Sponsored

Lifestyle 'Reset' with only a mountain home and a brand new Rubicon. True Jeep Life Story.

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
It has its ups and downs. I spent a couple days HR onboarding at the local office and IT sent me on my way with monitors, dock, and laptop with an info sheet for the VPN and a slap on the butt. I fully understand that it WILL limit promotion and professional opportunities since I'm not "client facing", it's up to me to network internally and maintain a supply of billable work to justify the remote work. That's a trade-off we were willing to make though, was tired of chasing the corporate ladder and we had a comfortable financial position before making the leap. The new lifestyle is an extremely low cost of living and much better for the soul, you'd be surprised at how much useless "stuff" suburban life comes with. We don't have cable or any TVs in the house, other than our work stations in the den/office it's minimal electronics, we work outside, play board games, build, fabricate, fix, and explore. I see more deer than people and regularly have to wait for a dozen of them to move off our driveway in the morning after dropping kids at school haha.
I'm assuming high speed internet availability was a concern when looking for suitable property for telework? The parcels I've looked at in northern California all struggle with a necessary high speed connection and rely on satellite connections.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Kangy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392 & 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel
Occupation
Technology Consulting (Automation & Data Analytics)
I'm assuming high speed internet availability was a concern when looking for suitable property for telework? The parcels I've looked at in northern California all struggle with a necessary high speed connection and rely on satellite connections.
Yes, it was a primary factor, the town we are in has very hit or miss internet. It was like a needle in a haystack. My big priority was land and location, I couldn't really care about the dwelling as long as it was safe and habitable for the family. We had another first choice but had to pass due to it having spotty internet coverage. Verizon was the only provider but they have very hit or miss service due to satellite, especially during weather, plus the speeds were crap. We truly lucked out, our community is one of the few in the outskirts (we're 30 minutes outside of the already small town) where CableOne (Sparklight) and they had ran cable lines along the power poles as an infrastructure assessment and the speed is BLAZING. We have 300 download and 30 upload which is just enough for what we use and it has been 100% reliable since we moved in. Really unless a pole goes down and takes the cable line out we're only loosing service in a major outage. Satellite connections suck, I don't think I would of been confident enough in one for both of us to have our income tied solely to a dish.

The other issue you need to look out for is cell reception. We have NONE here, I mean it exists if you like walking up the hill behind the house to get 1 bar of legacy 1G voice only connection. We have Verizon for our cell and they were awesome, I called them (before we closed escrow) to ask about it, they sent me a free 4G Network Extender and it exceeded expectations. It covers a good acre of our property with 4G service and us (plus guests) get 5 bars in the house. The caveat is that it runs on your internet so if that goes down your cell also goes down. Perils of living in a very rural/remote area. I figure if it's a local fluke then wife and I can run into town and buy a room at a hotel with internet for the day and expense it lol. If it's a major issue like weather related then I'm not working anyways since I'm tending the fire and making sure family is secure.

Sorry, long response. Wish you luck on your quest, we're in North Eastern Arizona (up on the Mogollon Rim). Beautiful country here if you decide to jump ship from crazy California.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hah! Mogollon Rim, Show-Lo, beautiful area. I’ve driven the length of the Military Road 300 several times and love the views. Always see Elk and other wild life. Forest fires have taken a toll on the Rd.300 scenery but I still love your choice. That is a big lifestyle change. Living in the mountains has its own type of struggles. You have a fine looking home, be very aware its location has special due diligence requirements, forest fires happen. IMHO, Do more than minimum recommended safe guards. May positive spirits of the First Nations people be with you. Cheers