Sponsored

Level 1 charging - no extension cord allowed?

rtk513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2021 Sahara 4xE
I'm not sure if Jeep is just trying to protect themselves legally or not, but I noticed on the "How to charge your 4xE" video, it said that using an extension cord with the level 1 charger is not allowed.

I don't think they can detect that I'm using an extension cord. Plus, what is the risk as long as it is a proper extension cord? Right now I live in an apartment with a garage, I will have to run an extension cord to the garage. Buying a house later this year.
Sponsored

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2018 CX-5, 2020 RAM 1500 BTS
Same restriction for all other EVs. Makes sense as I wouldn’t trust the average user to use a proper spec (like 30 amp) cord and news stories of houses burning down due to an EV charging is not good for adoption. So short answer is it seems a clear liability thing but probably a good one.

BTA

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru legacy
I'm not sure if Jeep is just trying to protect themselves legally or not, but I noticed on the "How to charge your 4xE" video, it said that using an extension cord with the level 1 charger is not allowed.

I don't think they can detect that I'm using an extension cord. Plus, what is the risk as long as it is a proper extension cord? Right now I live in an apartment with a garage, I will have to run an extension cord to the garage. Buying a house later this year.
There are several possible reasons, one reason would be the loss of voltage that occurs the longer the cord gets. at a certain point the amount remaining may become insufficient to charge the vehicle.
The most likely reason is that not all extension cords are made alike, if someone uses a cheap cord, it could be a fire hazard.

OP
OP

rtk513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same restriction for all other EVs. Makes sense as I wouldn’t trust the average user to use a proper spec (like 30 amp) cord and news stories of houses burning down due to an EV charging is not good for adoption. So short answer is it seems a clear liability thing but probably a good one.
What would be the minimum extension cord specs for a level 1 charger? Lots of options on Amazon, since it's level 1 I don't think I need anything special, just need to cover the charger specs (which I am having trouble finding)

Last edited:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
What’s the risk?

a fire

read some basics about wire gauge Run length and hope you don’t have federal pacific breakers

not scolding-but as a future homeowner you should know these things before owning a house even if it’s an educated simple overview.

I say that because the last two days I’ve been helping several clueless neighbors who have lived in their houses 20+ years and don’t know where a water shutoff is. Or that they even live in a house w a triple phase feed

I don’t know amp requirements for level one-but I would do some reading before I plugged in my50k suv into the grid using an extension cord down the stairs to it to make sure all wiring and breakers service as intended

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
If you think about it, all the wiring in your house is essentially a bunch of extension cords from your service panel. This seems like a reasonable guide:

Extension Cord Size Chart - Understanding Wire Gauge and Amps | PTR (protoolreviews.com)
This may depend a bit on how we're using the word "essentially". The wiring for a house has very specific codes regarding conduit size and sheathing, conductor size and current capacity, cable spacing, etc. Sure, using something like an 8 gauge welding extension cord may be fine, but I understand why a manufacturer would simply say no extension cords.

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
I have my BMW X3E level 1 charger on an appliance extension cord rated higher that the outlet it's plugged into so I have no fear of an issue. It has worked fine for the past 6 months. You can find level 2 chargers that will cut your time down to about 1/3. They make them for many plug designs. Mine was only $200 M/L. I use it at my other home, it works great plugged into a welding style plug if you happen to have something like that in your new home when you buy it. That way there is no need to get an electrician out. I'm waiting for my 4Xe delivery and will use the same chargers for it. The vehicles are designed to know the charge rate of the charger. Good luck home shopping!

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

There is some drop but it is negligible. The current will still be with-in spec so the Jeep will not have an issue with it. (The "charger" itself is just a smart relay, it doesn't even know what it is passing.) The real problem is that most extension cords are not designed to handle sustained 16A for hours. They get too hot and can start a fire. Also in some cases the connectors will micro arc which can cause a fire.

OP
OP

rtk513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is some drop but it is negligible. The current will still be with-in spec so the Jeep will not have an issue with it. (The "charger" itself is just a smart relay, it doesn't even know what it is passing.) The real problem is that most extension cords are not designed to handle sustained 16A for hours. They get too hot and can start a fire. Also in some cases the connectors will micro arc which can cause a fire.
Hah well the other catch is that this a detached garage, and it's sub zero temperature right now :D

Kidding, definitely a risk but I don't see how it would be anymore of a risk than running something like patio lights 24/7. As long as it is a heavy duty 12/3AWG high quality extension cord, I think the risks are fairly limited;

I'm honestly more worried about leaving the level 1 charger outside in the rain but I'm sure it's protected.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hah well the other catch is that this a detached garage, and it's sub zero temperature right now :D

Kidding, definitely a risk but I don't see how it would be anymore of a risk than running something like patio lights 24/7. As long as it is a heavy duty high quality extension cord, I think the risks are limited;

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=heavy+duty+16a+120v+extension+cord

I'm honestly more worried about leaving the level 1 charger outside in the rain but I'm sure it's protected.
You can actually get extensions for the other end so that you keep the L1 inside.
https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-J177...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Just make sure you get a really thick extension cord! (12 gauge, though really only 14 gauge is required for 15A circuit) that is rated for this.