dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
If the doors are also off, I get your point. But as someone already stated, for the sake of the alarm system, I would lock the jeep. The alarm doesn’t only lock the doors, it also fully disables critical components and activates security systems including a digital immobilizer, making hot-wiring the jeep practically impossible.
ok -gtk thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
If you live in the zip you state in your profile, loose the top, it never rains there, get a kill switch, and a man bag, cause your not going to ever leave crap of value in your jeep.

kill switch is a good idea, these things disappear a lot in LA.

Yeah, I never left anything of value in my last car.. living in la just can't do that.. also, kill switch? looks like I'm gonna go down a google rabbit hole. haha 😬

OP
OP
dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
Always lock your doors...Kids often try doors just to see if they are open, also in this day and age you might come back to your vehicle and find some homeless person has climbed in for a nap...

that's true.. lol - reminds me - about 20 years ago I got in my car to go to work and a homeless person had slept(?) in my car and put a TON of trash in it 😅 - just lucky they didn't use it as a bathroom... lol

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Do you keep anything of value in the storage compartment in the very back of your jeep? If so, then lock it. Because as long as your endgate is closed and locked then you cant open the hidden floor compartment.

OP
OP
dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
I have a hard top but I've spoken to a few soft top owners and they basically don't leave anything worth stealing and try to keep things locked up in the center console or glove compartment or not visible especially in areas of questionable feeling or reputation. Some don't lock their doors cause they'd rather not have someone rip the soft top to get in.

Depends on you honestly. Not sure how hot Wrangler doors are on the illegal parts market but I'd be more concerned about someone knocking off my doors if I didn't lock them. They are so easy and quick to remove even without power tools.

Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP
dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
Do you keep anything of value in the storage compartment in the very back of your jeep? If so, then lock it. Because as long as your endgate is closed and locked then you cant open the hidden floor compartment.
Awesome - I haven't gotten it yet - but I'm planning on getting the Slipstream security enclosure from Diabolical Inc.... so, If I need to - I'll keep stuff in there. Mostly I am thinking - if there's nothing in my jeep.. do I need to lock it? but from all the replies... I'm thinking yes.. If I want to keep the doors... lol

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Awesome - I haven't gotten it yet - but I'm planning on getting the Slipstream security enclosure from Diabolical Inc.... so, If I need to - I'll keep stuff in there. Mostly I am thinking - if there's nothing in my jeep.. do I need to lock it? but from all the replies... I'm thinking yes.. If I want to keep the doors... lol
I would lock it still. Mostly to keep the habit of doing it. But also because im not sure the alarm would go off if someone hit it when its unlocked.
And really if you wanted to you could just leave it running and unlocked and no ones gonna steal it because the key fob wont be in proximity for the jeep to allow itself to go into gear and move.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I would lock it still. Mostly to keep the habit of doing it. But also because im not sure the alarm would go off if someone hit it when its unlocked.
And really if you wanted to you could just leave it running and unlocked and no ones gonna steal it because the key fob wont be in proximity for the jeep to allow itself to go into gear and move.
Unless something has changed, I'm afraid this is wrong. The running jeep can be driven off without the fob with it. In fact, someone could enjoy your jeep on the other side of the country for years, just as long as they keep it fueled and never shut it down. They'd just have to get used to the "fob not in vehicle" message on the dash.

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
I have a soft top and I typically always lock mine even with the top down, even though there's virtually nothing visible and nothing of value in the Jeep.

I also have the Slipstream and I love it. It's good to get in the habit of locking your Jeep then you don't even have to think about it when you do have something of value in the Slipstream enclosure.

Sponsored

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Speaking from some experience... We have had two vehicles (my Jeep and 4Runner TRD) broken into as my wife and kids did NOT lock the cars in our driveway each time, they did however lock the glove boxes and center consoles. Each time young thieves who do "door checks" in the early hours got in and took anything they could nab, the locked glove box and center console were ripped open (easy to do and a $200 fix, not to mention what was taken) and I had to pay to get these repaired both times. Above door checkers, real thieves will either take the entire vehicle, or get in regardless. Locked doors are a deterrent from the "door checkers".

**hardtop JLUR - Bestop Sunrider**

Lessons Learned:
  • Lock your doors, it will prevent common thieves/door checkers.
  • Don't put anything of value in the vehicle, and worse, in plain sight, unless you are in it.
  • Remove garage door openers, some are built in (Home Link etc.) and will work even when vehicle is off (Jeeps need to be on). I have seen kids get brave and come back to open a garage door or worse. Leads to bad things...

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have heard people say if they have a soft top they don't lock their doors because they'd rather just have thief open the door and take stuff than knife the soft top and damage the entire thing.
I used to leave my 93 YJ unlocked so they would open the door instead of cutting the top. Didn't work. They cut the top without trying the door.

I have a steel locking center console insert for paperwork for the JL. In the YJ the center console was locked, and they broke that too. Its was just plastic like the JL.

Lock or don't lock, its up to you. It seems to me that it would be easier to get insurance to pay to fix the top if it was locked. Plus the horn would blow if it was locked and the door opened without unlocking first.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I have the Slipstream and love it. I keep my registration and insurance info in the storage spot in the back. I don’t keep anything of value in the glovebox or console. I have doors off and top down spring through fall.

Edit to add some things I bought for the Slipstream:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J5GLCJJ (you will need these or something similar with a soft top)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Y1U1JO (to light up the bed)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KG9BAY0 (to cover the rails)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SL0KJM (to put on the slipstream where the top rests when down)

Last edited:

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
same thing a few people said.. lock them.. we had teenagers walking our neighborhood opening doors and rummaging around in gars for stuff.. i lock even in safari mode, because i mean someone is going to feel akward and look suspicious climbing in thru the trunk.. the glove boc and center console storage lock.. but there is also a small storage space under the floor of the trunk.. and when the door is closed it clods down the back cover, so if that door is locked than that extra storage space is too.. Also I have been meaning to do it but have not, there are a number of locking aftermarket storage solutions you can add under the seat.. but probably will never inveest in it.. because i have never had a problem..

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Depends on the situation. I leave nothing of value in the Jeep, and dont lock the glovebox or center console (I've seen too many stories here of people breaking them and how expensive it is to fix), so I just leave those open. If I do have anything of value I keep it in the rear storage cubby and lock the tailgate, and it's safe.

I usually just leave it unlocked (but park in a garage at night), not worth getting my soft top damaged when there's nothing to even steal. If someone wants to steal the Jeep a locked door isn't going to stop them, a door grabber won't find anything worth stealing, but a desperate person may ruin my top if the door doesn't deter them.

Leaving it unlocked has far fewer downsides than the possible problems leaving it locked could lead to.

If on a trip with stuff loaded up I lock it and stick particularly valuable stuff in the passenger footwell since its much more awkward for a thief to get to that part from the back soft top area and they're less likely to be tempted/more likely to get caught in the middle of it.
Sponsored