Lift Advice, Please!

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Sold my lifted JKU on 35s last month after 3 years of ownership and purchased a 2021 JLUR. After being pretty much locked in for a year (Covid), I'm anxious to really enjoy this warm season to the fullest in my new ride. Just purchased wheels and tires yesterday and they should be here in a couple of weeks (37s with 17 inch wheels). I went a little cheap on my JKUs lift and although the ride wasn't horrible, there was certainly room for improvement. Based on what I've been reading on this forum, a quality lift with quality shocks seems to hover around $2000-$2500. However, with the wheel/tire purchase AND the need to purchase an aftermarket tire carrier AND budgeting for a re-gear, I was thinking of a plan to stagger my lift costs

My idea was to get a 2.5 inch spacer lift for now along with quality shocks, perhaps fox 2.0. Then later when I'm ready for a real lift and the coffer has been replenished (maybe in a year), I'll already have the shocks I need to mate with the new lift.

In this next year, there likely will not be any off-roading. Since I had a lifted JKU on 35s, I'm aware that ride comfort will take a hit. What I don't know though is how much ride quality changes with a spacer lift w/quality shocks vs a real quality coil lift.

Are there any negatives to this plan that I may not have considered?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sold my lifted JKU on 35s last month after 3 years of ownership and purchased a 2021 JLUR. After being pretty much locked in for a year (Covid), I'm anxious to really enjoy this warm season to the fullest in my new ride. Just purchased wheels and tires yesterday and they should be here in a couple of weeks (37s with 17 inch wheels). I went a little cheap on my JKUs lift and although the ride wasn't horrible, there was certainly room for improvement. Based on what I've been reading on this forum, a quality lift with quality shocks seems to hover around $2000-$2500. However, with the wheel/tire purchase AND the need to purchase an aftermarket tire carrier AND budgeting for a re-gear, I was thinking of a plan to stagger my lift costs

My idea was to get a 2.5 inch spacer lift for now along with quality shocks, perhaps fox 2.0. Then later when I'm ready for a real lift and the coffer has been replenished (maybe in a year), I'll already have the shocks I need to mate with the new lift.

In this next year, there likely will not be any off-roading. Since I had a lifted JKU on 35s, I'm aware that ride comfort will take a hit. What I don't know though is how much ride quality changes with a spacer lift w/quality shocks vs a real quality coil lift.

Are there any negatives to this plan that I may not have considered?
The spacer lift won’t affect ride quality as long as you get some adjustable lcas or geometry brackets to increase your caster. The Rubi is on the low side of caster right out of the box, due to its slightly higher and it uses the same lcas as Sahara and sport. Also get long enough shocks to match lift height so you don’t lose any up travel.

That said, I would take money from re-gear budget and put it towards a quality suspension lift. The need for re-gear isn’t as urgent as it was in your JK. I’m on 37s and I’ve still got a lot of pep, and I still see 8 th gear occasionally. I’ll probably re-gear eventually but it’s not a priority right now.

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
The spacer lift won’t affect ride quality as long as you get some adjustable lcas or geometry brackets to increase your caster. The Rubi is on the low side of caster right out of the box, due to its slightly higher and it uses the same lcas as Sahara and sport. Also get long enough shocks to match lift height so you don’t lose any up travel.

That said, I would take money from re-gear budget and put it towards a quality suspension lift. The need for re-gear isn’t as urgent as it was in your JK. I’m on 37s and I’ve still got a lot of pep, and I still see 8 th gear occasionally. I’ll probably re-gear eventually but it’s not a priority right now.
Thanks a lot for the advice. Is your JLUR the 3.6 or the 2.0?

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I’ve got 3.6 auto, but the 2.0 also does real well.
I have the 3.6 also. I was asking because I've heard more often that those with the 2.0 get enough low end torque that they don't feel the urgency in re-gearing. I was wondering if you had the 2.0 and that's why you had that opinion.

I wanted to make sure we were comparing apples with apples (same engine).

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 3.6 also. I was asking because I've heard more often that those with the 2.0 get enough low end torque that they don't feel the urgency in re-gearing. I was wondering if you had the 2.0 and that's why you had that opinion.

I wanted to make sure we were comparing apples with apples (same engine).
Understood....... I think the difference is the 8 speed trans, it’s one of the best things they did for the JL.

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
@Roky when I lifted my JKU, it was with the Teraflex JK 4dr: 2.5” Coil Spring Base Lift with 9550 VSS Twin-Tube shocks. It rode rough but I just excepted the ride as I thought that was what lifted Jeep with 35s drove like. When I got my 2021 JLUR, I was amazed at how much smoother the ride was and how it soaked up bumps. I don't know if this is mostly attributed to the improvements on the JL platform, the C rated 33" KO2s (verses the E rated 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the JKU) or if my lift/shock combo on the JKU was subpar making the ride on the JLUR seem so much better.

One reason I was leaning towards getting the spacer lift is because I wanted to maintain as much of that factory ride as possible and I fear ending up with that same/similar harsh ride that I got after I lifted the JKU.

I fully expect the ride to get harsher with 37s but I don't want it to even be worse due to the aftermarket 'real' lift.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Roky when I lifted my JKU, it was with the Teraflex JK 4dr: 2.5” Coil Spring Base Lift with 9550 VSS Twin-Tube shocks. It rode rough but I just excepted the ride as I thought that was what lifted Jeep with 35s drove like. When I got my 2021 JLUR, I was amazed at how much smoother the ride was and how it soaked up bumps. I don't know if this is mostly attributed to the improvements on the JL platform, the C rated 33" KO2s (verses the E rated 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the JKU) or if my lift/shock combo on the JKU was subpar making the ride on the JLUR seem so much better.

One reason I was leaning towards getting the spacer lift is because I wanted to maintain as much of that factory ride as possible and I fear ending up with that same/similar harsh ride that I got after I lifted the JKU.

I fully expect the ride to get harsher with 37s but I don't want it to even be worse due to the aftermarket 'real' lift.
I get that...... Your harsh ride on your JK is likely due to the combination of things you mentioned.

If your not planning on any real wheeling, then maybe your best bet is the spacer lift with some fox 2.0 for 2-3” lift. At the very least though do yourself a favor and get some Mopar lift lcas to help with your decreased caster.

I’m on RK lift and fox shocks, and the on road ride is amazing. A little firmer than stock, but not harsh. Feels more planted and responsive, I found the Rubi stock suspension to soft and floaty for my liking.

At the end of the day , it’s all subjective. Just don’t let your experience with your JK influence your decision making, because the JL is a different animal all together.

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I get that...... Your harsh ride on your JK is likely due to the combination of things you mentioned.

If your not planning on any real wheeling, then maybe your best bet is the spacer lift with some fox 2.0 for 2-3” lift. At the very least though do yourself a favor and get some Mopar lift lcas to help with your decreased caster.

I’m on RK lift and fox shocks, and the on road ride is amazing. A little firmer than stock, but not harsh. Feels more planted and responsive, I found the Rubi stock suspension to soft and floaty for my liking.

At the end of the day , it’s all subjective. Just don’t let your experience with your JK influence your decision making, because the JL is a different animal all together.
Which 2.5 RK lift do you have? I see they have 2 different choices on their website. I want to check it out. Also, Did you have to add any additional parts to the lift? Lastly, do you have an aftermarket tire carrier? If so, which brand?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Which 2.5 RK lift do you have? I see they have 2 different choices on their website. I want to check it out. Also, Did you have to add any additional parts to the lift? Lastly, do you have an aftermarket tire carrier? If so, which brand?
I’m on the 3.5 RK Xfactor No limits lift. No additional parts needed it’s a complete lift.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift Advice, Please! 25027A20-07C8-4AB8-93D2-974CA273FA78

I do have a EVO mfg tire carrier. It’s a hinge replacement carrier, not a reinforcement of factory hinges.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift Advice, Please! 18716E6C-7E10-4F8E-A1EC-433CBE9E0E34

here’s build link....

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/crystal-rubi-build.61821/

Sponsored

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
@Roky I ordered a RK 2.5 Adventure lift today.... So, soon I'll be getting some height! As for the EVO carrier, is it adjustable? On my JK I had a Rugged Ridge carrier and regretted it because it wasn't adjustable and the tire was higher than it needed to be obstructing my view. This time around I want to make sure I can lower the tire to rest on the bumper.
Sponsored