Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
The test is BS. n=1. But I think this is what you're asking about; Warn = "broken internal parts, would not work after test".

Results
WinchMax Pull (lb)Result
Bulldog10,000Broke internal parts, would not work after test
Engo12,000All functions still worked after test
Superwinch15,900Would not spool out after test
T-Max16,000All functions still worked after test
Warn16,000Broke internal parts, would not work after test
True, n=1 is bogus, but more bogus is exceeding the rated pull by 68%.

Warn 9.5xp (9,500-lb electric)

Warn and the others should shut down before breaking tho.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
True, n=1 is bogus, but more bogus is exceeding the rated pull by 68%.

Warn 9.5xp (9,500-lb electric)

Warn and the others should shut down before breaking tho.
None of us have a gauge installed on our winch lines, we pull until we are unstuck, the winch simply won’t budge the stuck rig, or something breaks. It is awesome that it got to 16k, but I’d rather have my winch run out of steam near its rating before it breaks itself.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
None of us have a gauge installed on our winch lines, we pull until we are unstuck, the winch simply won’t budge the stuck rig, or something breaks. It is awesome that it got to 16k, but I’d rather have my winch run out of steam near its rating before it breaks itself.
  • If you've winched before, you can hear the load. How likely is it you need to exceed 14K lbs?
  • You'd rather have the Engo?
  • We'd all rather have the winch stop before breaking.
  • I'm getting the Warn ZEON Platinum 12-S Recovery 12000lb which is a much better winch.
  • Maybe n=1 is the most bogus part of the test. They didn't even bother contacting Warn for comment.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
  • If you've winched before, you can hear the load. How likely is it you need to exceed 14K lbs?
  • You'd rather have the Engo?
  • We'd all rather have the winch stop before breaking.
  • I'm getting the Warn ZEON Platinum 12-S Recovery 12000lb which is a much better winch.
  • Maybe n=1 is the most bogus part of the test. They didn't even bother contacting Warn for comment.
I’d say exceeding 14k is more likely than you think, multiple times I’ve seen 10-12klb winches unable to move really buried or wedged in rigs in a single line pull. Again I’d rather have it load down and not move, allowing me to dig, jack, change the angle of the pull etc and try again than pull itself to bits. For the price, I’d absolutely pick the engo over the warn. Warn is the Gucci of winches these days, I’ll stick with my good old fashioned blue jeans that get the job done without the fancy logo or designer price tag. Is the warn better than a badlands? Of course. Is it 2-5 times better? Absolutely not.

Sponsored

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Warn EVO 10 and look no further. More winch than you’ll ever need….

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
no cover, no garage
I don't see a lot of winch covers on Jeeps, but I'm wondering if that is just because people want to show off their stuff. How many of you keep your winch covered when not in use? It seems like it would be helpful in protecting synthetic ropes from UV damage.

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
In this rig Winch is inside of plate bumper, with relocated solenoid box. Long Rash guard on last winds in covers synthetic from Uv.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I don't see a lot of winch covers on Jeeps, but I'm wondering if that is just because people want to show off their stuff. How many of you keep your winch covered when not in use? It seems like it would be helpful in protecting synthetic ropes from UV damage.
I never did, but after getting all the corrosion I just repainted I have one now. We will see if it helps. 🤷‍♂️

Overkill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.camaroheaven.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon; 2018 JLU Sahara; 2002 TJ Sport; 2005 GMC 2500HD; 1969 Camaro (blue); 1969 Camaro (red); 1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne K20
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
On my TJ, I always keep it covered. I have a cover for the one on the JL, but I haven't been able to get it down around the front of it since it is so close in the stock bumper. I'll eventually get it in there though. It is one of the Warn ones that you can leave on and still use the winch.

Sponsored

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
HF coupon for the Badlands just popped over in my email.

Sharing is caring. ;)
Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks Screenshot_20211231-081048_Email
We’ll thanks and no thanks for this. HF just got $720 from me because of this post! New tree saver, D ring, snatch block, and snatch recovery strap later im not too mad I suppose

One_off

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2d Gecko Gr + 2021 Rubicon 2 White
We’ll thanks and no thanks for this. HF just got $720 from me because of this post! New tree saver, D ring, snatch block, and snatch recovery strap later im not too mad I suppose
I'm truly sorry I posted this then. You can use you new winch to linch me...

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I tried a fabric cover - cheap one from Amazon - but it was too hard getting the winch covered with it in my bumper. So, I just bent some Kydex that I had on hand to act as a sun shield to keep the UV off the line.

20210718_095417.jpg

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
So, I just bent some Kydex that I had on hand to act as a sun shield to keep the UV off the line.
UV is not good for cable? First I heard of it. I used to leave out winch and cable to the elements for years with no ill effects.
Sponsored