Sponsored

Lifestyle question for those who wheel - best place to live?

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
If you could live anywhere in the US, and it was for wheeling opportunities, where would it be? I know there are a lot of travelers on here. Thought I would try this. I will look at suggestions, and compare them based on a few personal things, and also proximity to good motorcycle roads. For wheeling, I generally avoid "mudding", but will deal with mud when I have to (no choice in the midwest really). I am not planning for bigger than 37s...I like a challenge, but I am not extreme.

My ideal would be to have a few places within driving distance for weekends. I am honestly thinking about Arkansas because it's so central, it's cheap, and it has a bit of both bike and Jeep fun not so far away.
Sponsored

IntrepidXJ

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventr.co
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
GIS Tech
Although I don’t really go out wheeling much anymore (mostly use my Jeep to get outdoors for hiking, backpacking and camping theses days), I did move to be closer to wheeling back in 2008. I ended up in Grand Junction, CO and it was one of the best decisions I ever made!

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Arkansas is nice, eastern Kentucky and Tenn are also great. I also love Colorado. I’m not into rock crawling though, I basically just enjoy exploring places that are only available via a Jeep or a bike. Rough roads, forest service trails etc. I’ve seen a lot of really cool places over the last 5 decades.

baskiboat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Sting Gray
I'm really interested in this thread. I do think it is a real subjective question. Do you value city life or do you prefer very remote areas?

I'm lucky because in Oregon we have sand, mountains, snow, mud, and high desert. That said, from my house to the border of Nevada, where I was this week is a six hour drive. While I love our terrain, the only place I've gone outside our state for wheeling is Moab. I'd like to learn more about opportunities around the country.

20220121_132138.jpg

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Well I have to say here in Arizona we have both-wheeling, and Motorcycling-we have plenty trails and of course California is not far to the Rubicon trail to see if the JLUR are really worth the name-and it is. About 580 miles to Moab and of course we have an easy ride to route 66. The best is the ride to Tombstone-enjoyable ride to in Jeep or Harley. Also lest not forget we have sand dunes.

Sponsored

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
San Diego, California. There’s good off-roading about an hours drive. Mountain or desert. Went down Sidewinder Trail at the Corral Canyon OHV yesterday and had a blast. The weather here’s perfect. Motorcycle riding is excellent in the mountains and canyons, mind-blowing if you’re from an area like the Midwest where streets and cities are grid patterns. I have lived many states across the US. Outdoors life in general has proven to be world class. Yes there are places that someone could say are better in one specific category. But for the best place to live and have all the options to do whatever and whenever? San Diego all the way. There is no contest.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I grew up in Salt Lake City, Utah. I’ve lived in Phoenix, Portland, and Boston.

I’m just barely getting back into wheeling, but I ride a TON of mountain bike, and the terrain overlaps quite a bit. I also enjoy fly fishing, and some of the best spots are a ways off the beaten path, and are best accessed with a 4x4 (usually any 4wheel drive can get in, Jeep can make it without breaking a sweat).

In my opinion, there’s no place that beats Utah for outdoorsy stuff, wheeling included. Moab is like a Mecca. It’s 3hrs from my house right now. I’d live there, but it’s fairly isolated from the rest of the state, and housing is quite pricy. It’s hard to find work that can support the cost of the real estate there.

So I live in the metro area, and drive down to Moab once or twice a month.

But we also have plenty of wheeling up here in the high mountains, and it’s a reasonable trip to Vegas, LA, SF, Reno, AZ, CO, Idaho, Wyoming, New Mexico etc. all places with good wheeling and plenty of other stuff to keep the family busy. I can probably get to the Rubicon trail in about 9 hours. I recognize that for some folks (New Englanders in particular) that doesn’t sound close. But out west, there’s so much open empty country that you have to cross to get from place to place that 9hours is a reasonable weekend trip for plenty of people. We’re used to needing to drive a bit to get someplace.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Interesting thought exercise that got me looking at the map for a bit. Arkansas is a pretty state for sure but if wheeling were my only consideration, I'd go further West. I'm not a fan of mud either and it seems the Eastern part of Texas is where that starts.

Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico are beautiful, Moab is on my short list. I haven't been yet but it looks amazing. California has lots of wheeling opportunities too. Northern California and on up into Oregon and Washington get alot of rain so I'd expect the mud to come along with it.

I'd probably be eyeballing Utah to stay central to the South West quarter of the country.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
For wheeling and biking it is difficult to beat Utah. There is a mud season up north especially in the spring, the perfect time to go south. Moab and southern Utah is not just for rock crawlers, in fact we have enjoyed our TJ Sahara and JKUR off road many times though we are not rock crawlers.

More broadly, the vast western public BLM, USFS, and park lands offer significantly more opportunities for outdoor adventure—

Sponsored

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I'm really interested in this thread. I do think it is a real subjective question. Do you value city life or do you prefer very remote areas?
I think I am getting to where a 30ish minute drive to the chain sores is not an issue. If I need basics and can get them close to home for a bit more cost, not a problem.

San Diego, California. There’s good off-roading about an hours drive. Mountain or desert. Went down Sidewinder Trail at the Corral Canyon OHV yesterday and had a blast. The weather here’s perfect. Motorcycle riding is excellent in the mountains and canyons, mind-blowing if you’re from an area like the Midwest where streets and cities are grid patterns. I have lived many states across the US. Outdoors life in general has proven to be world class. Yes there are places that someone could say are better in one specific category. But for the best place to live and have all the options to do whatever and whenever? San Diego all the way. There is no contest.
As much I I enjoyed JV...Cali in general is out of the question for me. Cost, and...well, 2A.

I grew up in Salt Lake City, Utah. I’ve lived in Phoenix, Portland, and Boston.

I’m just barely getting back into wheeling, but I ride a TON of mountain bike, and the terrain overlaps quite a bit. I also enjoy fly fishing, and some of the best spots are a ways off the beaten path, and are best accessed with a 4x4 (usually any 4wheel drive can get in, Jeep can make it without breaking a sweat).

In my opinion, there’s no place that beats Utah for outdoorsy stuff, wheeling included. Moab is like a Mecca. It’s 3hrs from my house right now. I’d live there, but it’s fairly isolated from the rest of the state, and housing is quite pricy. It’s hard to find work that can support the cost of the real estate there.

So I live in the metro area, and drive down to Moab once or twice a month.

But we also have plenty of wheeling up here in the high mountains, and it’s a reasonable trip to Vegas, LA, SF, Reno, AZ, CO, Idaho, Wyoming, New Mexico etc. all places with good wheeling and plenty of other stuff to keep the family busy. I can probably get to the Rubicon trail in about 9 hours. I recognize that for some folks (New Englanders in particular) that doesn’t sound close. But out west, there’s so much open empty country that you have to cross to get from place to place that 9hours is a reasonable weekend trip for plenty of people. We’re used to needing to drive a bit to get someplace.
Utah is for sure4 on my radar. Or, close enough for a long weekend to Utah.

Interesting thought exercise that got me looking at the map for a bit. Arkansas is a pretty state for sure but if wheeling were my only consideration, I'd go further West. I'm not a fan of mud either and it seems the Eastern part of Texas is where that starts.

Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico are beautiful, Moab is on my short list. I haven't been yet but it looks amazing. California has lots of wheeling opportunities too. Northern California and on up into Oregon and Washington get alot of rain so I'd expect the mud to come along with it.

I'd probably be eyeballing Utah to stay central to the South West quarter of the country.
I think that's my issue...looking at the map too much. SE has amazing motorcycle roads. SW seems to be the wheeling trump card. I also want to enjoy...well, day to day life.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Texas is obviously the greatest state in the Union, for an endless array of reasons...

...but don't move here if you want to wheel.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I’m currently in Eastern NC. Been here since 97. I’m planning on relocating out west in the next 3-4 years, maybe sooner. Working on a few career moves before I pack up here. Utah is on my short list and is my #1 candidate. I plan on making a few more trips out there over the next few years to get a lay of the landscape and try to nail down an area I might like to call “home.” Also going to check out Western CO, Grand Junction area. But so far Utah is checking all my personal boxes.

Reactions: DGT

Bohica

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Although I don’t really go out wheeling much anymore (mostly use my Jeep to get outdoors for hiking, backpacking and camping theses days), I did move to be closer to wheeling back in 2008. I ended up in Grand Junction, CO and it was one of the best decisions I ever made!
I've been following Randy for years and I recommend you check out his website...it will inspire you to get out and really explore our great country!

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
One thing I will say about Utah…the economy is strong (among the strongest right now), and the state is becoming more diverse all the time, while maintaining a fairly politically conservative government (you mentioned 2A, no issues here whatsoever).

But it’s getting expensive. When I moved back, I took a job in a rural community in the dead center of the state (I’m a primary care physician, so I can work almost anywhere). I bought a 3700sq foot home for $380k back then (2018).

I just moved back up to the Salt Lake City metro area, and sold that home in the rural for $640k. My home up here was a little smaller and cost me $810k.

Even 10yrs ago, this home would have been in the $300k range here.

So home prices are definitely a consideration. They’re predicted to only climb more for at least the next couple of years. We’re becoming California on the “cost of living” front. In fact, I can frequently find listings in Orange County California with similar square footage (Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, etc) for similar prices to some of the homes here now.
Sponsored