Sponsored

Let's talk winches folks

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
completely agree.....but the reason I asked about brand is I don't know who makes good quality. So asking brand is an indirect why of asking who does good on capability and durability. Weight is a set number and easy to determine. Price is an afterthought in my opinion. I will pay for something that lasts and works when I need it.
Agreed, willing to pay for something that works. My several Smittybilt winches have never failed me. There have been a few people that have said they consider their winch to be rescue equipment and I believe they are correct. I have had warn winches that were outstanding but I had one M8000 that was a big paper weight. Had it repaired three times before I gave up on it. Just like anything else built by man if the winch is built by the wrong man on the wrong day at the wrong hour the end user gets the shaft. Look for the design specks you want and read as many real reviews as possible.

A winch is no different than a jeep, some people never have a break down and others are always in the shop.
Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Another shout out for the Harbor Freight Badland winches. My last Jeep had the cheaper 12000 lb ZXR. I used the crap out of it for two years, pulling entire trees, stumps, and bushes out of the ground, large vehicles buried in mud down in ditches, etc. No malfunctions. I think they need to be periodically used to keep them in reliable, working order. I left it on my last Jeep when I traded it in.

I just had a 12000 lb Apex installed today. It is a far better winch. Faster, cycles far longer, submersion water-proof, able to be pressure-washed. Fit and finish is outstanding, with the entire thing being in an aluminum alloy casing. I intend on using the crap out of this one too.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Warn 9.0Rc 54 lbs. short drum synthetic line

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Warn has the strongest reputation on winches.

However, their made in USA winches are way overpriced; and their VR line, which is price competitive, is made in China.

After buying Warn winches for years and paying through the nose, this time I got a Quadratec Stealth-10 winch. For $600 you get a one-piece cast steel body, 10,000 lbs of pulling power, synthetic rope, both wireless and plug-in controls, and even has a built-in LED that illuminates the drum so you can see what you are doing in the dark.

In my brief experience using it: it looks and feels top quality, and is relatively compact, too. You can actually get your hand around the winch, between the opening of the Mopar steel bumper.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/q-performance-stealth-winch/10000lb-synthetic-rope

1634159122331.jpeg

0A840A09-ADB9-4C05-9784-69FB7E48780D.jpeg
Does that bumper, or it's cousin, fit my 2019 JL; would buy that whole set up.

Sponsored

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
Granted these are extreme examples in the video below but it shows the dangers of a cable letting loose. I'll take me chances with a synthetic rope over a cable any day. Nice to see them bust the myth that a rope just magically falls to the ground when it snaps... it doesn't, but it is much more controlled when it lets loose.
In the movie Jurassic Park, the character Newman had a steel cable on his Jeep winch. It did not snap...and it almost saved him.

SnowDawg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2022 JLUR, 2018 Raptor, 2022 TRX
In the movie Jurassic Park, the character Newman had a steel cable on his Jeep winch. It did not snap...and it almost saved him.
Newman had a steel cable, and he didn't get out. So obviously if he had a synthetic line we would have dino's running wild to this day! 😂

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Another shout out for the Harbor Freight Badland winches. My last Jeep had the cheaper 12000 lb ZXR. I used the crap out of it for two years, pulling entire trees, stumps, and bushes out of the ground, large vehicles buried in mud down in ditches, etc. No malfunctions. I think they need to be periodically used to keep them in reliable, working order. I left it on my last Jeep when I traded it in.

I just had a 12000 lb Apex installed today. It is a far better winch. Faster, cycles far longer, submersion water-proof, able to be pressure-washed. Fit and finish is outstanding, with the entire thing being in an aluminum alloy casing. I intend on using the crap out of this one too.
Matt's Off-road recovery uses badland winch brand and it works well for a guy who makes a living out of recovering stuck 4x4 er's and huge campers.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
What I have not read once in 4 pages of comments is where a cheaper brand has actually failed somebody. The assumption seems to be that by spending more on say a Warn, you are buying an extra layer of reliability. Sadly there doesn't seem to be ANY evidence to support the notion that spending more, double or triple even buys you any more than a name plate. That said, the only winches I have ever owned were a couple of Warn's.
I read a couple posts on here about the Harbor Freight badlands winch malfunctioning.
@wibornz posted one, then I think I read he or someone else say they’ve also seen one fail.
I’m not trying to rag on HF, my point is that machines can fail. There definitely aren’t that many people posting stories, so I felt fine buying an inexpensive one for my use case.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ou-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/post-1658250

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I read a couple posts on here about the Harbor Freight badlands winch malfunctioning.
@wibornz posted one, then I think I read he or someone else say they’ve also seen one fail.
I’m not trying to rag on HF, my point is that machines can fail. There definitely aren’t that many people posting stories, so I felt fine buying an inexpensive one for my use case.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ou-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/post-1658250
I saw a video of one failing. The guy had it mounted on a pickup with an after market bumper he installed or something. The bumper flexed and deformed THEN the winch broke. The frame of the winch cracked and a piece broke off when the bumper flexed. The winch kept working even after the break, he didn't know it broke until later. He was also trying to pull out a stump that was never going to be "pulled" out. IMHO that was user error and/or a bad installation. His warn winch failed too. It just stopped working it didn't break.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
What ever you get, make sure you put some kind of kill switch or relay on the main power cables. Warn makes a good switch so does stinger. You don't want to get into a small accident or have something rubbing over time that causes the power cable going to the winch short. You could burn your jeep down. Only have that main cable energized when you need it, not all the time.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

GATORB8

First Name