Sponsored

Lifestyle question for those who wheel - best place to live?

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
My wife and I are discussing eastern Tennessee/ western North Carolina as our destination in a few years. Great motorcycling (street and dirt) lots of places to camp, lots of trails to wheel, you still have a change of seasons but nothing extreme (tired of the long ass Minnesota/Wisconsin winters) and cost of living isn’t awful.

Seems like everything we are looking for.
Tennessee has been trying to lure my business away from California to Johnson City Tennessee. We went on a recruitment trip and it's an amazing place. I'm certainly interested.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Last edited:

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase

BeachPilot74

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 2013 F-F150
Occupation
Airline Pilot
This is a great thread and right up the alley of what I am trying to figure out. I currently live in Key Largo FL, but I am trying to find a small piece of property out west that I can build a cabin on and utilize during the best months of the year. Right now I am trying to find something just over the Front Range of CO. I need to be fairly close to a major airport since I am an airline pilot and have to commute to JFK to do all my flying. Ive been looking at property for the last 9 months.

I overnight in SLC all the time and I love that part of Utah. Close to Maob, etc etc. I am not familiar with any good wheeling and mountain passes roads in the SLC area. But sure would like to learn about them.

Right now I am looking all over CO. I plan on coming out this summer for 3-4 months and really explore the area to see what options I have. I am currently trying to stay within about 2.5 hours to Denver. And trying to find 3-5 acres that doesnt have some HOA up my ass about how I utilize the property and what I build on it.

Sponsored

baskiboat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Sting Gray
It is awesome that so many people love where they are at! We certainly don't need everyone in one spot. In a strange turn of events I've driven through many of the areas you all have highlighted in the last 48 hours. Here's my thoughts.

Northern Nevada is really nice. My wife will never move there but I would consider it.
SLC is too big for my taste.

Utah between SLC and Moab is frozen and barren. The rocks are beautiful but I'm not into long frozen winters.

Moab we know has amazing trails. It was not frozen. However, I've been there in June and no thanks.

South of Moab was amazingly beautiful until Monticello. I really liked this stretch, to visit.

Durango and all of southwest Colorado was covered in snow. I would say this area would have limited wheeling opportunities most of the winter but i dont know how long that lasts. I like snow wheeling but the mountains aee steep and the snow was deep. In my experience that is probably limiting

Northern New Mexico was also covered in snow and cleared up just North of Santa Fe.

I know this is a late January snapshot but hope it helps someone. For me, I hope to visit all these areas again at the right time of year, but I'm not ready to commit year round.

KJKWillys

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Granite Crystal Willys - 6 Speed Manual
If you could live anywhere in the US, and it was for wheeling opportunities, where would it be? I know there are a lot of travelers on here. Thought I would try this. I will look at suggestions, and compare them based on a few personal things, and also proximity to good motorcycle roads. For wheeling, I generally avoid "mudding", but will deal with mud when I have to (no choice in the midwest really). I am not planning for bigger than 37s...I like a challenge, but I am not extreme.

My ideal would be to have a few places within driving distance for weekends. I am honestly thinking about Arkansas because it's so central, it's cheap, and it has a bit of both bike and Jeep fun not so far away.
NOT Connecticut. ✔

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
My wife and I are discussing eastern Tennessee/ western North Carolina as our destination in a few years. Great motorcycling (street and dirt) lots of places to camp, lots of trails to wheel, you still have a change of seasons but nothing extreme (tired of the long ass Minnesota/Wisconsin winters) and cost of living isn’t awful.

Seems like everything we are looking for.
I have a couple friends who left here 4 years ago for Tennessee and are quite happy. They aren't wheelers, the motorcycle riding got them there. Now my friend has started offroading on two wheels. He doesn't understand we can't just have his bike and my Jeep on the same parts of the playground 😂

Sponsored

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Anywhere in Chile - you have mountains, desert and ocean until your heart contents :rock:
Something I had never considered. Perhaps for retirement, but I have a while before that time.

Deleted member 35398

This is a great thread and right up the alley of what I am trying to figure out. I currently live in Key Largo FL, but I am trying to find a small piece of property out west that I can build a cabin on and utilize during the best months of the year. Right now I am trying to find something just over the Front Range of CO. I need to be fairly close to a major airport since I am an airline pilot and have to commute to JFK to do all my flying. Ive been looking at property for the last 9 months.

I overnight in SLC all the time and I love that part of Utah. Close to Maob, etc etc. I am not familiar with any good wheeling and mountain passes roads in the SLC area. But sure would like to learn about them.

Right now I am looking all over CO. I plan on coming out this summer for 3-4 months and really explore the area to see what options I have. I am currently trying to stay within about 2.5 hours to Denver. And trying to find 3-5 acres that doesnt have some HOA up my ass about how I utilize the property and what I build on it.
Part of the problem.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Having moved here a short two years ago, I am finding Arizona to be wide open with many, many trails to explore.

That, in part, is one of the reasons I ended up with the JL instead of another full-size pickup.

I'm doing my best to take advantage of the exploration opportunities that abound here.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle question for those who wheel - best place to live? 06

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle question for those who wheel - best place to live? 20211023_135008

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle question for those who wheel - best place to live? 20211120_125249

Jeep Wrangler JL Lifestyle question for those who wheel - best place to live? IMG_20220129_124323
Sponsored