Sponsored

Lifestyle question for those who wheel - best place to live?

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
One thing I will say about Utah…the economy is strong (among the strongest right now), and the state is becoming more diverse all the time, while maintaining a fairly politically conservative government (you mentioned 2A, no issues here whatsoever).

But it’s getting expensive. When I moved back, I took a job in a rural community in the dead center of the state (I’m a primary care physician, so I can work almost anywhere). I bought a 3700sq foot home for $380k back then (2018).

I just moved back up to the Salt Lake City metro area, and sold that home in the rural for $640k. My home up here was a little smaller and cost me $810k.

Even 10yrs ago, this home would have been in the $300k range here.

So home prices are definitely a consideration. They’re predicted to only climb more for at least the next couple of years. We’re becoming California on the “cost of living” front. In fact, I can frequently find listings in Orange County California with similar square footage (Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, etc) for similar prices to some of the homes here now.
Graduate of the University of Utah (go Utes!), Utah is a gorgeous state nearly top to bottom. I've also lived in the Phoenix metro-area twice which is a different kind of beautiful. They seem to go through cycles of drastically increased cost of living followed by a dramatic drop in COL, but both places are getting very expensive in recent years. I look back at the current prices of the homes I sold in both places and see their "value" today, and it's crazy. I'm not a fan of TX, but the economy is good, the housing prices are affordable (well, they're climbing substantially as well - my home has nearly doubled in value in 5 years), no state tax which is important as far as net income goes. But for outdoors/Jeep-related activities, it isn't on the top of any list.

If money isn't a large consideration, then Utah or Colorado would be high on my list.
Sponsored

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Agree totally…CA is the best! Visited relatives there many times in the 60’s thru early 90’s. Nowhere better.
So sad what mindless politicians have done to the Golden State…
When I moved to California in 1972 it was great, it was the land of opportunity. Over the past two decades it has become an over regulated cesspool with very little opportunity.

I lived in California for 20 years; moved to Washington 5 years ago. Washington is a beautiful state, but I do miss California every day.

My suggestion: enjoy the bounty you have nearby.

To stop feeling negative, I’d start by turning off the media channels that thrive on spewing negativity 24/7. Once you do, you will find the world around us is not the evil place they make it out to be. Not even California.

Life’s too short.
I'm a bit too old to be persuaded by media propaganda but there are a lot of people in California that have been influenced by social media, the news etc., that are in a position to effect the policies and business opportunity in this state. Not just opportunities for myself, more importantly opportunities for my employees. This isn't a popularity contest, the OP is asking for advice for where to live and should probably know the good and the bad to make an informed decision.

I don't think California is evil, it's just very expensive and if the OP has to rely on running a business, way to over regulated which would make it very difficult to afford the time to enjoy all that California has to offer.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I don't hike, bike or motorcycle anymore @ 70, great stuff BTDT. Now, I am limited to vehicle back county site seeing and boondock camping. I put 67,000 miles on my last 4x4 RV in just 5 years roaming the West. I've towed a JLR 30K to 4x4 trail heads and my not a daily driver JLR has 20K on the odometer. All wheeling/exploring the West, Rocky Mountains and West. My preference and love has always been for cool Pine Forests , clear cold mountain lakes and streams in any High Country. I've found these areas in most Western states doing Jeeps Jamborees or annual Jeep Club events and exploring on my own in all the Western states.
In a few hundred mile radius of Placerville, Ca. you have an Ocean, High and low Deserts and 10,000 + foot mountains for what ever outdoor hobbies you dream.

Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
For wheeling I’d go with either CO, AZ, UT, or ID. Other things can be dependent on cost of living and where. I moved to AZ from TX two years ago and absolutely amazed at how many open trails and all the wheeling out here. So many different types of terrain. I absolutely love CO and UT for wheeling also. Same thing. So many different options.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
4 CORNERS

Closest small towns; Durango CO, Flagstaff, AZ, Moab UT, Taos, NM
I loved living in Flagstaff AZ which kept me close to the best offroad and mtn biking areas in the 4 corner states. I don't like desert offroading so never go to Southern AZ plus big cities are more of a negative than positive.

So after visiting all the best places like Breckenridge, Quray, Telluride, Park City, Zions, Moab, Sedona and the GC North Rim for 10 years I would choose to live in Durango, CO. This would get me closer to more trails throughout Colorado and Utah. Plus there are several mtn bike parks close by (Purgatory & MtnVillage.CO, Angel Fire.NM, Sun Rise.AZ)

PS I would never give up living next to public lands. The pay to play obligations of living on the east coast and in Texas would seem to restrict the fun times a little. I see the jeepers paying offroad but do they also have to pay to mtn bike....i.e. is everything private property restricted?

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Assuming you need to earn an income as well, Denver is hard to beat for access AND job market.

I'm pretty biased, though.

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
I wouldn't move to Colorado. Growing too quickly. Can't understand why folks keep moving here 😁

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Well I have to say here in Arizona we have both-wheeling, and Motorcycling-we have plenty trails and of course California is not far to the Rubicon trail to see if the JLUR are really worth the name-and it is. About 580 miles to Moab and of course we have an easy ride to route 66. The best is the ride to Tombstone-enjoyable ride to in Jeep or Harley. Also lest not forget we have sand dunes.
Just got thru running trails all day outside of Tuscon. I definitely like a southern US area to avoid salt. I'd say anywhere within a day's drive of Moab would be good. Probably NOT within the state of Utah since I like Craft beer and not the kind the Mormons limit you to.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I had the best time of my life living in Chicago in my 20s and early 30s... having a Wrangler to drive over things would have made it even better... but Ioved my Accord.

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I was away for the weekend. Love seeing a bunch of posts. Basically, I am daydreaming....but at the same time, I may up and move. I work remote so not much holding me in a certain place. West would even be nice as I would start and end work earlier in the day.

Sorry, guys...but the real wheeling paradise is where I live - the great, wide-open state of Nevada. 87% of Nevada is public land so you can wheel whereever you please. Very few paved roads...if I leave my house and drive due south it is 133 miles to the first pavement. But dirt roads and tiny two-tracks are everywhere, leading to old ghost towns and mining camps and spectacular scenery everywhere. No crowds - it is not unusual for me to spend a whole day out there and never see another vehicle.
Had never considered Nevada...not sure why. Will take a peek.

My first impression after reading the title of this thread was what a waste of time. This is such a subjective choice, but it's turning out to be a great thread. Well done.
Glad you like! I am finding it pretty interesting.

I'll tell you one place not to live. The Chicagoland area. :D

I've never been out west, but it seems like anything west of Colorado is a good choice.
I'm in the twin cities in MN...I get it 😂

Assuming you need to earn an income as well, Denver is hard to beat for access AND job market.

I'm pretty biased, though.
Colorado has always been on my short list. The cost seems so high, but when I look a bit out of cities it isn't as horrible.

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I live in the Colorado Rockies half the year and the Mojave desert in California the other half. In between is Southern Utah, Nevada and a slice of northern Arizona. Wheeling is plentiful and I go wheelin a lot!
I grew up in Wisconsin, went west at a young age and love it. Quality of life is top priority and the western lifestyle is way better, even if it’s more expensive it’s worth it.
Sponsored