Sponsored

Level 2 Charger Install

GoldenKnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 HA 4xe
What have you guys being paying to have level 2 chargers installed in your garages? I did a Qmerit quote as it was easy, but it was more than I expected. I'll call some local electricians as well to see how it stacks up. They supposedly deal with people who specialize in EV stuff so they might be the best option anyways?

Of course our electric panel is on the totally opposite side of our home from the garage.

Jeep Wrangler JL Level 2 Charger Install Screenshot_20210726-114534_Gmail
Sponsored

whenasked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4XE
What have you guys being paying to have level 2 chargers installed in your garages? I did a Qmerit quote as it was easy, but it was more than I expected. I'll call some local electricians as well to see how it stacks up. They supposedly deal with people who specialize in EV stuff so they might be the best option anyways?

Of course our electric panel is on the totally opposite side of our home from the garage.

If your basement is unfinished or has a drop ceiling, it will be easy for an electrician to add a 50A circuit and run a line to have NEMA 14-50 in the garage. I paid $80/hr and it took 4 hours. I installed Grizzl-e myself later.

Thanks

OP
OP
GoldenKnight

GoldenKnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 HA 4xe
If your basement is unfinished or has a drop ceiling, it will be easy for an electrician to add a 50A circuit and run a line to have NEMA 14-50 in the garage. I paid $80/hr and it took 4 hours. I installed Grizzl-e myself later.

Thanks
Yes, it's unfinished. It'll be a decently long run, but should be pretty easy to do. Probably 50' as the crow flies to the opposite wall of the garage, so longer once it's properly run. I figured it as a 3-4 hour job, so even at a high end of $150hr plus materials I kinda thought it'd be under $1k. Of course I'm not too familiar with how much the materials would be, but I'm thinking not $800+ for wire and a circuit lol

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Yes, it's unfinished. It'll be a decently long run, but should be pretty easy to do. Probably 50' as the crow flies to the opposite wall of the garage, so longer once it's properly run. I figured it as a 3-4 hour job, so even at a high end of $150hr plus materials I kinda thought it'd be under $1k. Of course I'm not too familiar with how much the materials would be, but I'm thinking not $800+ for wire and a circuit lol
Make sure you have the "spare" space in your panel. 240V takes two adjacent slots.

Sponsored

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
In Socal I got a few quotes off yelp and then talked to them. Cost $400. Only had to run about 6 feet of cable, add the breaker and install the charger.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Keep in mind there is currently a federal incentive that will give you a tax credit of 2/3 the cost of your install up to 1000 dollars. I believe this also covers the cost of the charger in addition to labor.

OP
OP
GoldenKnight

GoldenKnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 HA 4xe
Keep in mind there is currently a federal incentive that will give you a tax credit of 2/3 the cost of your install up to 1000 dollars. I believe this also covers the cost of the charger in addition to labor.
I thought it was equipment only. Maybe that was my state 'rebate' though.

Just looked...30% fed rebate up to $1,000 in charger and labor.

Not exactly sure if that's up to $1,000 rebate(so $3,500 job basically), or a maximum of 30% of $1,000. I think it's up to $1k back though.

Stitchedupseats

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe, gladiator
I paid 700 ish about 3 years ago. 50amp circuit with appropriate sized wire more 100 feet to breaker box. Had them put a nema plug so I could use welder or charger. Mounted charger on wall. 1800$ seems like highway robbery….

the Siemens charger I have was 350 then, it’s almost 800 on Amazon today. Crazy times.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GoldenKnight

GoldenKnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 HA 4xe
I paid 700 ish about 3 years ago. 50amp circuit with appropriate sized wire more 100 feet to breaker box. Had them put a nema plug so I could use welder or charger. Mounted charger on wall. 1800$ seems like highway robbery….

the Siemens charger I have was 350 then, it’s almost 800 on Amazon today. Crazy times.
That's more in line with what I was thinking. Although 100' of copper wire has probably gone up 400% in the last 3 years...BUT COVID lol

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe

That's the exact number they quoted me as well. That is outlandish and will either do it myself or pay a local electrician to do it.

RNLROCK

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4XE Sahara
My electrician took about 6 hours to run a dedicated 60 amp line. He charged $700 for labor and material and installed the ChargePoint in that price.

It was an easy run since the basement is unfinished with approximately 30 feet of Romex used.

Skades 89

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I have about the same run…mine is 45 feet unfinished basement, opposite end of the house. I had 2 bids from Qmerit one was $1500 and the other was $2000. I’m going to check out some local electricians.
Sponsored