Sponsored

Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!!

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
This is great for us beginners that are looking for easier trails
Yep.

But it’s also a helpful resource for folks who, like me, really never want to “challenge” our Jeeps or our offroad driving skills. Rather, I just want to get somewhere fun or interesting.

for many, driving a 10-mile loop over huge boulders or deep muck is what they enjoy. That’s terrific for them. But for some, like me, it’s much more fun to drive down some “trail” to get to something that you want to see or do. That’s what “trails for pusses” is all about.

if you find and drive a good Trail for Pusses, please post it here!

ParadigmDawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X, 2023 Rubicon 392
Clubs

Yep.

But it’s also a helpful resource for folks who, like me, really never want to “challenge” our Jeeps or our offroad driving skills. Rather, I just want to get somewhere fun or interesting.

for many, driving a 10-mile loop over huge boulders or deep muck is what they enjoy. That’s terrific for them. But for some, like me, it’s much more fun to drive down some “trail” to get to something that you want to see or do. That’s what “trails for pusses” is all about.

I think that is what we want to do too. I beat up my new TRX and have pinstriped the heck out of it. We decided a Jeep would be so much better but now that we purchased a new one, we aren't dying to beat it up. We are thinking about Livestyling the Jeep and doing whatever we want in the TRX which seems backwards...lol...

Beau Nugget

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 JKUR, 1979 Jeep CJ7, 1975 Bronco
I think that is what we want to do too. I beat up my new TRX and have pinstriped the heck out of it. We decided a Jeep would be so much better but now that we purchased a new one, we aren't dying to beat it up. We are thinking about Livestyling the Jeep and doing whatever we want in the TRX which seems backwards...lol...
That seems like a perfectly good disposition of a TRX to me.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It seems like it’s time for another addition to the Trails for Pusses thread.

Colorado… “California Park, Routt National Forest North west of Steamboat Springs “. Google maps: “California park, Colorado”

this is a terrific drive. Take hiway 40 north out of town (paved) to CO-70 (dirt) to CO-80 (also dirt). The drive will take about 2 hours —- especially in the fall as the Aspen turn their amazing yellow.

this is a simple maintained dirt road with one stream crossing (when there isn’t any rain) of about 6 inches.

the main draw of this drive is leaf peeping. It is nothing but stunning. But I am also told that hunting is a big activity here too.

you will likely see a few pickups on the roads for the cowboys who are working the land along the way but you’re unlikely to see anything else. It’s so quiet, you truly can‘t hear anything but a breeze blowing the grass.

the aspen groves that you will drive through have aspens that are as big (“old”) as I have ever seen. HUGE trees compared to what I typically see.

below are a couple of “panoramic” snaps. I didn’t shoot all the amazing journey through the groves.

take your jeep and go. Just go. In the fall about this time. Just go.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_1657-steam2

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_1666-steam1

Last edited:

Sponsored

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
Idaho (& Montana)

Lolo Motorway

Historic and scenic unpaved forest road that follows Lewis & Clark's journey through the Bitterroot Mountains following Nez Perce trails.

The road runs parallel to the original Nez Perce trail, with signage along the way describing conditions and events of the L&C journey. The eastern 40 miles between Lolo, MT and Powell is paved (US 12). The 'Motorway' (unpaved) turns off near Lochsa Lodge, which has fuel, food & lodging. This is the scenic and interesting section, running around 90 unpaved miles west to Pearce, ID.

Average road condition. Some areas are potholed or rough but nothing technical. A few sections are popular with the ATV & SxS folks, roll your windows up - can be dusty.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_3255.JPG

Indian Post Office - a sacred place for sending messages, was considered ancient even as Lewis and Clark passed through.
These are original rock pillars along the trail.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_3259.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_3261.JPG

There are a number of fire lookout towers in the area that are available to stay in. We saw one that required reservations, the rest, like this one was first come - first serve.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_3263.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_3267.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_3269.JPG

This was an unusual fire lookout along the trip - it is in active service. The sign said welcome to visit but please respect the privacy of the ranger.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_3271.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_3276.JPG

Good road for wildlife too, deer and moose are not uncommon.

The trail is at fairly high elevation and snow can persist late in the summer - verify the trail is open when making your plans.

LF

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
Washington

Bethel Ridge Trail aka FS325
This is a trail east of Mt Rainier, running from near Rimrock Lake along US 12, north, then dropping down to WA SR410. It is around 6000' elevation along the ridge with expansive views across the valley below. Mt Adams is seen to the south, Mt Rainier to the west.

The road is generally in good conditions with a few areas of potholes and washboards. A few areas are deeply rutted in the mud but have bypasses.

Mount Adams in the distance
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_5027.JPG

A viewpoint along the ridge
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_2337.JPG

Access to/from the north end of the ridge is from WA SR410, which goes over Chinook Pass and past Tipsoo Lake. Mt Rainier in the background.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle Trails (A.K.A. “Trails for Pusses”) — list them here!!!!! IMG_5030.JPG

East of Chinook Pass, near the access point to Bethel Ridge are a couple of nice places to pick up a good meal - Whistliin Jack's and Gold Creek Station. Fuel is available also.

LF

whitechocolate

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 80th Edition
Yep.

Thanks for the thread, exactly what we're looking for
Sponsored