First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
May be a weird question, but how long does the spare tire remain usable if it’s open to the elements (no cover) and never rotated in? I assume the rubber gets more brittle if it’s never flexed.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
May be a weird question, but how long does the spare tire remain usable if it’s open to the elements (no cover) and never rotated in? I assume the rubber gets more brittle if it’s never flexed.
This link says a full size spare can last from 7 to 10 years. I'd imagine it would be close to 7 years if it's out in the open and not a garaged vehicle and close to 10 years if it's garaged and has a cover, but???
https://magazine.northeast.aaa.com/...adside-services/how-long-do-spare-tires-last/

Reactions: DHW

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
It sounds like that article is referring to trunk or under mounted spares. I heard a while back that on trailers you generally only get 3-5 years (and 10k-15k) on a tire primarily due to UV rays breaking down the rubber.

I was planning to keep my spare out of rotation but after thinking on this probably not. Plus I want M/Ts next time :)

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It depends a bit. I live in the desert southwest and if you leave a vehicle outside here and drive an average amount of miles, your tires will probably need replacement due to UV damage and sidewall cracking before you wear the tread out. But rule of thumb for most places, 7 years is probably pretty close.

I like to do a 5-tire rotation and replace all 5 at the same time. But that's just me.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah with so many variables it probably just boils down to “keep an eye on it”. I was slightly in the 4 tire rotation camp but this is a good argument for the 5.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
My Jeep is in a parking deck more than not. Really only in the elements when its driven. I haven't rotated my tires myself yet. Do those of you that do put all four corners on jack stands or is there a simpler way?

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
My Jeep is in a parking deck more than not. Really only in the elements when its driven. I haven't rotated my tires myself yet. Do those of you that do put all four corners on jack stands or is there a simpler way?
If you do it this way then you can do one side at a time starting on the passenger side. If you don’t have 4 jack stands that is.

2023823C-EF0F-40E4-851D-BF336EBD0858.png

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Several ways, but look up and choose your preferred four or five-tire rotation pattern first. Lots of opinions and options on the subject in the forum already. Use jack stands in addition to any method.

Changing one at a time isn't too bad, but tiresome with a scissor jack. Cycle the jack unloaded the first time, they usually come with just a big blob of grease on one end from the factory. They sell fitted blocks that go underneath the jack that would make the job easier.

Since you've no space to keep a floor jack, a bottle jack with a U-shaped adapter to lift off the axle is a good option. Without the adapter, you could lift from the frame, but you'll need some wood underneath for getting it high enough, since the suspension will droop.

They make 12V electric ones too, and wacky Frankensteined bottle/jackstand amalgamations that some folks swear by.

My rotation pattern lets me do both on one side at a time, but the order of operations for me meant I still did five tires, one corner at a time.

Some people lift from the pumpkin, which lets you get jack stands under the axle more easily.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
If you do it this way then you can do one side at a time starting on the passenger side. If you don’t have 4 jack stands that is.

Jeep Wrangler JL Life span of spare tire? 2023823C-EF0F-40E4-851D-BF336EBD0858
I use this pattern too. Too tilty with stands under the frame. I'll get them under the axles next time.

Remember to break the lugs loose before getting the tire in the air!

Sponsored

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
wacky Frankensteined bottle/jackstand amalgamations that some folks swear by.
Yea, I had the Powerbuilt 6klb jack/stand and the jack started losing pressure the second time I used it. Good idea, but reliability and build quality is an issue. I think I'm just gonna get a bottle jack and follow the diagram above, one corner at a time.

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I don't think the rotation pattern you use matters as much as using the same one every time just to make sure each tire spends about the same amount of time on the ground.

I put the spare on the right front then work around in a U, right rear, left rear, left front. That way I only have to jack it up 3 times instead of 4. I lift the rear at the pumpkin and can do both rear tires with one lift. I know it's not the conventional pattern but as long as I do it the same way every time they all get equal wear.

Honestly, wearing out a set of tires seems like wishful thinking to me most of the time. The last few sets of tires I've had to buy were all because of damage. Nails and screws mostly.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I don't think the rotation pattern you use matters as much as using the same one every time just to make sure each tire spends about the same amount of time on the ground.

I put the spare on the right front then work around in a U, right rear, left rear, left front. That way I only have to jack it up 3 times instead of 4. I lift the rear at the pumpkin and can do both rear tires with one lift. I know it's not the conventional pattern but as long as I do it the same way every time they all get equal wear.

Honestly, wearing out a set of tires seems like wishful thinking to me most of the time. The last few sets of tires I've had to buy were all because of damage. Nails and screws mostly.
I agree with you. Use whatever direction you prefer as long as each tire hits all corners and they all spend the same amount of time on the ground. I know people that literally just go in a circle lol. And that’s probably the easiest to remember and 100% okay.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

2023823C-EF0F-40E4-851D-BF336EBD0858.png
This was the pattern I followed with the one rotation I did on my first set of tires. I read something about drive wheels needing to “rest” going in the same direction before being used as a drive tire in the opposite rotation direction. Don’t ask me - science.

With the new set I was planning on doing a 4 tire but this thread changed my mind. I’m right around 5000 miles on this set so a rotation is due and will give me a project this evening.

For those without a garage this may be an alternative to a jack and stand, I keep it in my tool tub in the back. I used it on a trail when I cut a sidewall.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003ULZGFU?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
For those without a garage this may be an alternative to a jack and stand, I keep it in my tool tub in the back. I used it on a trail when I cut a sidewall.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003ULZGFU?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
I'd keep an eye on that. Mentioned it earlier, but I had the 6000lb version and it started losing pressure and slowly dropping the second time I used it. The welds at the base started to come apart as well. Luckily Amazon took it back well after the return period.
Sponsored