Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
Todd, I would also add to your excellent advice to carry and use a snatch block for all pulls, if possible. It halves the load and stress on your winch, albeit it does slow the pull rate down a bit.
Thank you!! I am a big believer in being over prepared. The guy who runs our group carries a chainsaw and at first thought that's overkill, until we came across a down tree across the trail.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
How much lower is the mounting plate then the bumper? Both of the receivers I'm looking at come out about the same elevation below the bumper but one looks to mount lower.

Winching is not what I'm looking at for this receiver (both list them for 9000# straight line winching use), but for a bike rack and a ladder rack. ... but you never know. An aftermarket bumper is not going to happen.

Looking at install pictures of everything the Curt might fit.
The Warn winch mounting plate hangs about half way in between the bottom of the frame rail and bottom of the bumper without its lower skid plate. This doesn't include the winch plates 2 lower brackets that tie it into the frame extensions that the skid plate mounts to.

The 4 long stainless lag bolts in these pics are those 2 brackets attaching to the winch plate.
Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks 20211016_115056
Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks 20211016_115636

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
For $249 on sale can't go wrong with a Harbor freight Badlands 12,000 winch. For as much as I will ever use it it's not killing the bank sitting on the front of the Jeep. Came complete and seems very well built.
PXL_20211002_003838931.jpg

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
The Warn winch mounting plate hangs about half way in between the bottom of the frame rail and bottom of the bumper without its lower skid plate. This doesn't include the winch plates 2 lower brackets that tie it into the frame extensions that the skid plate mounts to.

The 4 long stainless lag bolts in these pics are those 2 brackets attaching to the winch plate.
Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks PXL_20211002_003838931
Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks PXL_20211002_003838931
They're great shots and things are looking better, Thanks! I had downloaded pics and the install of the warn plate but hadn't seen it installed. The brackets will need to be modded but not seeing that as a problem. The receivers look to bolt on in the holes above them and there lower bolt hole plus the one in front of the frame.

Lag bolts? I've only used lag bolts in wood.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I went with a Smittybilt X20 10,000 lb winch, but if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the Harbor Freight winch all day long. People have thrashed the hell out of them with good results. They're cheaper. They have higher capacity. My Smittybilt winch has performed well, it's just that I didn't really get anything for the extra money I paid. They're both made in China anyway.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
They're great shots and things are looking better, Thanks! I had downloaded pics and the install of the warn plate but hadn't seen it installed. The brackets will need to be modded but not seeing that as a problem. The receivers look to bolt on in the holes above them and there lower bolt hole plus the one in front of the frame.

Lag bolts? I've only used lag bolts in wood.
Glad the pics were of some help.

Yeah, Warn puts square holes in the lower lip of the main plate to save one from having to hold a wrench back there. Who knows? 😆

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you!! I am a big believer in being over prepared. The guy who runs our group carries a chainsaw and at first thought that's overkill, until we came across a down tree across the trail.
I’m with you there, brother. Us military guys tend to over-prepare - for a reason. we have learned that our lives depend on it.

Thank you for your service, devil dog! A big Army “Hooah!” to you, my friend!

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Not wanting to stray to far from the original post but, has anyone tried fitting a front receiver along with a winch in a stock bumper? Not wanting to use the receiver for winching but will they fit together? I've been looking at 2 on the market and the framework on the Curt looks to sit a little lower leaving more room for the winch ... maybe?
Just remember that the hitch pin can become the weak link in that setup.
Using a class 2,3 or even 4 hitch, with a hook or shackle, for a recovery can get dicey with a pin that is not up to the task.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Got my new 2021 Rubi Xtreme Recon last week and starting to look at mods. came with 35"s and will be adding couple hundred lbs in bumpers. Any recommendation on winches for both capacity and brand. I have no idea who makes good quality. Most likely will be used minimally but wanna have it work when needed. Looking right now at the DV8 bumpers series but nothing bought yet.

Thoughts and recommendation?

Jeep.jpg
Warn EVO VR 10S is a great winch, mounted it on the steel OEM bumper on my 2021 JLUR.

Last edited:

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Just remember that the hitch pin can become the weak link in that setup.
Using a class 2,3 or even 4 hitch, with a hook or shackle, for a recovery can get dicey with a pin that is not up to the task.
But I don't have hooks or shackles on my bike rack or my ladder rack.

Sponsored

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
i decided to go with the Warn VR EVO 10-S with the synthetic rope. It has a pull capacity of 10,000lbs which is way more than i will ever need. Also the price point is of one that wont break the bank.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i got the warn m8000 w/ syn-line. the older style warn wiches are still the best in quality and value in $$$.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
i got the warn m8000 w/ syn-line. the older style warn wiches are still the best in quality and value in $$$.
You can make the quality argument (although warn doesn't win most of the head to head tests I've read), but I'd hardly call a $1,300 winch with only an 8000 lb capacity a value. It does have a fancy red logo on it, but I wouldn't call that a $900 "value".
Sponsored