Lift height question

surferbandit

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Sorry for starting yet another lift question thread but I've read through this forum and a couple of others and still have questions. I picked up a 4xe Rubicon and have been planning my build. I understand that over 2.5 inch lift needs a drive shaft and I didn't really want to go that route. I've decided to do a spacer lift with 35's and keep the rubicon suspension for now.

I added an Arcus Stubby bumper and a 12k winch (off of my gladiator trade in) so there is some sag. I have about 1.3 inch rake right now. I plan on putting a rugged ridge bumper and swing tire carrier on as well which should help with some of the rake by sagging the rear a little.

I am debating between a 2 inch spacer in the front with 1.5 in the rear vs. a 2.5 in the front vs. 2 in the rear. I'll have shock extensions now but eventually I'll replace the shocks. I'm leaning towards the taller lift because of the bumper weight. So here's my question... with the 2.5 inch lift, do I run the risk of needing to replace the drive shaft? The epic video showed the angle of the drive shaft but that was a 3 inch spacer and this is a 2.5. I see several people have gone higher without replacing the drive shaft it but I do take it off-road at least once a month and don't want to have future issues.

My second question. This rubicon had plastic bumpers and the air dam was also plastic. I've owned several rubicons all with the plastic bumpers and always had a metal skid plate. I called the dealer and they didn't know which it should come with. I called Jeep Cares and was told that the dealer probably ordered it that way and that the metal skid plate was an add on. Did any of you get a metal skid plate with the plastic bumper?

Thanks in advance for the help with this!

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift height question IMG_3939

This picture is the day after I bought it (Iron Mountain in North GA mountains)
Sponsored

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
The driveshaft recommendation at 2.5" is really dependent on the lift and the shocks you get. I've had the same concern with mine and after talking to many different owners that have had lifts, most tend to be fine without the driveshaft. I think the only lift I've heard of, where it's more of a requirement is Metalcloak and that has a lot to do with if you use their shocks. If you're on the fence and think you may want to do a full lift without the driveshaft, I would just keep it at 2.5" and you should be fine as long as you don't go Metalcloak. It's a great lift, by all accounts though....

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Sorry for starting yet another lift question thread but I've read through this forum and a couple of others and still have questions. I picked up a 4xe Rubicon and have been planning my build. I understand that over 2.5 inch lift needs a drive shaft and I didn't really want to go that route. I've decided to do a spacer lift with 35's and keep the rubicon suspension for now.

I added an Arcus Stubby bumper and a 12k winch (off of my gladiator trade in) so there is some sag. I have about 1.3 inch rake right now. I plan on putting a rugged ridge bumper and swing tire carrier on as well which should help with some of the rake by sagging the rear a little.

I am debating between a 2 inch spacer in the front with 1.5 in the rear vs. a 2.5 in the front vs. 2 in the rear. I'll have shock extensions now but eventually I'll replace the shocks. I'm leaning towards the taller lift because of the bumper weight. So here's my question... with the 2.5 inch lift, do I run the risk of needing to replace the drive shaft? The epic video showed the angle of the drive shaft but that was a 3 inch spacer and this is a 2.5. I see several people have gone higher without replacing the drive shaft it but I do take it off-road at least once a month and don't want to have future issues.

My second question. This rubicon had plastic bumpers and the air dam was also plastic. I've owned several rubicons all with the plastic bumpers and always had a metal skid plate. I called the dealer and they didn't know which it should come with. I called Jeep Cares and was told that the dealer probably ordered it that way and that the metal skid plate was an add on. Did any of you get a metal skid plate with the plastic bumper?

Thanks in advance for the help with this!

IMG_3939.jpg

This picture is the day after I bought it (Iron Mountain in North GA mountains)
The sheetmetal plate is under the plastic air dam IIRC. I bent it backwards pretty quick. Check out MORE’s skid, it should work with any bumper.

As mentioned, shock extension length creates the DS requirement. I’ve done your proposed setup, then upgraded every single part after. If you’re going off-road, do it right the first time and save yourself some cash.

EDIT: that includes tires. I’d jump straight to 37s.

EDIT EDIT: Iron Mountain parking lot, two weeks ago, stock driveshaft.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift height question F48B1DD1-33B0-4D95-87C9-DD52CD29E706

OP
OP
surferbandit

surferbandit

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you both for the quick reply! @GATORB8, what lift is that? I've considered a full lift but had trouble finding something and have been worried about the whole drive shaft thing. I also have to consider the work garage height - I have a roof rack (thats sitting in the garage with the other parts I'm hoping to install soon). As long as I stick to a 2.5 inch lift I should be good.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thank you both for the quick reply! @GATORB8, what lift is that? I've considered a full lift but had trouble finding something and have been worried about the whole drive shaft thing. I also have to consider the work garage height - I have a roof rack (thats sitting in the garage with the other parts I'm hoping to install soon). As long as I stick to a 2.5 inch lift I should be good.
That’s a Metalcloak 3.5 Gamechanger.

Note, spacers get you exact height, springs will always be different. I’m 4.3”over stock.

Have you checked current clearance at the low point in the garage?

Sponsored

OP
OP
surferbandit

surferbandit

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The entrance is the lowest at 79 inches. Stock with 35s and a roof rack is just a hair below 76 inches in the back of the Jeep. If it’s a true 2.5 I’ll be ok but if it nets me 3 and change (like the AEV on the gladiator I traded in) I’d have to take the roof rack off.

Rhinozeroone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Having just put on a 2.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger lift on our 4XE, I do recommend careful consideration on what you do. We netted over 4" of lift initially. It has settled some but we have not re-measured. Also, while installing the lift, I had to disconnect the driveshaft to make the spring installation easier. This was not true with our previous JL Rubicon. The 4XE's transfer case is further back than the non-4XE (probably due to the electric motor in the drivetrain). Having articulated the suspension during the installation, I think I would recommend a new driveshaft anyway if you planned to off-road.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I thought that the metal dam on the Rubicons was more about protecting the sway bar disconnect system and not dependent on the front bumper selection. I would think that it should have come with the metal one. Who knows though these days. There have been some strange scenarios of options coming out of factory lately.

OP
OP
surferbandit

surferbandit

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, every rubicon I have seen had a metal air dam.... with exception of my 4xe.

I ended up getting a Mopar 2 inch lift kit and instantly regretted it. I read about people netting only 1 inch lift but it seemed that the newer posts were getting the proper lift height... so I took a gamble on it thinking Jeep had fixed the issue. I bought the lift from a dealer and its the newest model number but am extremely disappointed with the height. I have 1.25 inches in the back and around 2.25 inches in the front. This is before settling - I would have gotten more from any other lift including the Teraflex spacers. Once it settles I'll probably add spacers to the rear since I haven't added the rear bumper yet which I'm sure will sag it some.

Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
surferbandit

surferbandit

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My driveway slopes upwards so the lift in the front looks a little exaggerated in this picture

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg