Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Totally agree, I ran 37” Pitbulls for a few years for the same reason but in all reality our wheeling is forest trails and mud holes. I usually just ended up pulling everyone else out.
Frequently a winch is the only or best recovery mechanism. But I've recovered many mud bogged or otherwise stuck rigs with my 1.25" 52K Bubba kinetic rope.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I agree whole heartedly with clay being much harder on the winch, but not sure who I could be showing off for being that the wife and I wheel solo 99% of the time? I run a big tire so we can comfortably run really tough trails with big rocks and NOT use the winch. With skid plates and enough work, you could get a Honda civic through the Rubicon, or a mostly stock geo tracker through Pritchett canyon (just watch the dirt ever day episode, way more effort than I want to put in). Our Jeep is built the way it is so we can drive the trails. Winching isn't wheeling, it's recovery from failing at wheeling.
True, if you stack enough rocks, a Prius is good enough.

Note: I spotted a stock JLUR with 35 through the Rubicon trail. I probably stacked four tons of rock and he only had to winch twice. It was a lot of work.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The wife loves forest trails and mud holes, I like to stretch the jeep out more. Cliffhanger, the dusy, Pritchett canyon, and the 1st Rubicon trip in the JL is less than 2 weeks away.
You’re going to have great time. I have ran those trail except for Dusty. I passed within 40 or so miles of it about a week ago. I know that many folks fake tire check badge trails. And it would have been easy to check in and not run the trail, but I don’t have it in me. If I have the badge, I ran the trail. It was tempting as it 2417 miles from home and it will be a 5,000 mile drive back to get it. By the end of the year, it will be the only badge trail that I haven’t done.

I don’t even know why I care as I have not added the badges from the trails I have done this year. I think I have about forty on the Jeep now. Ihave no idea where to put the other badges on without it cluttering up the Jeep.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Reactions: J0E

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
True, if you stack enough rocks, a Prius is good enough.

Note: I spotted a stock JLUR with 35 through the Rubicon trail. I probably stacked four tons of rock and he only had to winch twice. It was a lot of work.
The wife’s old wj did the rubicon on a set of JK rubicon take off 31’s and a 4” lift. Sliders and skids took a beating, rock stacking galore, some jacking it up off of rocks, and 2 pulls. Later trips on 35’s were much more point and shoot. I’ll winch when I have to, but the ultimate goal is to drive every obstacle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk winches folks FB_IMG_1570155469588

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You’re going to have great time. I have ran those trail except for Dusty. I passed within 40 or so miles of it about a week ago. I know that many folks fake tire check badge trails. And it would have been easy to check in and not run the trail, but I don’t have it in me. If I have the badge, I ran the trail. It was tempting as it 2417 miles from home and it will be a 5,000 mile drive back to get it. By the end of the year, it will be the only badge trail that I haven’t done.

I don’t even know why I care as I have not added the badges from the trails I have done this year. I think I have about forty on the Jeep now. Ihave no idea where to put the other badges on without it cluttering up the Jeep.
We’ve been running local trails like the rubicon and dusy for decades. There’s a rubicon badge waiting in the drawer. I’m with you on not putting a badge on a Jeep that hasn’t done the trail.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
But mall crawler post pics of 35s with no lift. How much have you used them under stress? A guy in our club bought a discount 10,000 # winch and pulled a taco 4x4 up a steep loose dirt incline he couldn't make (thanks to open differentials) and half way up the winch started to smoke. Both those winches look solid so I'm not trolling, just asking.
I can tell you that the smittybilt xrc gen gen2 has been proven over and over. I have one on my 2 door and have only used it to pull a big Chevy work truck and fully built 4 door JL out of the snow.
The warns reputation is starting to fade due to some models being made in China and their corresponding lack of reliability.

Not sure about the gen 3 Smitty, though.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
I can tell you that the smittybilt xrc gen gen2 has been proven over and over. I have one on my 2 door and have only used it to pull a big Chevy work truck and fully built 4 door JL out of the snow.
The warns reputation is starting to fade due to some models being made in China and their corresponding lack of reliability.

The Gen 3 is stronger and faster then the Gen2 and so far every bit as reliable.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
The Gen 3 is stronger and faster then the Gen2 and so far every bit as reliable.
Nice! I'll admit I was a bit bummed when I found out a few months after getting the 2 that the 3 was released.
Maybe if I someday replace my 2 door with another two door so I can get the unobtainium factory half doors, I'll put a gen 3 on it.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

I have the gen3 9.5 synthetic on my 2 door. Pulls strong, reliable, and it is pretty light.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Nice! I'll admit I was a bit bummed when I found out a few months after getting the 2 that the 3 was released.
Maybe if I someday replace my 2 door with another two door so I can get the unobtainium factory half doors, I'll put a gen 3 on it.
Just pull the winch out and keep it for your next 2 door. If it has been reliable to you and works, I wouldnt replace it.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Just pull the winch out and keep it for your next 2 door. If it has been reliable to you and works, I wouldnt replace it.
Wait a minute... I justified a new gadget purchase with completely arbitrary logic on a jeep forum. And you just had to come and reel me in with actual logic. Thanks a lot Spock. ;-)

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Wait a minute... I justified a new gadget purchase with completely arbitrary logic on a jeep forum. And you just had to come and reel me in with actual logic. Thanks a lot Spock. ;-)
They say I am fun at parties