Sponsored

Lifelong wrangler driver. Considering jumping ship...

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Damn - this PSC Steering kit lists for $2,334. If you only needed it for 37-40 inch tires, I guess I could accept it as part of the cost of going big. There are other things you need to upgrade to run tires that are bigger and heavier than what came from the factory. But its not okay if people need to buy an upgraded steering kit as a fix for death wobble for a stock vehicle. I would argue further that you should not have to upgrade steering components if you are running 35s on a Rubicon - since Jeep has essentially given their approval for this tire size. It is unacceptable to have death wobble on a stock vehicle - especially one that costs around $50K. Wranglers should be coming from the factory with something like the Synergy tie rod and drag link; and it would be nice to see better ball joints too.

There is a TSB from Jeep with regard to various steering issues that calls for updating the front track bar. Anyone with funky steering should check it out and get the dealer to address it:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/up...re-jl-steering-issues-wobble-loose-wandering/

If you've got funky steering, but want to keep the Jeep, maybe do the following:
1. Work with the dealer on the TSB. Hopefully, this resolves the problem at no cost.
2. Replace the front drag link and tie rod with Synergy parts (or some other manufacturer). The Synergy kit is $700
https://www.synergymfg.com/jeep-jl/steering/
3. As a last resort, I guess you consider the PSC kit, but at $2,334, that is damn hard to justify if you aren't running 40s.

Check out some of my posts on what I have done to my Jeep to resolve the problem, not to mention what Jeep has replaced on my Jeep. I have replaced every steering component. Try taking your Jeep back to the dealer with Steer Smarts or Synergy components on it, I would like to hear what they tell you. Replaced 2 steering box`s from Jeep. I wasn`t running 40`s so I would not opt for the ram assist. I have driven a Jeep before and after the PSC kit was installed, It drove like my JK with 35`s on it, One finger on the wheel and no wandering or dead spot, not as nice as my Grand Cherokee but that`s not apples to apples. And all the steering issues were without any lift and running the factory wheels and BFG tires. Steer Smarts or Synergy put in the bid to do the some of the Wrangler steering components, but they lost out to a lower overseas bidder
Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma, 1997 Tacoma, previous: 1978 Jeep CJ7, 1975 FJ-40, 2008 Audi RS4
Hey Rich,
1. So in your experience it was the PSC kit that made the difference - not replacing any of the other components?
2. Was Jeep replacing parts for you under warranty?
Thanks!

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Are sport s models with no mods suffering from death wooble? Or is the percentage much less? Do bigger tires make death wooble more likely? I ask because this site owners 80% own rubis with big lifts and 35+ tires. I would love to know what are people running with deathwooble problems.
2019 JLU Sport S. 2.5 inch Rock Crawler X-Factor lift running 35's (all installed at 660 miles from new). Got the death wobbles bad starting two weeks ago (8800 miles on Jeep) when the temp dropped into the 30's. Real death wobbles, not steering shimmies, had to stop Jeep every time to get it to stop. Replaced drag link and tie-rod with Synergy because factory joints on both parts were flopping around like wet noodles, also added Synergy track bar frame-mount reinforcement with sector shaft reinforcement. Took every suspension component out of front end and inspected for loose or damaged bushings/joints, cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled everything and properly torqued. Made a small track bar adjustment (RK adjustable track bar) to re-center my axle after adding heavy rear bumper which caused front to ride lighter. Drove for two days in 40ish weather with no problems. Today 34 degrees on the way to work death wobble reappeared, not as bad and at a different speed (55 v 45), only required speed reduction to 45 to get it to stop. So that's my death wobble story, or at least the beginning of it. I think adding lifts and bigger tires can certainly contribute to getting death wobble but most aftermarket quality parts for suspension and steering are designed with this in mind and to help prevent it. I have very high quality components installed, and everything was just fine for over 8k miles and well maintained. I don't think it's my lift, wheels or tires (although I did have wheels/tires re-balanced just to make sure) It should also be noted that the lady who started the whole lawsuit against FCA for Jeep "death wobbles" drove a stock Wrangler from everything I have read. I am now going to do a test to check my ball-joints, just found out the factory ones are plastic on plastic inside (whatever expletive people just yelled out, yea I agree). This gem from Dana: "Dana Aftermarket is pleased to announce our new Ball Joint Kit offering for the Jeep Wrangler JL or Gladiator JT. Replacing the OE plastic-on-plastic design, these Genuine Spicer® ball joints are a metal-on-metal design and include a grease zerk for extended life and serviceability. Our new Ball Joint Kit includes one upper and one lower ball joint, nuts, and cotter pins: everything needed to service the front left or front right of your Jeep Wrangler JL or Gladiator JT. For peace of mind off-road and ideal for use with larger wheels and tires, Genuine Spicer® ball joints deliver on quality and performance.".

Streetrodder

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Steering is not my problem any more! Just wanna jump in and let ya’ll know. I purchased 2020 JLUR put 10 miles on it and it was the worst vehicle I’ve ever purchased in my life, all over the road, I even had a sheriff stop me to see if I had been drinking. I went back to the the dealer “Wallace Jeep Ram, in Stuart Fl.“ Their answer was “what do you want from us we dont manufacture them!” Then the Sales manager said I could trade it back in on a Ram or another Jeep and I would lose $2500, plus I would have to pay the $799 dealer and additional filing fee again! Then he tells me another option is that after 3 service appointments you can file under the Lemon Law. What a bunch of BS! I’ve owned so many Jeeps in the past 30 years I can’t begin to count them. The last before this disaster was a 2016 JK 4” MOPAR lift with 35’s and it drove better than this POS that had an MSRP of $54K. After a few days of cooling off, and not going back to the Jeep Dealer to do something stupid, I went Christmas shopping Saturday and bought a 2020 RAPTOR Crew Cab! WOW, best deal out there and the most BAD ASS for your money. Try one of them before you plunk down your hard earned $ on a JLUNK. They come standard with Steel Bumpers, Twin Turbo 6Cyl 450hp, 10 speed automatic, fox shocks just to name a few things. I’m getting 16 around town 20 on trip back 150 miles. So I say, good by to all of my Jeep friends, and wish you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Healthy New Year! Times like money, “It doesn’t matter how much you have left, it’s how you spend it”

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Glad that you are happy with your new vehicle, and even happier you will no longer grace this Forum with your presence...

Last edited:

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Steering is not my problem any more! Just wanna jump in and let ya’ll know. I purchased 2020 JLUR put 10 miles on it and it was the worst vehicle I’ve ever purchased in my life, all over the road, I even had a sheriff stop me to see if I had been drinking. I went back to the the dealer “Wallace Jeep Ram, in Stuart Fl.“ Their answer was “what do you want from us we dont manufacture them!” Then the Sales manager said I could trade it back in on a Ram or another Jeep and I would lose $2500, plus I would have to pay the $799 dealer and additional filing fee again! Then he tells me another option is that after 3 service appointments you can file under the Lemon Law. What a bunch of BS! I’ve owned so many Jeeps in the past 30 years I can’t begin to count them. The last before this disaster was a 2016 JK 4” MOPAR lift with 35’s and it drove better than this POS that had an MSRP of $54K. After a few days of cooling off, and not going back to the Jeep Dealer to do something stupid, I went Christmas shopping Saturday and bought a 2020 RAPTOR Crew Cab! WOW, best deal out there and the most BAD ASS for your money. Try one of them before you plunk down your hard earned $ on a JLUNK. They come standard with Steel Bumpers, Twin Turbo 6Cyl 450hp, 10 speed automatic, fox shocks just to name a few things. I’m getting 16 around town 20 on trip back 150 miles. So I say, good by to all of my Jeep friends, and wish you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Healthy New Year! Times like money, “It doesn’t matter how much you have left, it’s how you spend it”
So you purchased a vehicle before even test driving it, then go raging on a Jeep forum about how shitty of an experience it was?

#FloridaMan

/endthread

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I made a comment about Mercedes in the U.K. and I stand by it...

B2DF6F04-03D1-4529-BB11-4757C6FD5FA0.jpeg
In the USA, M-Benz quality sucks too. A few years ago they didn't even make the top 10 happy owner surveys for J.D. Powers !!
Everyone I've owned (company cars) have had rattles, squeaks, warranty repairs (once the wiper fluid reservoir split on the casting seam and had to be totally replaced), drive shaft out of balance on the the E-class, and numerous other problems.

Long live the Brits!

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Then he tells me another option is that after 3 service appointments you can file under the Lemon Law. What a bunch of BS! I’ve owned so many Jeeps in the past 30 years I can’t begin to count them.
What was "BS" about that? You were given a reasonable solution that either would've fixed your issue or given you every penny back in return. Seems the issue is with an unreasonable costumer rather than FCA.

Sponsored

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
The only way that FCA will address the fundamental quality flaws is if all of us stop spending $60K and there sales suffer. But as long as people keep running around justifying as its a jeep thing, nothing will change.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
In the USA, M-Benz quality sucks too. A few years ago they didn't even make the top 10 happy owner surveys for J.D. Powers !!
Everyone I've owned (company cars) have had rattles, squeaks, warranty repairs (once the wiper fluid reservoir split on the casting seam and had to be totally replaced), drive shaft out of balance on the the E-class, and numerous other problems.

Long live the Brits!
I am surprised to see Peugeot (PSA) as number 1 in reliability. Fiat is at the very opposite end of the spectrum. Fiat is second from last as the most unreliable brand in the UK. Hopefully some of the PSA quality control rubs off on FCA after the merger.
Sponsored