MileHigh

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer espresso's, especially when I'm out on the trails. I don't like having to bring the group to a halt for pee breaks. Anyway, my wife got me this little manual maker. Just add hot water and an Nespresso capsule. I dilute it if I want a normal cup of coffee.

2020-02-14_14-45-52.png
This is what we use. We have the Nanopresso and absolutely love it!
Sponsored

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL

Suchestom

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 1988 YJ, 1983 CJ8, 1979 CJ7
My best compromise for camping coffee is VIA coffee. I use a Jetboil to heat it. It's not as good as what I brew at home (fresh ground beans from a good location, good quality brewer) but is the best compromise I've come up with for quick on the trail coffee. There are several companies that make it, and it's not all the same. Large grocery stores carry it, starbucks carries it, costco carries it. Buy a box and see if you like it before you invest in the jetboil stove. I can make it quick enough to enjoy on a break, as well as a brew while camping.

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
I make it using a pour-over, the same way that I usually make it at home. I didn't buy this stove exclusively for coffee but since I have it, I'm using it. The windscreen is essential if you use a stove like this. without it it takes over 15 minutes to boil water and right around 8 with the windscreen. the biggest difference between this and coffee at home is that at home i grind the beans fresh and this way I pre grind them but it's the same coffee. Whatever I'm really enjoying at the time. One of my favorites is Bella Donovan by Blue Bottle. Since it's just boiled water and coffee, I could easily swap the Aeropress or a rugged French Press but I just prefer pour over.

Stove: Snowpeak Giga power 2.o
Windscreen: Solostove Aluminum windscreen
Kettle: Hario V60 ------ I already had this but I'd get something more packable if I didn't.
Pourover : Started with a hario V60 but I found this foldable Snowpeak one. Black Rifle Coffee Company makes one that I'd like to try out as well.
Filter: I'm using Chemex filters now. some of the cheaper filters aren't quite rugged enough to pack but the Chemex ones don't have a pressed seam to rip, they are really strong.
mug : Snowpeak H-450 double walled mug.

Snowpeak.jpg

snowpeak2.jpg
I'm with you 100% on the Snowpeak pour-over coffee. My camping set up was assembled with space in mind, so having this device is perfect. I'm currently drinking Philz (Jacobs Wonderbar) dark roast.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Nothing fancy, basic camping percolator on the Coleman stove or over the fire.

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I've got a Wal-Mart percolator and an old Coleman stove, and when I'm camping I exclusively drink Community Coffee with chicory. It's a mood changer.

I have recently purchased a Partner Steel 22 inch 2 burner, so maybe it's time to upgrade to a Magica. :LOL:

16407_16407_dup1_20140812_185701_reduced.jpg

16407_16407_dup1_20140812_185701_reduced.jpg

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I need to be schooled in how to percolate coffee. I bring a normal electic cofffee pot with me camping, but I have all the stuff to percolate coffee. Just need to refine the process. I know how to do it and have done it. But I am sure that my methods could be improved upon. Like I always guess at how long it has been percolating. There is probably a best method..... Let me know as I want to refine my method over the next couple weeks before we head out on a four thousand mile road trip to get some badge of honor trails.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I need to be schooled in how to percolate coffee. I bring a normal electic cofffee pot with me camping, but I have all the stuff to percolate coffee. Just need to refine the process. I know how to do it and have done it. But I am sure that my methods could be improved upon. Like I always guess at how long it has been percolating. There is probably a best method..... Let me know as I want to refine my method over the next couple weeks before we head out on a four thousand mile road trip to get some badge of honor trails.
I would recommend an aeropress. $20 on Amazon. Super quick and easy clean. And a small manual grinder with good burrs. Just get something to heat your water (electric kettle?).

pour. Sit for five seconds. Stir 10 seconds. Plunge takes about 30-60s. Pop the grinds and filter into your trasharoo or compost bin. Done.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I would recommend an aeropress. $20 on Amazon. Super quick and easy clean. And a small manual grinder with good burrs. Just get something to heat your water (electric kettle?).

pour. Sit for five seconds. Stir 10 seconds. Plunge takes about 30-60s. Pop the grinds and filter into your trasharoo or compost bin. Done.
There are five of us that camp together, so a press will not work. We drink pots of coffee, My camper will run the electric coffee maker, but I think i would just as soon use something like this.
Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk coffee, what is your set up? 1590501539473

I have two of these, but I end up with grounds in the coffee, or it is weak or two strong....

I am looking for tips and tricks for good coffee out of the of these. I have a bottle burner that goes with me that I can rapidly heat up the water with then I would not have to depend on the batteries in the camper and inverter for coffee.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
If you already have a percolator, great. Use it. If not, I recommend one WITHOUT the clear bulb on top. That is just waiting to get broken. Go with no bulb.

Ideally, 8 ounces of water warrants about 1 tablespoon of ground coffee for a perfect cup. Measure everything out while you are figuring out your pot. Be precise, until you know.

Keep the water below the holes for the spout when the water is cold.

Put the coffee in the grounds cup, carefully not dropping any down the boil spout or in the pot.

Put the heat to it! Watch it and don't let it boil over, and out the spout. Don't scorch it either.

I like to let mine perk for about 5 minutes. Some people like more, some like less.

Then, when it's done boiling, remove the grounds cup before you pour, otherwise you'll have grounds in your cup.

Your best bet is to get your ratios and cook time narrowed down at home, then you know *exactly* what to do in the field, and everyone will remember why they invited you on that trip.

Finally, and I can't stress this enough, use quality coffee, and grind it yourself. For a percolator, you'll need a courser grind than the holes in the grounds cup, or you'll need to use a filter. Stay away from paper, it acidifies the coffee.

I grind every 3 or 4 days at home, and I keep the coffee in a glass sealed Mason jar.

Go get you a Stanley Coffee Thermos, and when your coffee is finished cooking, pour it into the Thermos, so it stops cooking and doesn't get bad tasting.

Then make another pot.

Just like anything else. Practice makes perfect.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
If you already have a percolator, great. Use it. If not, I recommend one WITHOUT the clear bulb on top. That is just waiting to get broken. Go with no bulb.

Ideally, 8 ounces of water warrants about 1 tablespoon of ground coffee for a perfect cup. Measure everything out while you are figuring out your pot. Be precise, until you know.

Keep the water below the holes for the spout when the water is cold.

Put the coffee in the grounds cup, carefully not dropping any down the boil spout or in the pot.

Put the heat to it! Watch it and don't let it boil over, and out the spout. Don't scorch it either.

I like to let mine perk for about 5 minutes. Some people like more, some like less.

Then, when it's done boiling, remove the grounds cup before you pour, otherwise you'll have grounds in your cup.

Your best bet is to get your ratios and cook time narrowed down at home, then you know *exactly* what to do in the field, and everyone will remember why they invited you on that trip.

Finally, and I can't stress this enough, use quality coffee, and grind it yourself. For a percolator, you'll need a courser grind than the holes in the grounds cup, or you'll need to use a filter. Stay away from paper, it acidifies the coffee.

I grind every 3 or 4 days at home, and I keep the coffee in a glass sealed Mason jar.

Go get you a Stanley Coffee Thermos, and when your coffee is finished cooking, pour it into the Thermos, so it stops cooking and doesn't get bad tasting.

Then make another pot.

Just like anything else. Practice makes perfect.
Thank you. will start my practice in the morning. I currently use Black Rifle Coffee.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
No order of preference: On/off road - Portable French Press, Drip/pour over or Percolator, simple fresh and ready. Hiking - Via (light easy, fast) Coffee - Black Rifle, but a good ol' cup of joe is always good.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
i do the pour over just because it is the easiest to both stow and clean up

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard good things about the Black Rifle Coffee Co's instant brew, but haven't been able to find it in stock. I use an Aeropress at home and have a drip cup in the camp bin, but if it's as good as the reviews say I would be thrilled to leave that gear behind.
New camping setup test, Black Rifle instant sticks are good! Way better than the Starbucks Via in both taste and texture. They fully dissolve compared to the Via which was always a bit gritty to me.

Jetboil Flash had the water boiling in the time it took me to open the coffee box, way better than an open pot on the old Coleman stove!

Jeep Wrangler JL Let's talk coffee, what is your set up? EE7CC0E0-9655-43A5-A87A-C901FE4B891C
Sponsored