Status
Not open for further replies.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
It seems like there is an increasing interest in effective storage in the limited space of your Jeep (Or any vehicle for that matter). It also seems like there is a fair amount of questionable advice (at least IMO) floating around as well. So...Lets see if we can get a thread going that spreads useful knowledge and good advice.

I have been designing MOLLE based products for Off Road vehicles for over 13 years, in particular Toyota and Jeeps. As far as we can tell we are the originator of this type of product.....so while I don't claim to know it all but I'm probably a pretty good resource....Throw me any questions that you want (If you think its a dumb question or not worthy of the thread....just PM or email me. Judgment free zone).

It is my hope that we can share useful storage ideas and find products that will improve all of out storage needs as well.

NOTE: While Springtail sells products that fit in this category, at no point will I try to sell you our products. I will be glad to comment on other products strengths and weaknesses but will in no way bash them (so if we can....keep it generic). Trying to keep this thread constructive and positive

I will start off with some initial thoughts....

1) Mounting MOLLE bags to the plastic panel on the tailgate has little value.

Problem
  • The space only allows for very small bags
  • The MOLLE straps are very difficult to install and especially remove.
  • The nature of MOLLE bags is to sag....the slots are too low on the tailgate to keep the bags from useful without obstructing when closing the door.
Solution
  • Fairly obvious....Most tailgate tables have a MOLLE type grid and can be has as low as $50 on ebay. They are easy to install and will likely double your storage capacity on the tailgate. Just look for ones that are decent quality and don't rattle.
2) Not all MOLLE Bags are created equally.

• While you get what you pay for (especially true in MOLLE), you don't have to have the top of the line bags.....but also it is best to avoid the cheapest ones. A lot of things come into play with bag quality....material thickness, sewing, zippers and general design all matter. Hint: Read the reviews....if people are bitching about tears or broken zippers, you should probably avoid at all costs.
  • Since the pouch is going to spend its life in your jeep, it can be a medium quality bag easily....most expensive pouch prices are based on their ability to weather the elements.
3) Think seriously about what the bag is used for
  • If it is for First Aid or recovery gear....it should be easily removable. Either a "Rip-away" style or with a removable insert.
  • If it is for Batteries, Flashlights etc...it probably should be an administrative style pouch that opens up and has compartments that properly allow you to have easy access to your needs.
  • First Aid bags should be bright colors and easy to find, properly packed and attention paid to heat sensitive contents (it gets very hot in cars which will ruin medications and cause gel/liquid containers to rupture).
  • Bags that hold clothing, blankets or shelter gear should be at least water resistant if not water proof.
I am sure there is much more discussion to be had....

Doc
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I like the idea of color- coded bags for the contents,easy to forget what's where when not used much. First Aid, Tools, Clothing,.. I keep heavy items, tools,recovery gear in the rear cubby, but light weight Bag items could benefit from color coding...

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Subscribing

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I like the idea of color- coded bags for the contents,easy to forget what's where when not used much. First Aid, Tools, Clothing,.. I keep heavy items, tools,recovery gear in the rear cubby, but light weight Bag items could benefit from color coding...
Yeah, I love color coding stuff....although not many options with MOLLE bags because of the military origin. Mostly SWAT Black, Tan, Green (and a weird green at that), Multi-cam, Red and sometimes Orange.

As a side note: Years ago, we developed a series of colored blank velcro Labels that you could write your contents of the bag on the label (with a sharpie). Never took off and eventually was discontinued. I guess that you can just as easily get custom embroidered labels that look a lot better now....just more expensive (but look way better).

Doc

IMG_2878-1.jpg

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I like the blank colored Velcro labels, can be swapped, don't want " fancy embroidery "... Bring it back ? That's enough color selection too

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
For overlanding, I like the idea of the whole bag being a different color. I might not be able to use the straps and to pick the bag out of a stack would be nice.

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I like the blank colored Velcro labels, can be swapped, don't want " fancy embroidery "... Bring it back ? That's enough color selection too
Not likely to come back....I really only like losing money one idea at a time. LOL

A lot has changed since 2009 though....if I were to think about it again, it would not be fabric. I would probably take a hard look at some sort of velcro backed vinyl.

For overlanding, I like the idea of the whole bag being a different color. I might not be able to use the straps and to pick the bag out of a stack would be nice.
I do too....unfortunately, not many manufacturers will make a production run for less than 1000 units. And then trying to sell them....not easy.

There are tactical tailors (in the USA) who will make a bag in any style and color you wish....but be prepared to pay handsomely for it.

Here is another storage variation that I like (they do them for plastic ammo cans as well.

https://www.amazon.com/MTM-MAC30-Metal-Ammo-Tray/dp/B07NDGQCRG

71Eg%2BdSj%2BcL._SL1500_.jpg

Doc

Dewey7015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door, hardtop, 6 speed.
there used to be a guy who made custom steel molle panels for the jk's. just a straight steel molle panel without the bend, that I see for the jl's...

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
He’s still around...mostly plasma cut panels. He had decent reviews on eBay.

His stuff was certainly inexpensive but I’m sure that even he has a hard time competing with the super cheap Chinese stuff that has flooded eBay and Amazon.

Doc

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
If you're looking for Ammo can storage, you can fit 2 "Fat 50's" under the rear passenger seat when it's up and secure it with a tie down. That's what I'm doing with mine.

For Molle pouches, I have some lighter tools and recovery gear on my tailgate table (from Springtail). Nothing too heavy as they bounce around, but for my tire gauge, deflators and stuff, it's perfect.

I have a Rubicon so I have the seat backs as well. On the passenger side, I have 2 Wipe Pouches from Tactical Baby Gear on amazon: One has napkins, one has wipes (both useful for cleaning hands and kids). They load with a zipper and have a velcro flap that you can open and single pull napkins/ wipes. On the Driver side, I have a Tactical; Baby Gear Dump pouch (great for garbage if you line it with a dog poop bag, but it is washable and has a draw string so it doesn't fly out with the doors off), and med kit. I also have a couple larger bags- one is in use with a change of clothes for my son, the other will be for when my daughter is born. These are primarily hooked to the rear of the front seats, but can be stuffed in a Waterproof Kayaking Bag I got from CastKing where I keep my rain gear and spare hoodie. I was thinking about moving the Medkit to the tailgate as my son is a toddler and finds kicking it funny sometimes, but a thought occured: What happens if I need it and can't open the tailgate (someone parked too close in a parking lot). So, it stays on the back seat.

Most of my bags were under $20 on Amazon and had decent reviews. I don't have any patches yet but this thread has some great resources for that.

I'll echo the sentiment NOT to put stuff on the plastic tailgate panel. It was a real pain in the ass and damaged a few straps, and some of the slots ended up breaking when I was trying to remove the bags. I removed them because the bags were slowly pulling the panel off the tail gate, so I was getting an annoying rattling. Long term, it was a safety concern: If we were in an accident, they could become projectiles. The bolted in tailgate table I have now is a far more solid and safe option.

If you're interested in checking out my set up, there are pics of everything in my build thread, linked in my signature.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I

If you're interested in checking out my set up, there are pics of everything in my build thread, linked in my signature.
I just moved them over for you....nice setup! I couldn't find the ammo cans pictured

a5dd7771-733f-400b-a193-c40a6a325b00-jpeg.jpg

6f52095b-9479-4989-8f75-f0c1024b0640-jpeg.jpg
afde141c-4fd9-4a01-b794-bded4b06aa0e-jpeg.jpg
073aa7d7-365d-46e8-9eaa-e243f6561445-jpeg.jpg
d301c79c-c737-43b6-aa55-62f0becc4692-jpeg.jpg
df51ef7d-169c-41fb-9a2d-f7843d2dee77-jpeg.jpg

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I just moved them over for you....nice setup! I couldn't find the ammo cans pictured
Thank you sir! I don't think I have any good pics of the ammo cans but this reminds me- I need to get some updated pictures.

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Thank you sir! I don't think I have any good pics of the ammo cans but this reminds me- I need to get some updated pictures.
Yeah...I would like to see that. Although if I could pry the Jeep from my wifes hands....I could take a picture myself.

Off the subject, something new I'm working on for my GMC. Kinda proud....no drilling and pretty stout.

IMG_0146_zpsphekvrau.jpg

Doc

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Status
Not open for further replies.