Let's talk coffee, what is your set up?

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I really love a good cup of coffee, but I have some very specific or OCD issues with most "camp/trail" coffee. I spent 20+ years in the Army and the right coffee is a challenge on the trail. I have even been to Outdoor retailer to test some "packable:" coffee. MEH!
Sponsored

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
I really love a good cup of coffee, but I have some very specific or OCD issues with most "camp/trail" coffee. I spent 20+ years in the Army and the right coffee is a challenge on the trail. I have even been to Outdoor retailer to test some "packable:" coffee. MEH!
Martin...I just yesterday purchased at Bass Pro Shop the GSI Coffee Rocket (about $10), and I already love it! I'm very particular about my Java in the morning, and this thing does not disappoint. I tried it right here at home figuring that if i wasn't satisfied, I'd simply return it today. But I'm definitely keeping it. So simple, easy to clean, easy to pack, and though not 'super' quick, it's plenty fast enough for me. For my first time using it this morning, I went from zero (meaning that I hadn't yet boiled the water) to my favorite dark roast with cream in 8:10. The actual time between pouring the hot water into the funnel and having your coffee is 2-3 minutes..

IMG_20200203_141118.jpg

IMG_20200204_081122.jpg

IMG_20200204_090713.jpg

IMG_20200204_090740.jpg

IMG_20200204_090849.jpg

IMG_20200204_091056.jpg

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
There's several you tube videos featuring The Coffee Rocket. One of the guys I was watching says it takes too long, and the coffee isn't hot enough. I'm not sure what he was doing wrong (maybe not heating the water enough??), but I had two 12oz mugs of dark roast this morning (about 1.5 times the size of the funnel that comes with the kit), and my coffee was hot to the last gulp .

OP
OP
Rumblefish

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not my pic, but I have almost all of these, Aero Press on the left makes a pretty good cup of coffee, but not enough to save someone elses life in my opinion if you know what I mean. The Java drip next to it is basically the same as the "Coffee Rocket", but is great for a thermos of coffee. and lastly the coffee press, I have one that is designed to go in a Nalgene bottle, what a mess cleaning that thing up....

coffee-2.jpg

OP
OP
Rumblefish

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And lets not forget the old faithful Percolator for those times when you want a bit of chew with your coffee! :rock:;)

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
OP
OP
Rumblefish

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard good things about the Black Rifle Coffee Co's instant brew, but haven't been able to find it in stock. I use an Aeropress at home and have a drip cup in the camp bin, but if it's as good as the reviews say I would be thrilled to leave that gear behind.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I make it using a pour-over, the same way that I usually make it at home. I didn't buy this stove exclusively for coffee but since I have it, I'm using it. The windscreen is essential if you use a stove like this. without it it takes over 15 minutes to boil water and right around 8 with the windscreen. the biggest difference between this and coffee at home is that at home i grind the beans fresh and this way I pre grind them but it's the same coffee. Whatever I'm really enjoying at the time. One of my favorites is Bella Donovan by Blue Bottle. Since it's just boiled water and coffee, I could easily swap the Aeropress or a rugged French Press but I just prefer pour over.

Stove: Snowpeak Giga power 2.o
Windscreen: Solostove Aluminum windscreen
Kettle: Hario V60 ------ I already had this but I'd get something more packable if I didn't.
Pourover : Started with a hario V60 but I found this foldable Snowpeak one. Black Rifle Coffee Company makes one that I'd like to try out as well.
Filter: I'm using Chemex filters now. some of the cheaper filters aren't quite rugged enough to pack but the Chemex ones don't have a pressed seam to rip, they are really strong.
mug : Snowpeak H-450 double walled mug.

Snowpeak.jpg

snowpeak2.jpg

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I got an Aeropress for this purpose but I found it to be too fussy. I just use a Ti Snowpeak press pot that I also use for backpacking.

Sponsored

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
About 40 oz or so of water is heated to 200 degrees F in a coffee pot on Coleman Stove or MSR Pocket Rocket (checked with a thermometer). I don't have a portable bean grinder (yet) so I ground beans before a trip and package in individual plastic bags, each bag with quantity needed for one pot. Grounds are put into REI French Press with water added. Press is covered, stirred once after 1 minute, re-covered, then ready after another 4 minutes. I buy my beans from coffeeam.com. This is same as how I prepare at home, but using an electric kettle. Bottoms up!

REI Co-op Table Top French Coffee Press - 48 fl. oz. | REI Co-op
https://www.rei.com/product/820451/rei-co-op-table-top-french-coffee-press-48-fl-oz

OP
OP
Rumblefish

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About 40 oz or so of water is heated to 200 degrees F in a coffee pot on Coleman Stove or MSR Pocket Rocket (checked with a thermometer). I don't have a portable bean grinder (yet) so I ground beans before a trip and package in individual plastic bags, each bag with quantity needed for one pot. Grounds are put into REI French Press with water added. Press is covered, stirred once after 1 minute, re-covered, then ready after another 4 minutes. I buy my beans from coffeeam.com. This is same as how I prepare at home, but using an electric kettle. Bottoms up!

REI Co-op Table Top French Coffee Press - 48 fl. oz. | REI Co-op
https://www.rei.com/product/820451/rei-co-op-table-top-french-coffee-press-48-fl-oz

JLsport19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I've heard good things about the Black Rifle Coffee Co's instant brew, but haven't been able to find it in stock. I use an Aeropress at home and have a drip cup in the camp bin, but if it's as good as the reviews say I would be thrilled to leave that gear behind.
Local gun shop here deals black rifle coffee. once they get a shipment in its gone quickly. anymore hes just taking orders for people directly lol cant keep it anywhere
Sponsored