Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So, one of my buds that I jeep with said that he was adding additional insurance to cover all of his mods and upgrades. He tell me that he has spent an additional 20 grand on his jeep and that if it was stolen or totaled, his normal full coverage insurance would not pay out even close to what his JLUR is worth.

This got me thinking that I may need to add additional coverage myself. My current insurance would only allow a 5 grand in addition coverage. That 5 grand in addition coverage was also stupid expensive and not even close to what I need, as I am in the 23 to 25 grand zone that I need.

So has anyone else added additional coverage and what is your experience with it?
Sponsored

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Glad you brought this up cause I'll be needing the same thing. Wondering if there are any insurance companies more attuned to this sort of thing than others

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Not only do you need to look at coverage for your mods, but if you off road your Jeep you’ll want to insure your policy doesn’t have exceptions for off road use. Many policies do have that.

I’m using thephoenixinsurance.com out of Texas. They are licensed for several states but I don’t know about Michigan. They got me a policy through Safeco. I now have coverage for $5000 in mods to my Raptor and I’ll soon have coverage for $10K in mods to my Wrangler. It wasn’t that much more expensive than going without mods. I also added my home insurance for a bigger discount. I really saved me money from my previous insurer.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Not only do you need to look at coverage for your mods, but if you off road your Jeep you’ll want to insure your policy doesn’t have exceptions for off road use. Many policies do have that.

I’m using thephoenixinsurance.com out of Texas. They are licensed for several states but I don’t know about Michigan. They got me a policy through Safeco. I now have coverage for $5000 in mods to my Raptor and I’ll soon have coverage for $10K in mods to my Wrangler. It wasn’t that much more expensive than going without mods. I also added my home insurance for a bigger discount. I really saved me money from my previous insurer.
I have had Safeco for years on my JK. Excellent insurance company.

Sponsored

DirtyCreeker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2021 JLU Rubicon
Might want to check with Hagerty Insurance. I know they insure "classic" cars, but I don't know if they do Jeeps. I had them quote my old pick up truck and they were actually a little cheaper by themselves than my regular insurance company was with all the discounts.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I use American Family. I provided pictures along with receipts reflecting the value of the mods and am charged a very small up charge for the additions. Something like $60 per year for $8,000 in mods.
Sponsored