First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
For $29 I might put one on my kids Ford Fusion, except the bumpers are plastic. Might be cool coming right out of the middle of the hood, or the trunk lid.
Sponsored

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Whatever you do, do not get a steel cable winch. When a steel cable snaps, they're likely to kill people. Putting a blanket over the line does absolutely nothing to dampen the forces at play here.

Spend the extra money and get the synthetic lines. Synthetic can snap too, but the chances of injury are significantly reduced.

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
Who makes the lightest good 10k winch with synthetic line if price isn’t a factor

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I would definitely get steel cable. The advantages of synthetic are minimal, maintenance is greater, as is the cost.

MandrewSD

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392
Okay guys, I Googled it. Took only a few seconds to find this sad product. Kinda like putting a sock in your pants.

Video complete with badass generic heavy metal music that all car product videos seem to have these days.

Sadly, cant be used on plastic Jeep bumpers :CWL:
Looks like this started as an April Fools Joke...people wanted it in the comments....can't blame them for selling them and making money.
Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks 1634167102576

Sponsored

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Who makes the lightest good 10k winch with synthetic line if price isn’t a factor
My guess would be the Warn Zeon. I just recently installed one and was surprised at how light it was. The main body is aluminum and the drum is zinc. Just going from steel to synthetic line was a 17 lb difference.

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
Had a Harbor Freight coupon and got the Apex 12000 with Synthetic cable for under $500
The Mounting kit and assorted accessories cost more.
We use one of these on a recovery trailer and it hasn't failed us.

DSCF3132.JPG

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I have a 12K winch with synthetic rope on my JLUR. Proper winch usage just like off road driving is a learned form of art. The consequences of improper winch use can cause great amounts of damage or even worse bodily harm. Wire rope is fine fore most applications but when a wire rope snaps it recoils back towards its origin which is much less likely with synthetic rope. Undersized wire rope diameter for a particular application is a primary cause of rope breakage. This also applies to synthetic rope.

Winches like many other survival things in the off road world are such that you hardly ever need them until you need them and then you really need them so you really want them to work.

With a 6000 lb. rig loaded with gear stuck in the muck I want my winch to pull my A** out.

Brands are a matter of personal choice, you will be hard pressed to get three people to agree on which one is best. Made in America sounds great but what manufacturer has anything totally made in America any longer.

Weight, price, capability, and durability are far more important than the name glued on it as name usage gets sold to the highest bidder.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
https://www.amazon.com/X-BULL-Synth...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
$341, you really can't go wrong. Quality seems on par with the smittybilt I ran on my xj for years. Fits the factory steel bumper, doesn't block airflow, and has been flawless for the year we've had it. I can't speak to the quality of the hook, I installed the winch thimble with the winch.
20211003_105246.jpg
Just a winch accessory, but I use the Mile Marker winch thimble (6012166). Instead of adding a failure point like the F55 and similar, it simply cases the thimble on the rope so you can use a standard shackle. And it’s only $30.

Sponsored

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
I’ve always looked at the winch as a piece of rescue gear. It’s like a good first aid kit. I may never need it on the trail, but if I do it can’t fail. With that in mind I bought a Warn 10S. In six years I’ve used it twice. On the one hand that means any winch could have worked. On the other is the insurance that if my life depends on it I know it will work. All of that being said, I always wheel with other people and a recovery line is used every time we go out. That is more important than any winch to me.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Badlands. One on the JLU Sahara, one on the JTR Gladiator, almost two years now. The 3rd one gets mounted on my JL Willys this weekend.

I've used them 5 or 6 times each, helping others, and to pull stumps out here in my country abode. I think it's a great winch.

IMG_8740.jpg

20210718_175252.jpg

20211004_155432.jpg

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I went with Warn. Simply because as a young kid my neighbor had a 1978 Jeep that I loved and he had a Warn. The Warn is just nostalgic for me.