Sponsored

Lift is on (Question about steering and spare tire)

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I installed my 2in lift this weekend. As I was expecting, my steering wheel is off center. I have to turn left to go straight. Does this mean I need to make the drag link shorter? Also, I got an error after driving a few miles that my traction control has been disabled. Is this caused by the steering wheel being off? If I fix the steering will the code go away?

I also cannot fit my 35in spare on my Sport. It seems most of the people on this forum have no issues with a 35. Is the tire mount on a rubicon taller? Are the plastic bumpers on the rubicon cut out more?
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The drag link has to be lengthened, as you just made the side/hypotenuse of the triangle longer. The code will clear once you adjust the drag link. The problem with your spare may be new wheels? Might need a spacer. I would never mount a 35 to the tailgate but that's just me. Plenty of people do it. I just hope they aren't all complaining about it in a couple years.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my 2in lift this weekend. As I was expecting, my steering wheel is off center. I have to turn left to go straight. Does this mean I need to make the drag link shorter? Also, I got an error after driving a few miles that my traction control has been disabled. Is this caused by the steering wheel being off? If I fix the steering will the code go away?

I also cannot fit my 35in spare on my Sport. It seems most of the people on this forum have no issues with a 35. Is the tire mount on a rubicon taller? Are the plastic bumpers on the rubicon cut out more?
Rubicon tire carriers are bigger than the ones on the sport.

OP
OP
jdhunt0

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. How would I go about getting the part number?
88297540AG I think this is it if not it will get you in the ballpark. There’s some on eBay.

Sponsored

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I installed my 2in lift this weekend. As I was expecting, my steering wheel is off center. I have to turn left to go straight. Does this mean I need to make the drag link shorter?
rotate the drag link adjuster in (CW when viewed from driver side towards passenger side) to turn the steering wheel CCW

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I'm seriously considering a bumper mounted tire carrier. I'm concerned about the tailgate sagging over time. You know how things get saggy with age.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I got the Rough Country tire relocation and the reinforcement brackets for pretty cheap. I feel a bit of sag in my tailgate when I close it, but when it's latched, it all feels rock solid and at a good price.
Just remember that sag you're feeling is only going to get worse over time.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

When 4 Wheel Parts installed my 33's and lift they said I have to realign front end and Steering Wheel to adjust for it. I picked up that day and drove great.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jdhunt0

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
rotate the drag link adjuster in (CW when viewed from driver side towards passenger side) to turn the steering wheel CCW
My steering wheel needs to go clockwise.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My steering wheel needs to go clockwise.
It's really pretty simple. You lifted your jeep. The distance between the pitman arm and steering knuckle is now longer. You need to make the drag link longer to compensate.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
It's really pretty simple. You lifted your jeep. The distance between the pitman arm and steering knuckle is now longer. You need to make the drag link longer to compensate.
This should be the case if the drag link was not adjusted when installing the lift kit. However, the OP says he has to turn left to go straight. This means he has to shorten the drag link as he needs the steering wheel to turn to the right to center it. So something doesn't seem right here unless the drag link has already been adjusted.

OP
OP
jdhunt0

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
My drag link has not been touched.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My drag link has not been touched.
Then it needs to be lengthened. I think we're all just mixing words with where "straight" is. If you lifted your Jeep without adjusting the drag link, then it should have pulled the wheel to the right. You need to lengthen the drag link to fix it.
Sponsored