Sponsored

Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!!

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Utah

Moab

Chicken Corners trail.

This trail certainly fits the bill. It’s easy and about 26 miles one way from Moab (about 5 miles of that is on pavement until you get out of town) through amazing geology and history.

My wife and I went to Jeep Jamboree in Moab this weekend. And, while I did do Fins and Things (and earned a badge), it showed me that I had MUCH more fun doing the 52 mile round trip to Chicken Corner than a 9 mile loop at Fins trying desperately not to scrape my Jeep over ledges. Many love stuff like that. I don’t. I’ll stick to Trails for Pusses.

Chicken Corner is an old pack mule route that ends at a bluff overlooking the Colorado River. You can still hike around the corner on a trail that is about 300 feet in the sky and about 3-4 feet wide as you pick your way around the corner of the bluff. If you don’t go around the corner, you are a Chicken. Hence the name. We hiked the VERY short trail (about a hundred yards) around the corner but very few in the group did. You find yourself leaning into the rock wall because the alternative is not pleasant to contemplate. This is the kind of spot that these legs would not take me to. While there is likely a shorter hiking trail to get to the corner, it still would be a dozen or more miles round trip, I’m guessing. Without my Jeep, I would not have ’proven that I wasn’t a Chicken!” (Lol)

gorgeous drive, with stunning views the entire way. One narrow shelf road, blind, around one bluff make for a bit of challenge if heights/shear cliffs scare you (But it’s really short and really not bad at all.... even if shelf roads concern you.... I would say that you should try it.)

Take the kids and teach them about geologic uplift and erosion. Oh and as a plus, you can point out that the final scene of thelma and Louise was filmed just across the River (about center frame in the second image below).

highly recommend.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! Moab2

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 05889073-F76A-436D-BB18-0ACDCC179DFE
Sponsored

Last edited:

ObtuseMeatball

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Soft Top Firecracker Red
Occupation
IT Nerd
TENNESSEE

Great Smoky Mountains NP, Cades Cove

Many times in the Smokys, but first time for me through Cades Cove at fall peak. Cades Cove Loop road is about 11 miles around, all one way. During peak leaf season it can get extremely busy, and basically be a 5 mph caravan through the whole area.

Scouted out Rich Mountain Road prior to our trip and was not disappointed. The turn off is approximately 4 miles in directly across from one of the old churches past Sparks Lane. The route is unpaved, gravel, one way, very easy, and very lightly traveled. It's 12 miles long, very twisty, fun to drive, and ultimately exits into Townsend, TN. There are a couple pull off spots to relax and hang out. There are also a couple of spots to see Cades Cove in a way you'd never see from the loop road.

You should definitely see Cades Cove if you get a chance. You should also definitely take Rich Mountain Road for a completely different experience, if not just to escape the chaos of seeing it with 1000 of your closest friends.

AllTrails link:
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/tennessee/rich-mountain-rd?p=-1

Cades Cove on the loop
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! PXL_20201026_181944976

Few hundred yards into Rich Mountain Road
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! PXL_20201026_184732404

View from a few miles up the trail
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! PXL_20201026_185454569

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! PXL_20201026_191520019

Second viewing spot
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! PXL_20201026_192433768

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! PXL_20201026_192449186

Pull off for some relaxing a little more than half way
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! PXL_20201026_194737381

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! PXL_20201026_194750175

Another park resident before leaving the trail
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! PXL_20201026_202349139

Last edited:

ObtuseMeatball

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Soft Top Firecracker Red
Occupation
IT Nerd
GEORGIA

Currahee Mountain Trail, Toccoa

All Trails Link: https//www.alltrails.com/trail/us/georgia/currahee-mountain-trail?p=-1

This was our first "off roading" adventure. Currahee is about 1 hour outside of the Atlanta metro in Toccoa. It's a neat drive up the gravel road to the top of the mountain for some great views of the valley below.

There isn't much at the top other than a radio tower. However, there's still some room to stop, have some lunch, and enjoy the views.

Bonus is Camp Toccoa at the base of the mountain. You can visit and soak in some history. This is where Easy Company trained (think WWII and Band of Brothers). Bonus #2 is the Currahee Winery just down the road where you can stop for a bottle and look at where you just climbed!

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_20200703_141515

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_20200703_141518

View from the winery
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_20200703_150226

Try the Currahee Red!
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_20200703_150229

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Utah

Near Moab

Potash road to Shaffer trail

Take 191 north out of Moab and take a left on 279 (paved). Follow 279 along the Colorado River and the vertical cliffs (watch out for climbers and campers) down to the boat ramp. That’s probably 10 miles or so. Then, continue onto Potash Road (dirt). This road is suitable for many high clearance vehicles although there are sections that a 2-wheeler may have issues. Your Jeep will have no problem.

Amazing road/trail with amazing views along the Colorado River.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! potash1

You will be passing through Big Horn Sheep calving areas and there are signs to not let your dog out without a leash (neglected to take a shot of the sign) so as not disturb the sheep.

You will drive past the Potash plant (big ponds where they evaporate the water to get to the potash). Here is a google screen shot of the ponds:

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! A17459F4-1FFA-4816-BC05-1C08C9E973F1

Head out to “Thelma and Louise” point (ending scene filmed here). You can “keep going” but not in the way that they did (you’ll stay on the trail rather than over the cliff). The trail heads west another 8 miles or so ending in CanyonLands NP. Disclaimer: we ran out of time and decided to turn around at T&L point— we did not do the Shaffer trail into CanyonLands.

This trail is a FANTASTIC route into CanyonLands (Island In The Sky). We had been there two days before and had I known of this route, I would have take it instead of the paved road the whole way from Moab. I would highly recommend that you don’t make my mistake: don’t take your jeep 45 minutes on state paved Highway to get to CanyonLands..... take your jeep on dirt by going this way instead. It will cost you time but add to your enjoyment. Oh, and traffic? Well, we saw about 10 other vehicles (date: weekday, mid-October). Rush hour, it’s not.

Last edited:

Doug Huse

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, Fire Cracker Red, 2019 Winnie M/H, Kia
Great pictures. Makes me wanna go. What's it near?

PortlandJo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon / 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee North Edition
Occupation
IT
So I was thinking this would be handy to see on a map. I created a "proof of concept" in Google Maps. I threw a few of these on the map so let me know if you think this would be useful.

Let me know what you all think and if you think this is good, I'll start adding these to the map. If there other mapping products that work better, please share them with me.

Here is the link:
Lifestyle Trails

Any feedback good, bad is appreciated!

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So I was thinking this would be handy to see on a map. I created a "proof of concept" in Google Maps. I threw a few of these on the map so let me know if you think this would be useful.

Let me know what you all think and if you think this is good, I'll start adding these to the map. If there other mapping products that work better, please share them with me.

Here is the link:
Lifestyle Trails

Holy MOLY!!!!!! This is GREAT. Thank you for this. WOW!!!!!!!

i am wondering if I should edit my first post on this thread and add this map link?

Sponsored

PortlandJo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Holy MOLY!!!!!! This is GREAT. Thank you for this. WOW!!!!!!!

i am wondering if I should edit my first post on this thread and add this map link?
Yep..whatever helps folks find these places. Thank you for bringing this subject up. There are times where my wife doesn't want to go all "rock crawling" when we go out and about. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I would be more than happy to keep up with the entries.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase

Here is the link:
Lifestyle Trails

Great idea!!

WhitneyWillys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys

Here is the link:
Lifestyle Trails

This is super useful. Hope to suggest some of my own for addition.

PortlandJo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Great idea!!
This is super useful. Hope to suggest some of my own for addition.
I may look into creating a form where folks can enter details (address, GPS coordinates). Then I could import this data into the map. No promises, but I'll see what I can do. I may want to create a new thread on this so I don't take over the wonderful places and pictures this thread has produced.

Doug Huse

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, Fire Cracker Red, 2019 Winnie M/H, Kia
I may look into creating a form where folks can enter details (address, GPS coordinates). Then I could import this data into the map. No promises, but I'll see what I can do. I may want to create a new thread on this so I don't take over the wonderful places and pictures this thread has produced.
Wish I had the knowledge and imagination that you have. Another great idea. Thank you
Sponsored