Sponsored

lifetime or 7/100 warranty-help me decide.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Since the clock is ticking I am thinking about the lifetime warranty. I've been in touch with Tom Winkels and he told me the pricing for the lifetime and the 7/100 warranty. basically it's roughly a difference of $1100.
I traded in my 7 year, 68,000 mile Explorer for the jeep.
I love my jeep and i think it would be great to keep it for a long time, but in reality, at the 7 year mark I may be itching for a new one since the u-connect will likely be vastly improved by 2025.
Plus, I have a manual transmission now and i love it, but will i still want to drive it when I'm 60?
I don't plan on wheeling and i don't drive too far. I will put less than 10,000 miles a year on it.
I asked my local dealer for an estimate of big ticket repairs and he said a new tranny is $6000. I would hate to have that come up right after the warranty expires.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Thereā€™s big money made on extended warranties for dealers and finance guys. Thatā€™s said, I wonā€™t own a new vehicle that doesnā€™t have a warranty in place for atleast as long as I plan on owning the vehicle anymore. The electronics are repair prices are astronomical as the technology in them has improved. For us, itā€™s not worth the gamble.

Brett

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
If you plan on getting rid of the vehicle in 7 years, why even consider the lifetime? Sounds like you already know what you want/need.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you plan on getting rid of the vehicle in 7 years, why even consider the lifetime? Sounds like you already know what you want/need.
I guess it's hard to tell what the future holds. Truthfully i am enjoying it and would like to keep a long time. I ditched my explorer mainly because the headlights sucked and i couldn't see at night. The electronic system was a bit out of date compared to the newer ford models, but that wasn't the deciding factor. It was more the headlights.

IdahoSting

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
I am in the same boat, except mine is in JL hell still. I have pretty much decided against lifetime as I don't plan to keep it more than 6 or 7 years. With all the new tech stuff, I am opting for at least a 7 or 8 year though. At least it is transferable, the lifetime is not.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am in the same boat, except mine is in JL hell still. I have pretty much decided against lifetime as I don't plan to keep it more than 6 or 7 years. With all the new tech stuff, I am opting for at least a 7 or 8 year though. At least it is transferable, the lifetime is not.
I didn't know the 7 year was transferable. Is that in every state?

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I've had 27 Used and new Jeeps so as you can imagine don't keep them long. However I did buy extended warranty's on 3 of those including the newest JLU, never used any yet. My last trade in I did get some $$ back on the unused warranty, with only a little way into the extended time the refund was only a bit more than half!

As someone above said, seems like you've about made up your mind for the 7 year one? Don't forget even if you buy the extended warranty (7year/100k), after your 3 year/36,000 Jeep regular warranty is up you've only got 4 years/64,000 miles left of your optional warranty! YOUR EXTENDED WARRANTY DOES NOT start after your regular warranty, it starts soon as you buy it, that's the kicker!!! Of course my description starts with a new no mileage Jeep, yours would start I think (?)from day and mileage when you buy the warranty because your Jeep is not new.

Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had 27 Used and new Jeeps so as you can imagine don't keep them long. However I did buy extended warranty's on 3 of those including the newest JLU, never used any yet. My last trade in I did get some $$ back on the unused warranty, with only a little way into the extended time the refund was only a bit more than half!

As someone above said, seems like you've about made up your mind for the 7 year one? Don't forget even if you buy the extended warranty (7year/100k), after your 3 year/36,000 Jeep regular warranty is up you've only got 4 years/64,000 miles left of your optional warranty! YOUR EXTENDED WARRANTY DOES NOT start after your regular warranty, it starts soon as you buy it, that's the kicker!!! Of course my description starts with a new no mileage Jeep, yours would start I think (?)from day and mileage when you buy the warranty because your Jeep is not new.

Go Jeep!!!
I've only got 900 miles on my jeep so it's still new. Not zero miles but very new.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldnt consider any warranty that required me to take it to a dealer. A few insurance companies such as Geico have warranty programs that can be built into the payment...

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldnt consider any warranty that required me to take it to a dealer. A few insurance companies such as Geico have warranty programs that can be built into the payment...
YEs we have Geico and they mentioned the breakdown insurance. I will have to look into that further.
update: turns out we already have the breakdown insurance. My husband had them add it when we added the Jeep.

Last edited:

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
Read the fine print on the ā€œlifetime warrantyā€. They will only cover until the price of the repairs exceeds the price of the vehicle. Once I read through the the details I was less enthusiastic about the ā€œlifetime warranty.ā€

Lifetime Maximum Care
Vehicles with a minimum 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Warranty can be covered with a Lifetime Maximum Care Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan. FCA vehicles with the 5-year/60,000-mile, the 5-year/100,000-mile or the 4-year/50,000-mile Powertrain Warranty also qualify for coverage. This great warranty covers more than 5,000 components, including the engine, transmission, driveline, steering, air conditioning, engine cooling and fuel system, electrical and expanded electrical, front and rear suspension, anti-lock brakes, instrumentation, power group, luxury group, body mechanisms, manual interior mechanisms, Mopar accessories, plus safety and security systems. And, the Lifetime Maximum Care Vehicle Protection provides comprehensive coverage when the Standard Warranty expires. In addition, Lifetime Maximum Care provides First-Day Rental, Car rental Allowance, $100 Towing/Roadside Assistance and $1,000 Trip Interruption Protection on the day you buy the Lifetime option. These benefits expire at 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Lifetime Maximum Care ends on the date of sale or transfer or when an individual claim meets or exceeds the fair market value of the vehicle at the time of claim or when the total amount paid for all claims under the warranty exceeds the purchase price of the vehicle. For more details on the possible the best extended warranty on the market, click Mopar Vehicle Protection Lifetime Maximum Care.
Sponsored