First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
You can make the quality argument (although warn doesn't win most of the head to head tests I've read), but I'd hardly call a $1,300 winch with only an 8000 lb capacity a value. It does have a fancy red logo on it, but I wouldn't call that a $900 "value".
i got the m series winch. the m series was the first original winch when warn came out. they are reliable and parts are readily available to do a rebuilt when / if needed. the vr, evo, etc series are china made and the reliability is questionable.

at one point superwinch was a good winch when it was usa made. now the have gone to crap. ramsey is also a good brand. keep in mind i'm talking about the older models. not the newer styles. i dont bother looking at the other off brand winches.

so, the m8000 to me is the best out there and its a cleaner look when its fits nicely in the winch bumper. got it under $900.
Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Looking at the Warn VR vs Zeon - what makes the Zeon $700-$1000 more than the VR? Seems like an incredible jump in price between the 2

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
My smittybilt is nice. And tractor supply just came out with a new winch that is all metal. If I were in the market for one right now I'd take a hard look at that TS winch.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Smittybilt XRC Gen3 probably one of the best winches out there. I’ve had mine for awhile now and it pulls well.

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Check out this page. EVO is standard and Zeon is premium. Better components and rope. Most of the cost difference is probably US labor.
https://www.warn.com/compare-truck-suv-winches
thank you - great comparison, however I have never purchased or used one before, so I am still not sure if those differences are worth it? Warranty and IP ratings seem similar. I see the drum and lines are better with the Zeon, but is that $700 better?

Rubicon Randy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
You can not beat the Warn Zeon 10s for quality and capability. You can option in the remote feature as well. the product works well with the Rubicon bumper and Warn winch plate. I also coupled in a Blue Ox tow bar base plate that allows me to tow my Rubicon JLU behind our motorhome. Go with Warn. You will not be disappointed

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
The problem with the Zeon is the finish doesn’t stand up in the north. It’s a lot of money for something that looks like crap after one winter.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Our PowerWagon came with a factory Warn spooled with steel cable. It’s been used once to unspool and tension the cable. It’s not a cheap winch and I doubt I’ll ever test its full capacity. Who knows what I might come across in the future.

My Jeep runs the Quadratech Stealth with synthetic rope. It too got unspooled and tensioned but it’s been used twice to pull me out of mud bogs. Nowhere near the price of the Warn, had a recall but I totally love running the winch at a safe distance and behind a tree using the controller wirelessly. Yep, no cable to hang in the mud or through the window. Works like a champ and the price ain’t bad…

Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks 6484FFF8-6868-4647-A470-5793942E85DE

Sponsored

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with the Zeon is the finish doesn’t stand up in the north. It’s a lot of money for something that looks like crap after one winter.
Go with the Warn VR EVO 10-S with the synthetic rope. It has a pull capacity of 10,000lbs which is way more than most will ever need. Also it’s hundreds less than Zeon.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Go with the Warn VR EVO 10-S with the synthetic rope. It has a pull capacity of 10,000lbs which is way more than most will ever need. Also it’s hundreds less than Zeon.
If you're buying a Chinese winch, the VR is double what it should cost. It's no better than the other Chinese competition, smittybilt, apex, x-bull etc but all those sell for $3-500 less. That is an expensive red sticker on your Chinese winch.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
If you're buying a Chinese winch, the VR is double what it should cost. It's no better than the other Chinese competition, smittybilt, apex, x-bull etc but all those sell for $3-500 less. That is an expensive red sticker on your Chinese winch.
either-way it's made by Warn a US based company and comes with their full factory warranty and that's what I'm more concerned with.

and if i'm going to be that extreme, half of our Jeeps are foreign lol..:

Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks 1634644380162

Last edited:

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ - 1999 TJ - 2004 TJ
i got the m series winch. the m series was the first original winch when warn came out. they are reliable and parts are readily available to do a rebuilt when / if needed. the vr, evo, etc series are china made and the reliability is questionable.

at one point superwinch was a good winch when it was usa made. now the have gone to crap. ramsey is also a good brand. keep in mind i'm talking about the older models. not the newer styles. i dont bother looking at the other off brand winches.

so, the m8000 to me is the best out there and its a cleaner look when its fits nicely in the winch bumper. got it under $900.
I agree. My m8000 had been great. Anything can break though or end up being a lemon (read someone in this thread had a terrible experience with m8000), but it is probably one of the more reliable and a fair price.

Although for my next Jeep, if I get the 2dr i may splurge and get a 9.5xp. 🤟👍 it's more winch than Id need but I've always wanted a 9.5xp and couldn't afford it when i was younger.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
either-way it's made by Warn a US based company and comes with their full factory warranty and that's what I'm more concerned with.

and if i'm going to be that extreme, half of our Jeeps are foreign lol..:

Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks 1634644380162
Thanks for proving my point. Smittybilt headquarters is in Compton, CA. Harbor freight is in Calabasas, CA. It trips me out that people give companies like warn a pass on their Chinese manufacturing. Why? Because they used to manufacture all of their products on America? That ship has sailed. I don't believe there's a winch on the market that is 100% American made anymore. At this point, the best value is all that matters.
Sponsored