First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I like the Warn name too. Went with a Zeon 12-S. Marketing?

Just wanted something that could pull my Jeep and small off road trailer out of sticky situation together in case I had no other choice. Made in America was key too whatever that means these days.

Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks 064834C7-3479-4FFF-9535-36F1ADAB95B0
Sponsored

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I had a Quadratec Stealth on my JK and loved it. On my JL I got a VR EVO since Quadratec had a massive recall during my winch purchase time frame. I would definitely go with one of the many options members have stated and used. Nothing would be better than saving a few bucks and your winch failing the first time you need it most.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I think WARN and SUPERWINCH are the only US made winches
Ramsey also made in US. And it would be my first choice. Ramsey winches are the only ones that held up from 2 - 6 pulls daily dragging skids and towable generators up on the trailer. The only thing that went out were the solenoids. Extremely durable and reliable.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
2nd the motion for harbour freight 12000 lb winch. I have not had to use it for my jeep yet but did pull shrubs out of my yard just to play with it. Don't spend lots unless you think you are really going to be off-roading a bunch in situations where you will need assistance.
I've pulled shrubs too. Saves a lot of hard manual labor!

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
for me it was the Warn 10K lb with synthetic rope.
i didn't want to screw around with any chance of something lesser in times of need, and was willing to deal with the additional care synthetic line needs for the benefit of the additional safety of the synthetic rope in those cases.

the 10K fits in the same place as the 8K ('Rubicon') winch that Mopar sells, and weighs exactly the same; only difference is the gearing is lower and slower. but since i'm not competing, line speed wasn't a critical factor for me.

Who makes the lightest good 10k winch with synthetic line if price isn’t a factor

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Make sure you run your winch at least every few months or so. Pull an old semi tire or wagon full of rocks or something that will put tension on the line. Check the line for burrs or frays and make sure it winds evenly on the spool. It would be a bad day if you needed to use a winch that was installed 3-4 years ago, only to find that it doesn’t work or you are not sure bow to operate it.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
I’m done hanging a couple pounds off my front bumper that I use maybe 2x a year (see the thread “winch on mall crawlers”). I bought a gas winch that can pull 12k. I just have good mounting points on my front and rear bumper. I don’t need to haul it when I am just going to the grocery store. Plus I use it all the time for other things like pulling downed tree limbs etc...

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Any significant mpg effect? I am getting a 4xe Rubicon with steel bumper. Winch off the front doesn’t seem like it would have much effect but just curious if anyone has measured. People speculate in threads I’ve searched but no one had a before and after.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Still getting 23-24mpg with the winch.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Iguanamann

Iguanamann

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
I have a 12K winch with synthetic rope on my JLUR. Proper winch usage just like off road driving is a learned form of art. The consequences of improper winch use can cause great amounts of damage or even worse bodily harm. Wire rope is fine fore most applications but when a wire rope snaps it recoils back towards its origin which is much less likely with synthetic rope. Undersized wire rope diameter for a particular application is a primary cause of rope breakage. This also applies to synthetic rope.

Winches like many other survival things in the off road world are such that you hardly ever need them until you need them and then you really need them so you really want them to work.

With a 6000 lb. rig loaded with gear stuck in the muck I want my winch to pull my A** out.

Brands are a matter of personal choice, you will be hard pressed to get three people to agree on which one is best. Made in America sounds great but what manufacturer has anything totally made in America any longer.

Weight, price, capability, and durability are far more important than the name glued on it as name usage gets sold to the highest bidder.
completely agree.....but the reason I asked about brand is I don't know who makes good quality. So asking brand is an indirect why of asking who does good on capability and durability. Weight is a set number and easy to determine. Price is an afterthought in my opinion. I will pay for something that lasts and works when I need it.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I've got a Harbor Freight 12,000 lb winch I bought secondhand. Pulls the Jeep without noticing. Its not used very often so I don't mind not jumping for the expensive brands.
I did pop for the Warn Zeon 10s and it's pull strength and speed are really amazing. I had a Smittybult synthetic on my last Jeep that never failed either. (AND it was a hellovalot cheaper, and lighter!)

I'm a bit disappointed in Warn, not because of it's functionality but because the paint started bubbling already. It's been kept clean and the Jeep stays in the garage.

Anyway, I'd recommend getting a cheaper option as well.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Any significant mpg effect? I am getting a 4xe Rubicon with steel bumper. Winch off the front doesn’t seem like it would have much effect but just curious if anyone has measured. People speculate in threads I’ve searched but no one had a before and after.
I don’t have a good idea of before since mine had a winch and 35s before it hit 100 miles, but it won’t be any different than having a small person ride with you. When people say these things have the aerodynamics of a brick, they aren’t kidding, you’ll be reminded every day as you smash every bug in your path with your windshield.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I would definitely get steel cable. The advantages of synthetic are minimal, maintenance is greater, as is the cost.
Are you being serious? This is the dumbest thing I've heard. There is a reason synthetic exist and dominate the market with lighter and safer being the leading reasons. Ever see a steel cable snap?
Sponsored