Sponsored

Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!!

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Colorado

Boreas Pass

This is pretty much the best trail for pusses known to man. It’s just a dirt road (that was an old railroad route) but it does take you from Como to Breckenridge up and over the continental divide at about 11,500 feet. This “trail” is suitable for just about any vehicle (or bicycle).

If you are looking to teach the kids or grandkids about the continental divide, this trail is a must. If the kid is a young boy you can ask him if he wants some “water“ to go to the Atlantic or Pacific or maybe both? There are a few people parked at the pass, so if YOU want some ”water” heading in a specific direction, you will need to be fast, and especially fast If you are a women!

lots of opportunities to camp or hike from this “trail”. We didn’t. We just went into Breck and had crepes for lunch. The entire purpose of this drive was the Aspens in color:

91A41144-8FC6-4ED4-BB1B-3ED46CF2DFEF.jpeg
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’ll be watching this thread for ideas. My wife has no interest in shelf roads, especially the likes of Black Bear, etc... relatively technically easy or not.

GPX files attached would be icing on the cake.

chewieHVT

First Name
MV
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S
Near Ruidoso, NM, Lincoln National Forest

The drive up is all on unpaved roads. There are a few steep spots and drop offs, but overall an easy drive. The views of the Lincoln National Forest are fantastic and 360 degrees from the lookout building. When you reach Monjeau Lookout it is accessible, with the exception of the office at the very top of the building.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rui...7b5db6c7de2e!2m2!1d-105.73161!2d33.430786!3e0
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_4065 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_7106 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_7100
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_7092

IMG_4100.jpeg

Last edited:

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
Washington
NF500 to Cold Springs Campground and Mount Adams
Attraction: Primitive camping; hiking through a recovering forest; mountain climbing.
The last ~4.5 miles is a progressively rough dirt road impassible by low slung passenger cars.

This glaciated stratovolcano towers above its surroundings.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_3072.JPG

This area is usually accessible from late May-Sept since the campground is at 5600ft.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! NF500-ColdSpringsCamp_Moment

If you plan to hike above 7000ft, a permit, appropriate gear, and preparation are required. Permanent snow fields and glaciers dominate the upper mountain.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_3107.JPG

Edit: The campground is a very popular climber's camp so people arrive at all hours of day and night. If you plan to sleep there, bring ear plugs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Washington
NF500 to Cold Springs Campground and Mount Adams
Attraction: Primitive camping; hiking through a recovering forest; mountain climbing.
The last ~4.5 miles is a progressively rough dirt road impassible by low slung passenger cars.

This glaciated stratovolcano towers above its surroundings.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_3107.JPG

This area is usually accessible by car from late May-Sept since the campground is at 5600ft.

If you plan to hike above 7000ft, a permit, appropriate gear, and preparation are required. Permanent snow fields and glaciers dominate the upper mountain.
Eric, thanks for posting! Looks great.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
"Utah”
I was recently in Bullfrog, Utah. and found a short cut to Bolder,Utah. Part of the route was Burr Trail Road. The first section, BLM1200 road from Bullfrog was nothing but the Burr Trail Road was beautiful. I want to go back and spend some time exploring side roads when it isn’t hot weather in the 90’s.
Burr Trail road

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I was recently in Bullfrog, Ut. and found a short cut to Bolder,UT. Part of the route was Burr Trail Road. The first section, BLM1200 road from Bullfrog was nothing but the Burr Trail Road was beautiful. I want to go back and spend some time exploring side roads when it isn’t hot weather in the 90’s.
Burr Trail road
This looks terrific and the website shows mile by mile a whole bunch of info on geology and hiking opportunities. Exactly the kind of activities that the Trails For Pusses thread is focusing on. I’m sure many of these hiking trails could not be easily explored without traveling Burr Trail Road. Perfect for this thread! Thank you for adding!

can I ask you a favor though? Can you edit your post to add the word ‘Utah” in the first line, all by itself? That way if folks are just looking for a trail, as they scan the (hopefully long) list of options, they can easily see where it is. See my format above for examples. Thanks in advance.

Hans

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys 2.0 4D
Super thread !!!
Especially for us , we live in the US for 5 years , ( until the summer of 2024 ) and bought with Corona discount a new Willys , 2.0 ltr , 4 door . We will take the car with us to Belgium in 2024.
But we saw a huge amount of pictures of trails and awesome things to see, and I looked already things up on a map.We wanna grab the opportunity to see these parts of the US too and not only the places that the most tourists see.
Because I will have no lift or bigger tires ( due to a later inspection when arriving in Belgium to have my license plate ) , we would love to do some trails that I can do with my "stock" Willys .
I hope I can find a lot of trails and specific info on those trails to drive them with my stock Willys without having "accidents" or damages....
And by reading a lot on this forum , I know there are a lot of "experts" here .... :)

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Colorado.

Loch Lomond Colorado (up from St. Mary’s). About a 2 mile rutted and rocky trail to a stunning alpine lake and glacier fed waterfall. Cold, windy. Seasonal access only. Dispersed camping, fishing or hiking near/around the lake or hike further to additional (and higher) lakes. Any Jeep can drive this Lifestyle Trail without issue. No special skills needed. Not suitable for sedans.

Loch Lomond

Loch Lomond waterfall

Driving up

Driving up
I love this place, I need to get back up there! I too enjoy these types of trails. I do have fun challenging myself but not to the point of death/damage!

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Colorado.
Medona Pass in SW Colorado that is part of the Great Sand Dunes. is another nice road that takes you up a similar trail as Loch Lomond. and if you hit it in the right season, there is a few creek crossings that you get to go through and/or stop out. My boys loved getting out and walking up/down the creeks to explore.

There is primitive camping all along the road and plenty of hiking. I am not sure about Fishing, but there are the creeks and there is also a lake that you can hike to but I am unsure where on the road that it is. .

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Medona Pass in is another nice road that takes you up a similar trail as Loch Lomond. and if you hit it in the right season, there is a few creek crossings that you get to go through and/or stop out. My boys loved getting out and walking up/down the creeks to explore.
John, thanks for posting. Two things, 1) the link doesn’t work for me. could you fix it or, if not, could you be a little more descriptive about the pass and it opportunities to hike/fish/explore. And, 2) could you edit your post to put the State in the first line all by itself so that others when they scan this (hopefully long) list of Trails for Pusses they will be able to quickly see what might be ‘near them”. See my format above.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
John, thanks for posting. Two things, 1) the link doesn’t work for me. could you fix it or, if not, could you be a little more descriptive about the pass and it opportunities to hike/fish/explore. And, 2) could you edit your post to put the State in the first line all by itself so that others when they scan this (hopefully long) list of Trails for Pusses they will be able to quickly see what might be ‘near them”. See my format above.
Edited, Hopefully the link works now.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
CRNA
TENNESSEE, Bristol

Cherokee National Forest
Big Creek Rd.

This is a forest service road, mostly gravel, that has multiple trails off of it, some out to South Holston Lake. They too are forest service roads, but some can be muddy or washed out depending on recent weather.

62059269256__0AC77052-D484-46E7-948D-2484439FD804.JPG

62059312731__422FDF69-454D-4C1B-BFDF-963F5CDFAE65.JPG

62059408657__140B8A5D-297B-4BE1-9BC3-4F98A129E6F0.JPG

62059418752__DCF1AF56-CE43-4799-94F0-BDB5B7EA5E43.JPG

62059724724__D99FA1C5-6715-441B-B8A8-19F1C2002981.JPG

62059775575__8DA840AB-131A-4856-831E-D1E9D0E6E394.JPG

62059780142__388DCDE3-1017-444B-B18A-CC2D772D3AF9.JPG

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
First of two, both day trips for SoCal folks:

Joshua Tree - Black Eagle Mountain Road in the east of the park. Heads to some abandoned mines just outside of Joshua Tree. Mostly flat with a few washes to cross, the worst of which is called “Big Wash” on the map and can be explored independently. Difficulty may hit a 4 going down/up into it, but the rest of the trail is a nice ride. Highly recommend it on a full moon evening about an hour or two before sunset.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! A011F7AB-8C13-4D6A-825D-936749ECA42A

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
Second one I recommend is Gold Hill Rd. This is found off I-5 at the Smokey Bear Rd exit up past Santa Clarita. Gold Hill Rd is actually the southern entrance to the Hungry Valley SVRA, but you can tell the park ranger you’re just passing through to head to Alamo Mountain and they’ll usually let you in without paying the $5 fee. Follow it down along the southern edge of the park, and it heads through some hills and valleys, and even crosses a concrete creek dam at one point. If you continue up, you’ll climb to a trail that rings Alamo Mountain, with some camp sites and beautiful views of the forest.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! 022FDC29-1395-4218-872C-43C82DA422A3
Sponsored