Sponsored

License Plate mount for Winch Bumper with Hawse fairlead?

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
hey, Winch-heads,...

what's the best solution for mounting a front license plate on a bumper that has a Hawse fairlead? anyone found anything they especially like (or especially don't)?
i've looked around a bit and found a few listings and mentions, but am curious to hear what might be the best current solution. please share!
Sponsored

Flanman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from computer sales
I have the Fishbone and it does its job.
Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate mount for Winch Bumper with Hawse fairlead? 598E7C55-A86A-47AD-82FC-B90ABD4100C3

Sponsored

CM⛰

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal
Tuffy works great!

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
Thanks for posting this pic! I want to mount to the fairlead, but have the license plate below (cover an obnoxious brand logo on an aftermarket bumper), and wasn't entirely sure if I could easily modify one of these brackets to work as such without some custom fabrication. Looks like the Tuffy will work perfectly for my intent!

You saved me some potential trial and error for sure!

Reactions: aro

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Thats interesting how you mounted it underneath. I looked at it and options, but I have the Warn shackle and its super thick so the cover won't flip down on it. I could put the shackle to the side on recovery points, but don't think it looks clean.

I agree with all the above and the only other one I found was Cascadua, but pricey.
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ia-4x4-flip-up-flip-down-license-plate-mount?

Sponsored

Z&KOJL

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I was going to mount mine with the above mentioned flip up brackets but ended up mounting it to the lower skid plate that hangs below the bumper. It’s not the most visible thing but I haven’t been hassled for it yet.
Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate mount for Winch Bumper with Hawse fairlead? A52F6519-AC93-48B9-B947-D73C947270FC

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't gotten the winch yet, to go along with the Factor55 Ultrahook and fairlead that's been sitting in the cargo area. But I am ready for it, by mounting my front plate with the Maximus-3 Stealth plate bracket.

Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate mount for Winch Bumper with Hawse fairlead? 20210128_132835_resized

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
well, this thread seemed to die immediately after some Mod moved it out of the General Forum. seemed to me this was more about License Plates, than winches...

thanks to all that shared their solutions; in summary, i see:
Fishbone
Tuffy (x2)
Cascadia
Sto N Sho

Sto N Sho is off my list for a couple of reasons. first, i don't want to have to store the license plate somewhere, and secondly, i'm not likely to deal well with with fiddly little retaining pins in general (especially if in the inevitably cold/wet/muddy recovery situation).

the Tuffys (both versions) seem to be the most cost-effective, but it looks like i might have to do some mods to one to get it to fit over the fat-ass UltraHook. also, it seems like they might not flip as far up out of the way as some of the other choices. but then again, they are the least expensive,...

the Fishbone and the Cascadia are the 2 most expensive, but both seem to do a fair job of getting the plate up and out of the way. i'm not sure yet why the Cascadia is almost twice what the Fishbone is, and am hesitant to spend the extra money on something that is the first point of contact in some situations unless there's some good reason for it. it's also not clear from what i've found online if the Cascadia can be easily modified to fit over a cable-end as fat as the UltraHook, whereas it looks like the Fishbone might have an adjustable reach.
disappointingly, the only Cascadia model that looks interesting to me is the Flipster, which sadly has logoing on it that (IMO) looks stupid.

right now, it looks like the Fishbone is winning for me.

i've got a little more research to do before i make my decisions, but these helped.
thanks again, for sharing your experiences!