Lift. Am I getting screwed?

IdahoSting

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Not sure where you are located, but I just dropped my 19 JL to the dealer in Boise and the mopar lift will be $1800 installed and they are selling me the 35BFG KO2s for $1680 installed. They will credit me $500 back for the stock tires, so total price after trade is around $3,000. No spacers or programer for me though.
Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Here is an experience I had with 4 Wheel Parts, and why I generally refuse to give them my money. I see by your story that they have not changed their practices. Years ago, I had a 97 TJ that I wanted a basic 2 in spacer lift for. So I called them from their own parking lot with their catalog in hand. The tech that answered the phone quoted me almost twice what was in the catalog advertised price. So I marched right in and had a face to face with them regarding this discrepancy.

The model that 4WP uses is commission for sales and service and they generally do not regulate the techs on what they can get for parts and labor. I can not say for sure that this is the case here, but the quoted price is a bit extreme, I would personally seek alternatives.

I am not bashing 4WP, this is just my experience, and why I choose to do business elsewhere. Letting my wallet do the talking. I hope it works out for ya. And Just Empty Every Pocket!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Where do you live? Not many great shops here in Nashville TN
Tn Off Road in Lebanon, Essentially Off Road in Murfreesboro, Music City 4x4 in Madison are a few off the top of my head. You can google more.

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
Here is an experience I had with 4 Wheel Parts, and why I generally refuse to give them my money. I see by your story that they have not changed their practices. Years ago, I had a 97 TJ that I wanted a basic 2 in spacer lift for. So I called them from their own parking lot with their catalog in hand. The tech that answered the phone quoted me almost twice what was in the catalog advertised price. So I marched right in and had a face to face with them regarding this discrepancy.

The model that 4WP uses is commission for sales and service and they generally do not regulate the techs on what they can get for parts and labor. I can not say for sure that this is the case here, but the quoted price is a bit extreme, I would personally seek alternatives.

I am not bashing 4WP, this is just my experience, and why I choose to do business elsewhere. Letting my wallet do the talking. I hope it works out for ya. And Just Empty Every Pocket!
I agree with you totally. I have checked 4WP since the mid 90's and what you get is usually double what you will pay anywhere else. they wanted to charge me almost a grand for a in house (pro comp) 4' leaf spring lift... that was WITHOUT install..... I did buy tiers and rims from them lat year cause they had the wheels I wanted and the best price, but once they installed them I had issues with my brakes... I will NEVER use them for anything. Find a good little off road shop and work with them. Or you can install the lift yourself.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
There is a lot of talk here about voiding warranty concerns so you have the dealer install it. The dealer cannot void your warranty because they didn't install your lift. When they say, if you do the lift you aren't covered by warranty, it's a bit of a trick. The legal fact is that if you buy a lift and install it yourself or have a shop install it, they don't have to cover it under warranty. Meaning if there is a problem with the parts you installed, they are not required to warranty those parts, but logically you wouldnt expect them to since to warranty someone elses work. It does not mean they won't warranty your engine, your A/C or anything else. They just don't cover the springs your replaced or the shocks you added. They cannot cancel your vehicles warranty because you put a lift on. I've had 14 Jeeps over the last 25 years and all except one has been lifted and modified. I have never had a repair denied for warranty coverage because I had a lift. If you have a dealer that tells you otherwise you need to go elsewhere. Find a shop that is a dealer for a quality suspension company. Most companies have great warranties. RockKrawler, Clayton and others have lifetime warranties. If you have a good offroad shop, they will take care of you. Four Wheel Parts is known for being way over priced and they will invariably screw things up. They did my wife's Grand Cherokee lift and damaged 3 of the 4 wheel speed sensors and had to pay the dealer to fix what they damaged. Steer clear of them. The only reason I used them was we had won a $500 gift certificate from them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
There is a lot of talk here about voiding warranty concerns so you have the dealer install it. The dealer cannot void your warranty because they didn't install your lift. When they say, if you do the lift you aren't covered by warranty, it's a bit of a trick. The legal fact is that if you buy a lift and install it yourself or have a shop install it, they don't have to cover it under warranty. Meaning if there is a problem with the parts you installed, they are not required to warranty those parts, but logically you wouldnt expect them to since to warranty someone elses work. It does not mean they won't warranty your engine, your A/C or anything else. They just don't cover the springs your replaced or the shocks you added. They cannot cancel your vehicles warranty because you put a lift on. I've had 14 Jeeps over the last 25 years and all except one has been lifted and modified. I have never had a repair denied for warranty coverage because I had a lift. If you have a dealer that tells you otherwise you need to go elsewhere. Find a shop that is a dealer for a quality suspension company. Most companies have great warranties. RockKrawler, Clayton and others have lifetime warranties. If you have a good offroad shop, they will take care of you. Four Wheel Parts is known for being way over priced and they will invariably screw things up. They did my wife's Grand Cherokee lift and damaged 3 of the 4 wheel speed sensors and had to pay the dealer to fix what they damaged. Steer clear of them. The only reason I used them was we had won a $500 gift certificate from them.
That makes sense, but I am wondering: could FCA make a case that the warranty of some of the suspension components are voided because a non-MOPAR lift was installed? Say the factory steering stabilizer or even the driveshaft have an issue, could they say it is because you installed a metal cloak lift?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That makes sense, but I am wondering: could FCA make a case that the warranty of some of the suspension components are voided because a non-MOPAR lift was installed? Say the factory steering stabilizer or even the driveshaft have an issue, could they say it is because you installed a metal cloak lift?
Yes that’s what I was talking about in my earlier post, I developed a noise in my driveshaft on my other Jeep which had the rc 3.5 lift on it, and it came with replacement front driveshaft. Had local shop put the lift in, a shop that does work for the dealership. They said they couldn’t warranty a new driveshaft because it wasn’t their lift and they didn’t install it. So this time I went through them with my new Jeep. Haven’t had anything break yet suspension wise to see what they’ll actually do. They said that everything is covered, saying and doing are two different things.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
granted it was a cheap lift kit, the ride was terrible. I’ve pretty much never experienced a good lift. Now I’ve got the Rubicon of my dreams and I wanna do it right.
Found the problem, MOPAR is a cheap lift kit (minus the shocks) with the price tag of a good lift...it is an illusion, a farce, a lie.
You have the Rubicon of your dreams and want to do it right, I can see why you think MOPAR is the right choice, it is made by jeep, for jeeps, however it is not, and needs additional components to make it "right"

I am well aware that some people love the MOPAR lift...probably because they paid a buttload of money, if I spent $1200 + on a painted turd I would think it is the greatest shit ever too.

If you really want to do it right look into the maximus 3 kit, or something with adjustable control arms at the very least, geometry correction brackets would also be "right"...but a lot of people think springs and longer shocks is "right"

and nobody needs to quote my comment telling me i'm such an asshole for not liking MOPAR...so save the pressure on your finger tips for something else.

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Found the problem, MOPAR is a cheap lift kit (minus the shocks) with the price tag of a good lift...it is an illusion, a farce, a lie.
You have the Rubicon of your dreams and want to do it right, I can see why you think MOPAR is the right choice, it is made by jeep, for jeeps, however it is not, and needs additional components to make it "right"

I am well aware that some people love the MOPAR lift...probably because they paid a buttload of money, if I spent $1200 + on a painted turd I would think it is the greatest shit ever too.

If you really want to do it right look into the maximus 3 kit, or something with adjustable control arms at the very least, geometry correction brackets would also be "right"...but a lot of people think springs and longer shocks is "right"

and nobody needs to quote my comment telling me i'm such an asshole for not liking MOPAR...so save the pressure on your finger tips for something else.
I would certainly not call you names for not liking the Mopar lift, however I will include that my personal experience is totally opposite from What you Are posting. Do you have any personal ownership experience with The Mopar 2 inch lift for a jeep JL? I can tell you from my personal experience that my Rubicon drives and rides as good if not better than it did stock. And it performs Offroad flawlessly with the Mopar 2 inch Lift. My dealer installed my Mopar lift and it did not need any extra components at all. You have a great day sir!

Sobehall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I would certainly not call you names for not liking the Mopar lift, however I will include that my personal experience is totally opposite from What you Are posting. Do you have any personal ownership experience with The Mopar 2 inch lift for a jeep JL? I can tell you from my personal experience that my Rubicon drives and rides as good if not better than it did stock. And it performs Offroad flawlessly with the Mopar 2 inch Lift. My dealer installed my Mopar lift and it did not need any extra components at all. You have a great day sir!
And it’s also covered by the manufacturer warranty as well ...

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes that’s what I was talking about in my earlier post, I developed a noise in my driveshaft on my other Jeep which had the rc 3.5 lift on it, and it came with replacement front driveshaft. Had local shop put the lift in, a shop that does work for the dealership. They said they couldn’t warranty a new driveshaft because it wasn’t their lift and they didn’t install it. So this time I went through them with my new Jeep. Haven’t had anything break yet suspension wise to see what they’ll actually do. They said that everything is covered, saying and doing are two different things.
At 3.5" of lift, you need to replace the front driveshaft. Why? the angle on the joint is such that the driveshaft WILL prematurely wear out. The funny thing is that I got 3.5" of lift from the Mopar lift. As such, my front driveshaft is at an excessive angle and I fully expect to need to replace it soon. I like the way the Mopar lift rides, BUT the lift as packaged is incomplete. I paid $895 for my lift on ebay which I was comfortable with. After I bought Rockrawler spring perches (the Mopar ones are poorly designed and will fail sooner rather than later), Rockrawler front and rear adjustable trackbars, it was around $1300. The lift is of great quality, but it's simply incomplete for the amount of lift it gives you.

The dealer can't void your warranty for ANY repair for using non-Mopar parts unless they have a justifiable cause for why the parts might have caused a failure. Whether it is a Mopar lift that gives 3" of lift or a metalcloak lift, Mopar is within their right to not warranty a front driveshaft. 3+" of lift puts the driveshaft at an excessive angle and will cause it to prematurely fail.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree that the Mopar lift drives great. I do not agree that it needs no other components. It puts the front driveshaft at an angle that will cause it to fail sooner rather than later. The spring perches that come with the lift are poorly designed and will begin to collapse. If you measure your front and rear axles you will find that they stick out about 3/4" more on one side than the other. That is because the kit needs the trackbar adjusted either with a relocation bracket or using an adjustable trackbar. These are things that for $1400 Mopar asks, other manufacturers include in the kit.

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I agree that the Mopar lift drives great. I do not agree that it needs no other components. It puts the front driveshaft at an angle that will cause it to fail sooner rather than later. The spring perches that come with the lift are poorly designed and will begin to collapse. If you measure your front and rear axles you will find that they stick out about 3/4" more on one side than the other. That is because the kit needs the trackbar adjusted either with a relocation bracket or using an adjustable trackbar. These are things that for $1400 Mopar asks, other manufacturers include in the kit.
As I have said in another post I did measure my front axle and rear axle and they were off about a quarter of an inch but after the lift settled with the weight of a Warn winch and other components on the front, the axles are now centered both front and rear. Yours may not be this way as I have seen you state in other post. As I’ve also posted and this is just my opinion I do not believe all of these jeeps are made the equally from the factory. From reading problems that other people are having I’m having to assume that the geometry is different on some jeeps.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
At 3.5" of lift, you need to replace the front driveshaft. Why? the angle on the joint is such that the driveshaft WILL prematurely wear out. The funny thing is that I got 3.5" of lift from the Mopar lift. As such, my front driveshaft is at an excessive angle and I fully expect to need to replace it soon. I like the way the Mopar lift rides, BUT the lift as packaged is incomplete. I paid $895 for my lift on ebay which I was comfortable with. After I bought Rockrawler spring perches (the Mopar ones are poorly designed and will fail sooner rather than later), Rockrawler front and rear adjustable trackbars, it was around $1300. The lift is of great quality, but it's simply incomplete for the amount of lift it gives you.

The dealer can't void your warranty for ANY repair for using non-Mopar parts unless they have a justifiable cause for why the parts might have caused a failure. Whether it is a Mopar lift that gives 3" of lift or a metalcloak lift, Mopar is within their right to not warranty a front driveshaft. 3+" of lift puts the driveshaft at an excessive angle and will cause it to prematurely fail.
Yes I agree mopar kit is incomplete, I to had to get adjustable lcas and adjustable track bars. The rough country kit I used on other Jeep came with longer front drive shaft in kit, but was rear factory driveshaft that developed the knock, they blamed it on rear pinion angle due to lift. Rather they had the right to deny me or not, they still bank on you not wanting to fight it in court.
Sponsored