12.5” wide 35’s and the difference in height isn’t noticeable. These are E rated tires and I get better mileage - 20 mpg on the highway. If you like the wide stance, my setup isn’t the way to go. But, I wanted the OEM look and practically given almost all my time is on road. Road noise isn’t bad at all.

Sponsored

Agswin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The Mopar and Dynatrac aren't on the same level as the MC. Neither one of them are complete systems. You will need at the minimum adjustable lower control arms, front track bar and rear track bar relocation bracket which will add another $800+

The MC is a complete system and gets rave reviews from everybody that has it from what I have read. There are 2 options. One with just 2 upper control arms to fix the caster or the Game Changer that has all 8 control arms. The price difference is about $800 between to 2.

I am in a similar boat and was set on Dynatrac and after further research am deciding between the MC Game Changer and the Clayton Overland which uses the Fox 2.0 shock. You want to use the shock that is designed to go with the coil, so don't get the MC and get a Fox shock, get their proprietary shock with it if you go that route

pitsqrd

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, 1997 Porsche 993, 1978 911 SC 3.6 Restomod, 2017 F150, XLT
Occupation
Biz Dev
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Amit,
Congrats on the Rubi!! I'm new to Wranglers also and bought a 2020 Sahara less than 2 months ago to replace the Grand Cherokee Overland that I gave my daughter, who by the way moved up to San Jose for University and play Volleyball for San Jose State U! In the less than 2 months, I've owned the Sahara, I have already installed Rubi take off wheels and tires, a take off Rubi suspension with .5" Teraflex leveling spacers and the longer Mopar LCAs. It drives better with this set up than the stock Sahara but there's still little dead spot of about 1-2 inches when driving a straight line, but my dealer service group has ordered the steering box for the TSB, so the dead spot issue should go away soon. Regarding the Warranty, I was worried when I first bought my Sahara, but it's case by case and really dependent on your dealer's service dept. Find a dealer/service team that is reasonable about modifications and as long as the mods are done correctly and can't be attributed to the warranty issue, you should be fine.

I just bought a set of Fox 2.0 (sorry Brett ;)) and looking at MC, RK, Clayton and lastly, Mopar Springs (not the kit, just spring to get a 2.5" lift). I took my Wrangler on a couple nearby off road trails, no rock steps or anything like that but some ruts, off camber stuff and the Rubi suspension I installed worked fine, so your Rubi will be set up pretty good as it comes from the dealer. But I do understand the consideration and desire to do a suspension upgrade.

When I installed the Rubi suspension and leveling spacers, I forgot to measure before and after so I don't actually know how much lift I achieved with the Rubi take off, but based on the trails I go on when I go flyfishing and hunting, I think a 2.5" lift, with the 35" tires that I will upgrade to in a few months will serve my needs 95% of the time.

I've read a bunch of good post on this forum about lifts, but I'm still not certain when aftermarket companies talk about a 2", 2.5", 3.5" lift if that is based on a Rubi stock height, a Sport stock height. As you can imagine 2.5" lift based on a Rubi stock height is like 3.5-4" compared to Sport stock height. My stock Sahara height was between Sport and Rubi so that adds another ??? factor.

Congrats again on your JLUR and welcome to the world of the Jeep modifications. Lots of great info and good folks on this forum so you are in great company.

G

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Amit,
Congrats on the Rubi!! I'm new to Wranglers also and bought a 2020 Sahara less than 2 months ago to replace the Grand Cherokee Overland that I gave my daughter, who by the way moved up to San Jose for University and play Volleyball for San Jose State U! In the less than 2 months, I've owned the Sahara, I have already installed Rubi take off wheels and tires, a take off Rubi suspension with .5" Teraflex leveling spacers and the longer Mopar LCAs. It drives better with this set up than the stock Sahara but there's still little dead spot of about 1-2 inches when driving a straight line, but my dealer service group has ordered the steering box for the TSB, so the dead spot issue should go away soon. Regarding the Warranty, I was worried when I first bought my Sahara, but it's case by case and really dependent on your dealer's service dept. Find a dealer/service team that is reasonable about modifications and as long as the mods are done correctly and can't be attributed to the warranty issue, you should be fine.

I just bought a set of Fox 2.0 (sorry Brett ;)) and looking at MC, RK, Clayton and lastly, Mopar Springs (not the kit, just spring to get a 2.5" lift). I took my Wrangler on a couple nearby off road trails, no rock steps or anything like that but some ruts, off camber stuff and the Rubi suspension I installed worked fine, so your Rubi will be set up pretty good as it comes from the dealer. But I do understand the consideration and desire to do a suspension upgrade.

When I installed the Rubi suspension and leveling spacers, I forgot to measure before and after so I don't actually know how much lift I achieved with the Rubi take off, but based on the trails I go on when I go flyfishing and hunting, I think a 2.5" lift, with the 35" tires that I will upgrade to in a few months will serve my needs 95% of the time.

I've read a bunch of good post on this forum about lifts, but I'm still not certain when aftermarket companies talk about a 2", 2.5", 3.5" lift if that is based on a Rubi stock height, a Sport stock height. As you can imagine 2.5" lift based on a Rubi stock height is like 3.5-4" compared to Sport stock height. My stock Sahara height was between Sport and Rubi so that adds another ??? factor.

Congrats again on your JLUR and welcome to the world of the Jeep modifications. Lots of great info and good folks on this forum so you are in great company.

G
Every lift compby Im aware of measures off a factory rubicon height. In addition to the advertised lift height, add approx 1.25-1.5” on top of that for A sport/sahara. The end lift height will be the same as a rubicon but your particular gain will would be more.

As for the shocks, I have Carli tuned fox 2.0 on my 2020 F350 and they are great. I like the 2.0 stabilizer. They aren’t a bad shock at all, just want folks to have realistic expectations so they aren’t disappointed if they don’t add up to what they wanted.

brett

OP
OP
Amitfisher

Amitfisher

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
The Mopar and Dynatrac aren't on the same level as the MC. Neither one of them are complete systems. You will need at the minimum adjustable lower control arms, front track bar and rear track bar relocation bracket which will add another $800+

The MC is a complete system and gets rave reviews from everybody that has it from what I have read. There are 2 options. One with just 2 upper control arms to fix the caster or the Game Changer that has all 8 control arms. The price difference is about $800 between to 2.

I am in a similar boat and was set on Dynatrac and after further research am deciding between the MC Game Changer and the Clayton Overland which uses the Fox 2.0 shock. You want to use the shock that is designed to go with the coil, so don't get the MC and get a Fox shock, get their proprietary shock with it if you go that route
Thanks! How would you decide between MC and Clayton? What are the criteria you use? Are you going for 2.5’’ or
The higher end fox 2.0 resi shocks are good but I don’t understand the desire for the regular fox 2.0? They are decent but not the end all be all. The key to the ideal ride, is to pair the coils with shocks. The rocksports are a fine entry level shock that perform great. When they need replacing you can order a set of 4 for $276.

from the options listed the MC is a no brainer. You’ll need to spend several hundred more on the Dynatrac to get it comparable to the MC options.

brett
thanks! So if we’re me you will go with MC even if they come only with rocksport?
Where can I learn more about the diff in the fox models you mentioned? “Regular” CS “Resi”? I was looking here:

https://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=truck&t=shocks&p=1&ref=search

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
The thing to remember is that the Rocksports in the MC kit are valved for the springs that they come with...you will have a better ride AND performance with dampers that are valved for the specific application they are being used for.

Do the MC kit the shocks and buy some fox when you get some miles out of the new lift. That way, you won't buy the wrong fox damper on the front end and end up hating your lift.

I run a MC Game Changer in 2.5" lift with 37's and could not be happier with it. The Jeep is daily driven (20k miles in 18 months) and will be driven from Ohio to Utah for Trail Hero next month.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! How would you decide between MC and Clayton? What are the criteria you use? Are you going for 2.5’’ or

thanks! So if we’re me you will go with MC even if they come only with rocksport?
Where can I learn more about the diff in the fox models you mentioned? “Regular” CS “Resi”? I was looking here:

https://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=truck&t=shocks&p=1&ref=search
I ran the rocksports on my personal JL for approx 20k miles. Went all over wheeling it too. My wife’s JL has a nearly $5k RK lift with custom 2.5” resi Radflo shocks. I’d take customers for back to back rides and 100% of customers preferred the ride of my $2500 lift with rocksports. High speed wheeling and hardcore offroading the Radflo‘s are superior but for daily driving and occasional use, the metalcloak game changer with rocksports is a great option!

heres a link accutune shared about the differences in fox shocks. It does a good job explaining the benefits of the reservoir shocks over the ifp.

https://accutuneoffroad.com/ifp-vs-remote-reservoir-shocks/

brett

OP
OP
Amitfisher

Amitfisher

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I ran the rocksports on my personal JL for approx 20k miles. Went all over wheeling it too. My wife’s JL has a nearly $5k RK lift with custom 2.5” resi Radflo shocks. I’d take customers for back to back rides and 100% of customers preferred the ride of my $2500 lift with rocksports. High speed wheeling and hardcore offroading the Radflo‘s are superior but for daily driving and occasional use, the metalcloak game changer with rocksports is a great option!

heres a link accutune shared about the differences in fox shocks. It does a good job explaining the benefits of the reservoir shocks over the ifp.

https://accutuneoffroad.com/ifp-vs-remote-reservoir-shocks/

brett
Thank you! This is very helpful. So you think the matching the MC and the fox 2.0 reservoir is not a good option? Should I stay with their rocksport option?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! This is very helpful. So you think the matching the MC and the fox 2.0 reservoir is not a good option? Should I stay with their rocksport option?
The biggest consideration is your budget. ADS and fox race ready 2.5 resi shocks pair well with the MC coils. I would suggest getting the rocksports and trying them out. For their price ($276) they are around 8 times cheaper than 8-9 times cheaper than the fox 2.5s. If you plan on wheeling a bunch and doing high speed fire roads like at the end of the rubicon trail, the upgrade is a worthwhile expense. However, even though you aren’t our customer, I try to be a good steward of your money and suggest products that will fulfill your need with a respect for your budget.

brett

OP
OP
Amitfisher

Amitfisher

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
The biggest consideration is your budget. ADS and fox race ready 2.5 resi shocks pair well with the MC coils. I would suggest getting the rocksports and trying them out. For their price ($276) they are around 8 times cheaper than 8-9 times cheaper than the fox 2.5s. If you plan on wheeling a bunch and doing high speed fire roads like at the end of the rubicon trail, the upgrade is a worthwhile expense. However, even though you aren’t our customer, I try to be a good steward of your money and suggest products that will fulfill your need with a respect for your budget.

brett
Thanks again. And would you recommend the 2.5’’ or 3.5’’ MC kit?

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thanks again. And would you recommend the 2.5’’ or 3.5’’ MC kit?
Personally I am going 3.5” MC and 38’s but I knew that I am gonna want to keep building up. If you can do a little and be happy, I’d go 2.5” and 37s. With 37s you’re gonna have to regear, definitely don’t avoid this. If you know that a year or two later you’re going to want bigger, just go big right away!
Sponsored