Let's talk winches folks

Iguanamann

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
Got my new 2021 Rubi Xtreme Recon last week and starting to look at mods. came with 35"s and will be adding couple hundred lbs in bumpers. Any recommendation on winches for both capacity and brand. I have no idea who makes good quality. Most likely will be used minimally but wanna have it work when needed. Looking right now at the DV8 bumpers series but nothing bought yet.

Thoughts and recommendation?

Jeep.jpg
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
for the amount I actually use a winch, I just couldn't justify the cost of a Warn. I got a Runva with synthetic line super cheap from Costco online, delivered, free, to my door. Best return policy in the business and a solid winch.

Dirty edit.
So I went to Costco.ca (yes, I'm Canadian) and they seem to no longer have the Runva I bought online at the moment. They have a Champion that is very similiar for about $50 more I think.
https://www.costco.ca/champion-5,443-kg-(12,000-lb.)-electric-winch-with-synthetic-rope.product.100372539.html

Oddly enough, Costco.com doesn't have any winches.

In saying that, stock comes and goes with Costco, so it's always worth checking.

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a Harbor Freight 12,000 lb winch I bought secondhand. Pulls the Jeep without noticing. Its not used very often so I don't mind not jumping for the expensive brands.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Do you plan to use it regularly, or will it be there just in case? If it's the latter, look at the Badland or Smittybuilt winches.

If you will be in rugged terrain on a regular basis, use the winch regularly and a failure means that your Jeep rolls down a ravine, or you have to camp until someone comes to get you, buy the absolute best winch you can get.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Got my new 2021 Rubi Xtreme Recon last week and starting to look at mods. came with 35"s and will be adding couple hundred lbs in bumpers. Any recommendation on winches for both capacity and brand. I have no idea who makes good quality. Most likely will be used minimally but wanna have it work when needed. Looking right now at the DV8 bumpers series but nothing bought yet.

Thoughts and recommendation?

Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks Jee
I don't have direct experience, but in my research the Badlands Apex seems to be stout and cheap. Wireless. Synthetic line.

Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
2nd the motion for harbour freight 12000 lb winch. I have not had to use it for my jeep yet but did pull shrubs out of my yard just to play with it. Don't spend lots unless you think you are really going to be off-roading a bunch in situations where you will need assistance.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I almost pulled the trigger on a Warn VR Evo (I actually ordered it and canceled). I ran across the Superwinch SX10SR, which checked all my boxes, offered the same warranty and significant savings over the EVO 10s. Picked it up on sale for $630.

The Apex isn't that bad in person, and is a good deal if it's on sale for around $500 (note, apparently HF stopped doing the 20% off coupons). But the 90 day warranty scared me off of paying full price, which also happens to be $630.

Best price I found on the Warns was either rolling the dice on Amazon, or 4WP in store (in store was cheaper than their online price).

While an 8k will probably work fine, a 10k will give you some headroom. Synthetic will cost more, but gives some safety benefits (and the ability to run an aluminum Hawse Fairlead).

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I think WARN and SUPERWINCH are the only US made winches and WARN outsources their VR model to be built in China.
I see WARN's prices have skyrocketed, used to be you could pick on up for a grand now they are darn close to double that.

EDIT:
I do see you can pick up a Zeon 10S for $1500 on amazon. Still a lot of dough though.

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Whatever you do, if you haven't had one before, educate yourself on how and when to use it. I have seen some nightmares out there due the the improper use of winches and tow straps. Or just some who is dying to use their winch when stacking a couple rocks would do, slowing up everyone on the trail in the process.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Warn Zeon 8 - $1,000

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
The Harbor Freight has worked well for me, and I have similar useage to your anticipated needs. I’ve hauled 2 people out that were stuck on obstacles, and brought 1 tweaker out of a ditch on a country road. That’s all I’ve done in about 9 months, and it’s alway been ready.
Everyone in my group that has one loves it, even the heavy users.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I think WARN and SUPERWINCH are the only US made winches and WARN outsources their EVO model to be built in China.
I see WARN's prices have skyrocketed, used to be you could pick on up for a grand now they are darn close to double that.

EDIT:
I do see you can pick up a Zeon 10S for $1500 on amazon. Still a lot of dough though.
I recall on some YouTube video and want to say they where interviewing a Warn rep. That the VR series is made in China in a Warn owned factory. Not sure if that’s true, but I view that as a bit different then full outsourced manufacturing.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I recall on some YouTube video and want to say they where interviewing a Warn rep. That the VR series is made in China in a Warn owned factory. Not sure if that’s true, but I view that as a bit different then full outsourced manufacturing.
Crap you are right I got them backwards, fixing orig post now. Thanks.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Warn has the strongest reputation on winches.

However, their made in USA winches are way overpriced; and their VR line, which is price competitive, is made in China.

After buying Warn winches for years and paying through the nose, this time I got a Quadratec Stealth-10 winch. For $600 you get a one-piece cast steel body, 10,000 lbs of pulling power, synthetic rope, both wireless and plug-in controls, and even has a built-in LED that illuminates the drum so you can see what you are doing in the dark.

In my brief experience using it: it looks and feels top quality, and is relatively compact, too. You can actually get your hand around the winch, between the opening of the Mopar steel bumper.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/q-performance-stealth-winch/10000lb-synthetic-rope

Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks 1634159122331

Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks 0A840A09-ADB9-4C05-9784-69FB7E48780D
Sponsored