Sponsored

Level 2 Charger - Click on/off at full charge

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
Often times when my 4xe reaches full charge it will click the charging process on and off every few seconds. This can go on for 30 minutes, and then it will eventually stop charging with 100% charge. This is on a clipper creek level 2 charger (same one Jeep co-brands). I know Chris Hall posted a similar video at some point, I'm wondering if others have seen this behavior. I've attached a video of it happening. This can't be good for the charger or the jeep. Seems like the Jeep gets confused around a certain threshold of whether it should be calling for a charge or not. Dealer of course has no idea.
Sponsored

Attachments

Black96z

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Machinist, Applications Engineer
My CC EVSE does this too as it approaches a full charge. I think its while its balancing the pack.

OP
OP

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
My CC EVSE does this too as it approaches a full charge. I think its while its balancing the pack.
Yea, that's what it seems; though that's not how these cars are supposed to work. This is my 3rd EV; the other ones would just lower the amperage as they near 100% to the point that it's just a trickle charge at the end; but it shouldn't be turning the whole charge process on/off; it will wear out the contactors. This seems like a Jeep software glitch that will lead to premature wear in the vehicle and of the EVSE.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I don't see anything related in either manual.

The charger I use for my boat batteries over winter runs a "pulse mode" after a 10 hour 5 amp float period, varying between a 2.5 amp and 5 amp output to keep the stored battery between 95 and 100% full long term.

Not sure how that would be helpful in a short term situation on an EV with different battery chemistry.

OP
OP

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
@Chris Hall Chris, did you every figure out what was causing yours to exhibit this on/off behavior? You seem to get the root cause of a lot of the behavior we see in these 4xes.

Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was installed yesterday and since it has been installed it has been flashing blue/purple. Once I plug it in, these three things happened:

1. The Jeep did not charge
2. The charger blinking light changed to a blue only blinking light
3. The message in the Jeep was that there is an external issue

I have submitted a case with the support team. The one person I talked to did mention that they have been hearing of issues with some Jeep 4xe's. I'll let you know how this will be resolved and if I will recommend the product or not.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I'm curious if anyone having that issue has gotten the latest software updates installed and seen an improvement.

A charger turning off/on like that would be the vehicle's fault/responsibility.
Sponsored