00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Still investigating:
Ive heard that the JL tail lights have an issue for off road as well with branched snapping them off.
Does the JK license plate bracked have that issue, off road or perhape in tight parking spaces?
Back when I had my JKUR, a common complaint was that the license plate bracket location caused it to hang on branches and such and therefore getting damage or breaking off. Many were relocating their plate to the spare or the spare-delete plate. I don't have firsthand experience with that type of damage but I was pleased to see the new bumper location... much better protection and more sensible IMO.
Sponsored

OP
OP

lskceo4

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep Jl Unlimited Sport
If you move the plate to the JK position and want to keep the factory bumper, you'll be left with an empty plate bracket that's lit up at night. I've yet to see any blank out panels out there that would clean it back up.
There are lots of plates for every state, Grand Canyon, Texas Star etc. or just rerout the light power to the new location.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I used some really strong rare earth magnets covered in electrical tape, put those on, put some 3M auto body double sided tape on those, used the 3M activator, and it holds fantastic. I also put on some of those small led license plate bolt lights and just tapped them into the factory license plate wiring.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Headbarcode I planned on relocating the wiring for the light as well to illimate the plate just as the JK.
Firemadz I like the looks and the plate screws don't seam to grip the bumper well.

Still investigating:
Ive heard that the JL tail lights have an issue for off road as well with branched snapping them off.
Does the JK license plate bracked have that issue, off road or perhape in tight parking spaces?
Yes the taillights are vulnerable.

I had to remove them to install taillight guards from rugged ridge. They are only held in place by a spring loaded plastic bolt.

Almost as if they were made to take a hit though.

I know Jeep made the fender flares to easily pop off if hit off road. I wonder if the same was done to the taillights?

The engineer said it's easier and less expensive to replace a flare or taillight instead of an entire quarter panel. True of you think about it.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have the LOD plate bracket but a Rugged Ridge rear bumper. I'm fabricating a magnet setup Tuesday at work and will mount it then. Magnets are 100lb each and this will not move when mounted. I'll post pics Wednesday.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
We put on a very low profile rear bumper and searched and searched but there is no where to put the plate and keep it out of the way other than the spare tire. If you mount it like the JK and TJs had it really sticks out far and is begging to get clipped on the trails. If you make a bracket and stand it up on top of the bumper under the brake light you pretty much get the same crappy results and you will bang it most likely going in and out of the back of the Jeep.
We bought the RC spare tire mount because it was the cheapest and the reality is it's a couple of metal brackets. I customized it to make it really close up against the tire and as easy as possible to remove. Fair warning, wiring in the LED light to mount above it is a real pita. Need to take tailgate trim off (and we have the table on the gate so that sucked) and then pop the rear side panel trim to run the wire over to tap the brake light harness. It sucked and then on top of that the LED burned out immediately which thankfully they supplied a second one which I have yet to replace.

Biocruiser

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
I installed the LOD license plate bracket with my Smittybilt rear bumper. The shop had put the plate on the spare tire - we hated the look. The LOD comes with a mounting bracket, but to make it fit I had to purchase a standard corner brace and widen the holes a bit to get it to fit. It came out great and we like the look much better. For lighting, I simply wired to the 4-wire trailer plug which was simple.

m0kLExWSRYSL+u9XPv4fPg.jpg
Vp0lC8gOTHK2Ah2hR%qlGQ.jpg
fullsizeoutput_278a.jpeg

6TnF1RbSQRWbaxrM19lcDQ.jpg

Cosmosfl

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I installed the LOD license plate bracket with my Smittybilt rear bumper. The shop had put the plate on the spare tire - we hated the look. The LOD comes with a mounting bracket, but to make it fit I had to purchase a standard corner brace and widen the holes a bit to get it to fit. It came out great and we like the look much better. For lighting, I simply wired to the 4-wire trailer plug which was simple.

m0kLExWSRYSL+u9XPv4fPg.jpg
Vp0lC8gOTHK2Ah2hR%qlGQ.jpg
fullsizeoutput_278a.jpeg

6TnF1RbSQRWbaxrM19lcDQ.jpg
Thanks for the great info. this is the bumper we want to purchase. Can you share more info on the "standard corner brace" you added. Where did you purchase it? thanks!

Biocruiser

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Actually my brother-in-law had the corner brace in his shop. It was similar to this one from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hardwar...Plated-Corner-Brace-5-Pack-851129-0/203809826

What I did was to first purchase the LOD license plate kit, put it together with the mount bracket that they provided, and placed it on my bumper. I then measured underneath the bumper to see what brace I needed. It just so happened that my brother-in-law had the brace I needed, but I needed to widen hole on the corner brace and also drill an extra hole in the LOD mount bracket.

Take a look at the LOD instructions here to get a better idea how it fits.
https://lodoffroad.com/assets/pdfs/JLP1800INS.pdf

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 3.14.50 PM.png

ShereKahn

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-door Rubicon
That’s how the JKs were mounted. I’ve not seen a kit to mount on a JL like that.
LoD has one, because their bumper is angled at the place where the JL bumper mounts the plate.
Sponsored