Sponsored

Lift hard top by roof rack?

Jaybird98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKL Willys
If I have a set of Yakima 1A roof bars attached via the rain gutters, would those bars be a sufficiently strong point to connect the ceiling mounted lift?

The cargo weight limit of these crossbars is 220lbs which is designed around a dynamic load. My thought is that surely they could hold the hard top which weighs less than 200lbs suspended in a static state.
Sponsored

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not an engineer, but logic would say the static weight is measured by downward pressure on hardtop while attached to the Jeep and not the hang weight of your rack attached to your hardtop. I could be wrong. 🤪

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
If I have a set of Yakima 1A roof bars attached via the rain gutters, would those bars be a sufficiently strong point to connect the ceiling mounted lift?

The cargo weight limit of these crossbars is 220lbs which is designed around a dynamic load. My thought is that surely they could hold the hard top which weighs less than 200lbs suspended in a static state.
I'll say yes.

More important than what I say is why I say it.

The rear portion of the hard top on a JL weighs in at about 100 pounds.

The rain gutters must be able to hold at least 150 pounds because the Mopar Roof Rack can support that weight.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/removable-roof-rack-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl

That said, these ratings are for downward force, but I think you'll be okay. The point between where the rails lie best be the center of gravity, as measured front to back of the rear of the hardtop.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I think youll be fine. I carry a 15foot kayak on my racks and I would think there are some strong upward forces happening.
Sponsored